House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest BoomBoomCrash

Emergent Behavior In Basic Robot

The urge to project soem form of 'personality' onto even something as simple as this is surprisingly strong. Long before we have true sentient robots we will feel as if we have them,simply because as a species we have an incredible tendancy to anthropomorphise the universe.

I was watching a truly bizzare childrens show on tv the other day- a sort of teletubbies on acid, populated by all manner of weird creatures with names like 'iggle piggle' and 'whoops e daisy'. These creatures were mostly humonid but did not look remotely human- some were blue, some had no arms or legs ect.

But this was a show aimed a pre school children- and whoever made that show was totaly confident that those toddlers could handle with ease the mental mapping involved in identifying with these bizzre entites- in fact took totaly for granted that a 3 year old would engage emotionaly with such unreal and unlikely beings.

So while it may be true that 'true' sentience in a robot is far in the future, the subjective experience of feeling that a robot is sentient may be a lot closer than that.

Guest eight
I was watching a truly bizzare childrens show on tv the other day- a sort of teletubbies on acid, populated by all manner of weird creatures with names like 'iggle piggle' and 'whoops e daisy'. These creatures were mostly humonid but did not look remotely human- some were blue, some had no arms or legs ect.

"In the Night Garden" - small children seem utterly transfixed by it, it seems to speak to them on some kind of pre-language level. The team behind it are the same as Teletubbies; they must really have a handle on what makes kids tick. Tin foil hatters could probably have a field day speculating about the messages contained therein.....

eight

Yup, dunno how or why that behaviour first arose but it's definately become natural for us to want to imbue inert things with life.

what about this one then? :ph34r:

i can see the scientific merit of this but can't help feeling they've accidentally invented an incredibly cruel form of torture. :(

Guest Skinty
Yup, dunno how or why that behaviour first arose but it's definately become natural for us to want to imbue inert things with life.

what about this one then? :ph34r:

i can see the scientific merit of this but can't help feeling they've accidentally invented an incredibly cruel form of torture. :(

I disagree with the line that it's the only robot that can truly learn. Sounds like wetware snobbery to me.

Also, aren't they forgetting previous work that connected the brain of a lamphrey fish to a kephera robot?

The video itself wasn't particularly enlightening as to the merits of using a rat brain for the behaviour that you could see from the robot.

As to the OP, that modular robot, although impressive, doesn't rely on emergent behaviour to perform those movements if you download and read the paper (go to google scholar). They use a global planner and rule matching. It would be interesting to see what could be achieved using self-organisation with no global planner.

As to the OP, that modular robot, although impressive, doesn't rely on emergent behaviour to perform those movements if you download and read the paper (go to google scholar). They use a global planner and rule matching.

can you explain these in a short para? am I best off just wikipedia'ing it, or does the paper explain well anyway??