Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Cut Public Spending, Say Voters

Recommended Posts

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/poli...icle6832427.ece

Voters are overwhelmingly in favour of cutting public spending rather than tax rises to close the budget black hole, a Sunday Times/YouGov poll finds today.

Sixty per cent want to shrink the size of the state to curb the £175 billion deficit amid mounting government disarray over the public finances.

The survey finds that just 21% would prefer the government to raise taxes to close the growing gap between what the Treasury spends and what it receives in revenue.

The findings will put further pressure on Gordon Brown, who has already announced plans for increases in income tax for the wealthy and in National Insurance.

There was growing evidence last night that ministers are still divided over how to respond to the public clamour for a spending squeeze. The cabinet disagreement comes as backbench Labour rebels begin to muster for a final bid to oust Brown from the leadership before the general election.

In his speech to the TUC conference in Liverpool on Tuesday, the prime minister will acknowledge the need for “tough choices in public spendingâ€, but will imply that these can be made without cutting jobs or services.

Brown will say a Labour government will “protect public services†and “invest in the futureâ€, contrasting his approach with the Tories’ “obsessive anti-state ideologyâ€.

The prime minister is understood to have told union bosses during a private Chequers meeting last Friday that public sector jobs would be safe under a future Labour government.

“We won’t take any spending decisions which would in any way slow the recovery,†Brown said at the meeting. One union baron said: “The prime minister bent over backwards to make it clear that our members’ jobs would be safe.â€

However, tomorrow Lord Mandelson will send out a much tougher message on public spending. In a speech to Progress, the Blairite think tank, the business secretary is expected to warn of “less spending in some programmes†and to admit that some government projects may have to be scrapped altogether.

Brown is a deluded feckwit surely even the union bosses aren't that stupid to believe his lies. Low paid workers should be protected it's the pointless management positions that need to go as well as big cuts in salaries of the higher paid public sector workers.

Low paid workers need protecting as they spend most of their cash in the economy so cutting there wages significantly would cause huge problems.

However management would rather cut low paid workers salaries than there own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/poli...icle6832427.ece

Brown is a deluded feckwit surely even the union bosses aren't that stupid to believe his lies. Low paid workers should be protected it's the pointless management positions that need to go as well as big cuts in salaries of the higher paid public sector workers.

Low paid workers need protecting as they spend most of their cash in the economy so cutting there wages significantly would cause huge problems.

However management would rather cut low paid workers salaries than there own.

60% want cuts the other 40% work for the state.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
60% want cuts the other 40% work for the state.

I am sure you were just being cynical, but there are lots of people who work for the state who want to see spending cut - I am one of them!

What pisses me off is the way (particularly the BBC) spin it as if public spending cuts == less nurses, police, firemen.

That's not where the money needs to be cut - it's the countless quangos, middle management, froth that needs to be cut.

Let's see if they cancel the ID card program? Privatise the BBC? Olympics?

******ing joke the whole situation.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Let's see if they cancel the ID card program? Privatise the BBC? Olympics?

******ing joke the whole situation.......

Keep saying to yourself "They wont be in power by June 2010" It makes for a much happier frame of mind I find. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The 21% that voted for tax increases will be those in retirement.

Probably. Wealth is relative innit. If you're a non tax payer and tax goes up a lot for the rest, you're a winner!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Setting the dinner places on the Titanic...............Just hope the "Big one" hits while Brown is still there..........Labour will be gone forever.

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • The Prime Minister stated that there were three Brexit options available to the UK:   296 members have voted

    1. 1. Which of the Prime Minister's options would you choose?


      • Leave with the negotiated deal
      • Remain
      • Leave with no deal

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.