House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ash4781

Minister Pledges Cash For Affordable Homes

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/local/...fordable_homes/

THOUSANDS of people awaiting affordable housing in Worcester received a timely boost when the Government pledged nearly £750,000 for new homes in the city.

Housing Minister John Healey made the much-needed announcement yesterday as part of a £250 million scheme to build thousands of affordable homes across the country.

Affordable homes are houses where the rent or sale price are kept artificially low to ensure first-time buyers and people on lower incomes have somewhere to live.

Worcester’s £735,000 grant will pay for just 15 new affordable homes in the city, however. The Government also announced funding for three affordable homes in Wychavon and 18 in Herefordshire.

Worcester’s Labour MP Mike Foster said: “This means more affordable homes for the city, and it’s a further £735,000 into the local economy – so there will be jobs created in the construction trade and a knock-on effect in other parts of the economy too.

“People are getting homes they need and the economy is being boosted at this critical time when we look as if we’re coming out of the recession, and so can’t afford to sit back. Investment in these sorts of public works are just what we need.â€

Worcester’s desperate shortage of affordable housing is well-documented, and it was revealed last year that the city’s housing waiting list holds more than 3,000 names.

There was confusion last night over where the 15 new homes will be built, with neither Worcester City Council nor housing association Worcester Community Housing able to say where the development will be.

Housing minister Mr Healey said only that more than four-fifths of the new homes across the country will be for rental use, with the rest available to buy, and that work would start on many developments before the end of the year.

He said in a statement: “The £250 million funding will help tackle the shortage of affordable homes across the country, so associations can build the homes that families need. It will also provide a much-needed shot in the arm for construction jobs.â€

Housing minister announces 250mn. Sounds a lot but my maths made it around 4000 units. Oh wait it actually only buys 3,400 units http://www.building.co.uk/story.asp?sectio...3148624&c=0 .Worcester gets 15 units but there's only 'thousands' on the waiting list so 15 should solve that problem got to love government. As the MP says “People are getting homes they need and the economy is being boosted at this critical time when we look as if we’re coming out of the recession, and so can’t afford to sit back. Investment in these sorts of public works are just what we need.â€

For those 15 units on the annoucement I make it they can get 15/3400*5000 = 22.05 jobs.

Even worse though alot of this 'investment' (atleast in Scotland context) appears to be rolled foward so in future years leaving http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8251524.stm . Oh deary me.

I've never really understood how council housing seems to cost so much. From what I can see the real cost seems to be getting land with planning permission. In my part of the world, the council own a lot of land that currently doesn't have planning permission and control the planning department. I've never known why they couldn't grant themselves planning permission and build the necessary housing.

I know this is a very simplistic view, but I still can't understand why it wouldn't work. My local council has gone on record to say there are x thousand people on their waiting lists in urgent need of housing and that they'll never get a council house in their lifetime. It seems to be the prevailiing view that there will never be enough council housing so if they only build 10 a year thats better than nothing because they never plan to build enough.