HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I remember reading about this project with incredulity some years ago. It seemed the islands were not just ridiculously expensive, but also incredibly tacky. Did people not have better ways to spend their millions?

On the same theme, I have long thought the idea of Dubai as a high-end holiday destination and business hub seemed a bit far fetched. It all felt like it was supported by the boom years of 2001-2007 (cheap flights and people having lots of money to 'invest').

Still, a small slice of Schadenfreude with a nice cup of tea always make me feel better about the UK property miracle. :lol:

However, it is very sad about the investor who bought "Ireland". A pile of sand is 'worth' £27m but how much is a life worth?

QB

HOLA449
Guest skullingtonjoe
To quote Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum:

"....But people only throw stones when a tree has fruit."

Very profound. Reminds me of Cantona babbling on about seagulls and trawlers.

I thought that too - just what the heck is the guy talking about?

Has he lost touch with reality now he`s a few dollars down? :rolleyes: (Anyway, he`s got it wrong - it`s about glass houses in fact!)

HOLA4410
Guest skullingtonjoe
£27,000,000 for a pile of sand in the sea.

I don't think we'll see property misinvestment on this scale for a long time to come.

Right. I`m going to invade and conquer the Isle of Wight and then sell slices of it off to the highest bidder! :rolleyes:

HOLA4411
"The world's most expensive shipping hazard".

rofl.

:lol: When you check out some of the promotional videos, it looks like the boat traffic to, from and between the islands will be horrifically busy. The promotional videos for the island's show horrible overdevelopment. So pay through the nose to be crammed on a desert island surrounded by the M25 of boat traffic. Then there's the sewage problems, which they have not yet solved on the mainland. God knows what the effect of desalinasation to water these islands.

HOLA4412
I thought that too - just what the heck is the guy talking about?

Has he lost touch with reality now he`s a few dollars down? :rolleyes: (Anyway, he`s got it wrong - it`s about glass houses in fact!)

Admitedly I know not the conversation nor context with which this was said but maybe he meant that people only fight/argue over something when there's a prize worth fighting over. Maybe?