House Price Crash Forum

Brown In Key Talks To Save Vauxhall Jobs

HOLA441

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbys...xhall-jobs.html

Gordon Brown will lead a Government delegation to Ellesmere Port in Cheshire this week for talks that could safeguard the future of thousands of jobs at Vauxhall, the car maker.

The Prime Minister is expected to meet senior management at General Motors (GM) UK on Tuesday to discuss proposals for the car maker's new electric Ampera model to be produced at the Ellesmere Port plant.

The talks will also feature Lord Mandelson, the Business Secretary, amid Government hopes that the plant becomes one of the leading electric car makers in Europe.

GM hopes to build 220,000 plug-in hybrids in the UK every year to 2015 and has already met with Mr Brown to secure tax breaks to produce the new model. The car maker is also thought to want the Prime Minister to order public charging points for electric cars to be installed on thousands of British streets.

GM's European arm was last week sold to a consortium that promised to safeguard only German jobs after the Berlin government promised billions of pounds of sweeteners to the company. The deal will give the Canadian company Magna and Sberbank, the Russian bank, a 55pc stake in the operation, with the remaining 35pc held by Opel and 10pc by the company's employees.

Around 10,000 jobs are at risk across Europe, with the new consortium planning cuts worth an estimated £719m, equivalent to shutting three of GM's nine European plants.

Considering Brown's skills in these matters if I worked for Vauxhall I'd be praying to god something happens so he can't attend. Everywhere he goes job losses follow.

Is this the death knell for Vauxhall?

HOLA442
HOLA443
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbys...xhall-jobs.html

Considering Brown's skills in these matters if I worked for Vauxhall I'd be praying to god something happens so he can't attend. Everywhere he goes job losses follow.

Is this the death knell for Vauxhall?

Yep. Negative midas touch or perhaps the Jonah touch? Everything he touches turns to shit!

Edited by markinspain

HOLA444