House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RDW

Property Bee Needs Some Help

Hi

Not my area of expertise but the lad who runs property bee needs a hand, so as it is a brilliant tool, I thought I would bring his message to a wider audiance.

* Report this post

Re: An apology and hopefully looking towards the future

New postby Beerhunter on Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:39 pm

Thank you to everyone for their very kind comments, its humbling.

Yes I'm trying to look after myself, however I must admit still feel I'm leaving you in the lurch because everyone has been so positive about property-bee.

I'm been thinking a lot and hope some of you can help....

At the moment its very much a one man show... me, and more importantly;

* if I (to use a phrase) "get hit by a bus" then things stop.

* the time required for admin stuff (sorting out registration problems / coping with spam posts) means there's much less time for developement work

I'd like to try and make the development and management of property-bee a bit more "distributed", ie so no one person is "critical" to its operation.

So I've come up with some projects that would help me and everyone who uses property bee out;

1) Toolbar 2.0.x bug fixes

* To fix bugs / do updates to the current version of the toolbar

* Requires some knowledge of javascript/xpaths

* Source code is under subversion control

* Bug reports are currently tracked using Mantis

* Hopefully this will take some development pressure off me, tho I still intend to be involved (ideally more as release manager role)

2) Implement a toolbar management web interface

* Currently to fix / sort out registration problems I use phpMyAdmin :-0

* What would be nice would be a web interface which others (eg property-bee mods etc) could use to fix registration problems

* Requires php/mysql/phpBB3 knowledge

* This is user interface non-existent at the moment, so its starting from scratch

* This would allow property-bee mods to help sort out registration problems, rather than just me via phpMyAdmin!

3) Implement a web based support interface

* Rather than email based support provide a web based interface so a group of mods/developers can provide assistance.

* Perhaps interfacing with the bug tracking system (Mantis) to insert new (non public) tickets?

* Requires php/mysql/Mantis knowledge

* This is user interface non-existent at the moment, so its starting from scratch

* This should allow property-bee mods to help sort out registration problems, rather than just me dealing with all the emailed problems

4) Toolbar 3.0.x

* I have the building blocks for the next major version of toolbar written in javascript

* its missing the application level code, but a large part of the lower levels is there and tested

* Includes a unit test framework, a modified version of jslint running inside the toolbar to check source code, javascript namespaces, an implementation of "signals & slots", database access via connection/recordsets, assertions, a profiler, code to dynamically build sql queries based on a schema, an early implementation of model/view/controller widgets, various classes for file access, wrappers around ajax stuff and the ability to register add-ons with the toolbar

* This is truly cutting edge original stuff, however there is still lots to do.. including all the application layer, finishing off model/view/controller widgets, creating a new local database schema

* There's no release date set yet, but would be nice to get a version out to test towards the end of the year

* This does require good javascript knowledge tho, if you're an expert in YUI, jquery or xpcom then this might interest you!

5) Backend/database

* This is running smoothly and doesn't need anything done to it!

6) Website

* Generally I think its ok, tho if anyone has any improvements I'd be interested in hearing

* Currently uses php, mysql and smarty

7) More mods

* Once 2) and 3) are up and running we will probably need more mods to help out with management tasks

8) Admin (Server/donations/releases)

* I'll continue to run this

If your interested in helping one of the above or what more info, let me know esp if you meet the requirements... if you don't don't worry hopefully we can get a group of developers that can help each other out when we get stuck.

http://www.property-bee.com/forum/viewtopi...mp;p=3040#p3040

This tool is the most usefull on the web and it would be a shame if it went under, (and it could also be a nice little earner as well).

Not my area of expertise but the lad who runs property bee needs a hand, so as it is a brilliant tool, I thought I would bring his message to a wider audiance.

Thanks. Now I have to decide if I have the time to take a look at it.

This tool is the most usefull on the web and it would be a shame if it went under, (and it could also be a nice little earner as well).

I wouldn't expect it to be enough of an earner for beerhunter to quit his day job, let alone share the loot!

The strategy doesn't look robust to me. He's keeping running the server to himself, but that's precisely the thing noone else could easily take over if he suddenly became unavailable - unless there's a co-admin he's not telling us about. So it doesn't really seem to meet the objectives he hints at, even if he gets some good volunteers. But still, opening development can't hurt.

This tool is the most usefull on the web and it would be a shame if it went under,

I certainly agree, it would be a great shame if it went under, I'd be lost without it.

Will ask round some techys I know, and see if any can help.

I certainly agree, it would be a great shame if it went under, I'd be lost without it.

Will ask round some techys I know, and see if any can help.

I'd do it but I charge £95 per hour.

c# is so 1990's. If he's not using php and mysql forget it. He's not even a player.

PHP is a great favourite amongst dabblers, but always rings warning-bells. It's a problem built right into the system if it grows to the point of needing to scale up. Not that I'd want to switch it to anything else (let alone C#) without at the very least first knowing it well enough to see clear benefits.

The EU is in danger of killing off MySQL, by giving us up to four months more of FUD about it.