Realistbear

HOLA441

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8252966.stm

Page last updated at 08:05 GMT, Sunday, 13 September 2009 09:05 UK

E-mail this to an enemy Printable version

PM says UK recovering but fragile

People queue outside job centre in Bristol

There are fears unemployment could top three million by the end of the year

Britain is on the road towards recovery but things remain fragile, Prime Minister Gordon Brown will tell the TUC's annual congress this week.

..../

In his speech, Mr Brown will say: "People's livelihoods and homes and savings are still hanging in the balance, and so today I say to you: don't put the recovery at risk.

......./

Despite recent signs of a tentative economic recovery, there are fears that the number of people out of work could top the three million mark by the end of the year.

Can't help but notice the "you" in the highlighted bit. Advance blame being placed on others. So typical for this gentleman who seeks re-election.

The bottom line remains unaltered. Unemployment for millions beckons.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Britain is on the road towards recovery but things remain fragile, Prime Minister Gordon Brown will tell the TUC's annual congress this week.

..../

In his speech, Mr Brown will say: "People's livelihoods and homes and savings are still hanging in the balance, and so today I say to you: don't put the recovery at risk.

......./

Despite recent signs of a tentative economic recovery, there are fears that the number of people out of work could top the three million mark by the end of the year.

Can't help but notice the "you" in the highlighted bit. Advance blame being placed on others. So typical for this gentleman who seeks re-election.

not long ago the 'you' would have meant the banks. Now it's all encompassing.....everyone has to do their bit - trade unions to drop silly wage demands [or indeed any kind of wage demands] the msm to do their bit by talking the economic recovery up and by not critizicing gordon's heroic policy responses :rolleyes: , the BoE to keep IR's at 0.5%all in the aim of restoring positive sentiment amongst the gbp to pay down their mortgages AND buy shiny new cars.......better to gorge on the abundance of free money than turn off the taps in the belief things are back on an even keel. Gordo is warning of the double dip.

it's also code for 'don't vote for tory cuts.' :rolleyes:

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
Time to fire up the war machine and conscript these nobody's eh?

Oops. I thought it was 1909! Silly me.

Oh well, I guess we're just going to have to deal with them.

And all these unemployed and most likely unskilled folk are going to be making babies. Lots and lots of them.

The future looks blight.

well, brown does sound distinctly 'dig for victory' when he talks about the recovereh.

HOLA449

..../

......./

It's a coded reference to the winter of discontent when a weak (but viable) Labour government's chances of re-election were squandered by self-destructive union militancy (or so the argument runs). This has always been the position of the social democrats in the Labour party (and indeed part of the reason the gang of four split).

According to this account of events, this militancy permitted an anti-Labour, anti-union press to portray Britain on the edge of chaos and so let Thatcher into No 10 on a small majority. The re-writing of history (to show Thatcher as shoe-in on an inevitable path to victory) downplays how far from certain the outcome of the 1979 election was. At the time Thatcher's popularity was far from sealed and her stealing of the National Front's fears of 'a flood of immigrants' was part of this exercise to rally the troops.

HOLA4410

Bloo Loo recession bonds are in great demand.

PM me with your bank details so a monthly standing order can be set up to the Loo fund.

The fund guarantees, all the bonds will be spent wisely into the consumer economy.

(terms and conditions apply, you will lose all your investment but be satisfied your money is well spent in the interest of the economy)

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
It strikes me that the warm up for an October election is now underway. Codron might just scrape it as well given the "signs of recovereh".

Brown is running out of time, this recovery could be over by Christmas so leaving an election to next year would be suicide.

Personally I think if Q3 figures have growth in them Labour will go for it as they will be the party of recovery.

HOLA4414
Now it's all encompassing.....everyone has to do their bit - trade unions to drop silly wage demands [or indeed any kind of wage demands]

If there was no debt this would be possible, you trade your desire for more wealth with having an economy and jobs.

But now, thanks to all the debt and pulling forward future earnings, if we don't have high wages the economy collapses.

Ooops.

HOLA4415
it's also code for 'don't vote for tory cuts.'

Fear is the key to NuLab's chances at the next election (extremely slim even so). Voldemort will rely on public workers voting NuLab (the Tories will axe your job), private workers still lucky enough to be in work (Don't put at risk the recovery!), and anyone else who is teetering on the precipice. Of course the question "Who got us to this point?" will be blamed on the bankers and shysters in the City.

Mmm, I've been of the opinion that the Tories will walk the next election. But, who knows what FEAR may do to people's voting intentions?

HOLA4416
Brown is running out of time, this recovery could be over by Christmas so leaving an election to next year would be suicide.

Personally I think if Q3 figures have growth in them Labour will go for it as they will be the party of recovery.

You're assuming the man isn't deluded. If he truly believes his policies are going to bring about a strong recovery, then he'll hang on until May, assuming that the economy will get stronger and the voters will reward him.

HOLA4417
How I wish Brown and the Labour party would just sod off.

How much longer do we have to put up with this drivel? It's like living in the matrix ffs.

Another 5 years, although it will get worse after the next election as brown will deem himself to have a mandate to do what he likes.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

..../

......./

Brown has told the union leaders what they want to hear, that their members jobs, pay and conditions are safe.

However the union leaders must know from experience that Brown cannot be trusted, he will promise the earth and

then do the opposite.

Brown is also saying to the public sector unions if you take industrial action to resist the job cuts then you will put the recovery of the country and peoples livelihoods at risk, so he is putting the onus on them.

But why would Brown be concerned about industrial action if he didnt intend to cut jobs, pay and conditions?

The union leaders will sell their members out by going along with Browns plans and then give the excuse that he tricked them.

HOLA4420
Guest absolutezero
Fear is the key to NuLab's chances at the next election (extremely slim even so). Voldemort will rely on public workers voting NuLab (the Tories will axe your job), private workers still lucky enough to be in work (Don't put at risk the recovery!), and anyone else who is teetering on the precipice. Of course the question "Who got us to this point?" will be blamed on the bankers and shysters in the City.

Mmm, I've been of the opinion that the Tories will walk the next election. But, who knows what FEAR may do to people's voting intentions?

A Tory win is definitely not a done deal.

HOLA4421
You're assuming the man isn't deluded. If he truly believes his policies are going to bring about a strong recovery, then he'll hang on until May, assuming that the economy will get stronger and the voters will reward him.

He has power until May, all he is about is being in "power" he will not let go until he has to, it`s really that sad,but good for the country as he will be slaughtered at the election.

HOLA4422

don't we all have to take responsibility anyway, to a degree, the electorate, unions, banks, private anbd public sectors. we all have to bear some pain.

95%+ of the electorate bought into the bubble, even tories I knew thought house prices would rise forever, and labour were fairly democratically elected 3 times on the run, it's not like it was a military coup.

Edited by Si1

HOLA4423
Guest absolutezero
don't we all have to take responsibility anyway, to a degree, the electorate, unions, banks, private anbd public sectors. we all have to bear some pain.

95%+ of the electorate bought into the bubble, even tories I knew thought house prices would rise forever, and labour were fairly democratically elected 3 times on the run, it's not like it was a military coup.

I'm far from convinced it would have been any different under a Tory administration.

HOLA4424
a typically selfish viewpoint for this site, the redistribution of your frugality to debt monkeys should be welcomed by you. "Its the right thing to do"

I don't know that it should be welcomed but it's inevitable:your (and my) savings are the debt-monkey's IOUs.

What did anybody think was going to happen?

(Just be grateful your credit account with the debt-monkeys is not as large as China's :P )

HOLA4425
I'm far from convinced it would have been any different under a Tory administration.

one difference being their instinct not to over-spend; I think the govt fiscal position would have been much healthier, the puyblic sector less bloated, but still expanded as this was the concensus, but the bubble probably would still have happened.