House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bob Loblaw

Ghost Fleet

Some interesting pictures and stats in this article on how the recession is affecting shipping. Well worth a look:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/ar...-recession.html

article-1212013-06435781000005DC-710_634x403.jpg

This time last year, an Aframax tanker capable of carrying 80,000 tons of cargo would cost £31,000 a day ($50,000). Now it is about £3,400 ($5,500).
Some experts believe the ratio of container ships sitting idle could rise to 25 per cent within two years in an extraordinary downturn that shipping giant Maersk has called a 'crisis of historic dimensions'. Last month the company reported its first half-year loss in its 105-year history
Do not tell these men and women about green shoots of recovery. As Briton Tim Huxley, one of Asia's leading ship brokers, says, if the world is really pulling itself out of recession, then all these idle ships should be back on the move.

saw a dozen or so tankers high in the water moored off Felixstowe Yesterday.

Guest happy?

A visit to Falmouth in June saw several ships being brought out of mothball as trade had started to pick-up again - these were car transports.

A visit to Falmouth in June saw several ships being brought out of mothball as trade had started to pick-up again - these were car transports.

Tee Hee.

Can you hotwire a tanker? If so, count me in - doing donuts in one of those things must be hilarious.

and with huge fuel tanks, could be a long long ride.

Guest happy?
Are there people on board these ships, or could you just drive out to one and go for a quick joy ride?

There's a skeleton crew on board - the ones I've sailed past outside Portsmouth harbour were doing their laundry and looking bored. Those in Lyme Bay said it was soul-destroying - low pay and nothing to do:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2009/apr/...-video?page=all

Guest happy?
Can you hotwire a tanker? If so, count me in - doing donuts in one of those things must be hilarious.

Rescue at sea by one of these is very hit and miss as they don't turn on a sixpence and when docking these things are pulled/pushed in and out of position by sea-going tugs (usually 2-3 tugs are used when I've seen them dock at Fawley)

There's been unladen tankers sitting off Lowestoft all summer. Apparently, they're transferring oil from the bigger ones to the smaller ones. It's made the headlines in the local rag.

http://www.lowestoftjournal.co.uk/content/...3A40%3A32%3A810

Not a new exercise, but the numbers involved are far greater than I've ever seen in my 37 years in Lowestoft.

Lol. Not much goes on in Lowestoft then?

Well, the story is more to do with the risk of oil spillage against the benefits of having seaman boosting the local economy by getting shitfaced in local pubs.