House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

I've Got A Bad Feeling About All This...

I cant put my finger on it but something isnt quite right.

Stock market going up.

House asking prices still silly even though everyone knows prices are down 20%

Houses selling for silly money.

It's like the banking collapse didnt happen.

BUT IT DID !!!

You cant just fix this and start ramping up house prices with no price to pay.

Looking at all the figures it just doesnt add up and something's got to give. I have a terrible feeling that when it does pop it's going to be worse for everyone.

What will be the thing that happens next to bring down this pyramid of cards ?

Well actually, to maintain parity between the 'value' of things and your previous exchange rate everything does have to go up. Check the value of your favourite British company in American $ or Euros today against its price in the same currency at the rates that were around then, a year ago.

Well actually, to maintain parity between the 'value' of things and your previous exchange rate everything does have to go up. Check the value of your favourite British company in American $ or Euros today against its price in the same currency at the rates that were around then, a year ago.

Who says parity has to be maintained ?

We have no right to be a first world country...just a history of it.

I cant put my finger on it but something isnt quite right.

House asking prices still silly even though everyone knows prices are down 20%

Houses selling for silly money.

If they're selling for silly money then they can't be down 20%.

Where I am they're almost back to peak - and selling.

We're on the losing side of the game here - for now. It can't go on forever but don't assume a collapse is imminent - another 2 years of HPI, at least, is quite possible, unfortunately. Nightmare. :(

Its the crack-up boom.

Many people I talk to outside banking are convinced the QE will lead to hyperinflation so they think they need to move their cash into tangible assets and their favourite asset is housing. The loan will become worthless they reason so they pay silly money.

Of couse this is what the government "want" you to do. Which is why I´m doing the opposite.

Guest skullingtonjoe
Its the crack-up boom.

Many people I talk to outside banking are convinced the QE will lead to hyperinflation so they think they need to move their cash into tangible assets and their favourite asset is housing. The loan will become worthless they reason so they pay silly money.

Of couse this is what the government "want" you to do. Which is why I´m doing the opposite.

You can`t believe everything you read in the papers...or even see on the TV.

Just how the heck do we go from being in a recession one week, then next week a miraculous recovery appears like 5000 loaves of bread? This is just all BS.

Being a contrarian is a good attitude at the moment (some would call me a cynical git of course). Still, I`m not listening to the nonsense being spouted regarding the recovery - I`m too busy watching

/
. (Suggest you guys check the links for TV heaven!) ;) Edited by skullingtonjoe

Eavesdropping and chatting with aquaintances of late, no-one believes that the recession is over. It is not what they are seeing in their lives and businesses.

Its the crack-up boom.

It sure is. the problem caused by low interest rates and excessive borrowing has been fixed with low interest rates and excessive borrowing.

The trick is to milk this new bubble for all its worth. Many on here missed the first (real estate) The new one will be stocks, in particular commodity stocks. Leveraged assets like houses will not be a beneficiary this time.

Scary to watch it will be. :ph34r:

We live in a world now where everything is expected to happen so fast....booms, busts, relationships, jobs etc. The fact remains that we still work the same hours, a 25 year mortgage still takes 25 years to pay off, we get old at the same pace, lunch takes just as long to digest etc as 100 years ago and this is why, rightly, you are nervous. History books are already written about the 2008 recession and we are being measured at every print of a ticker tape. From the tenor of the average HPC contributor, I'd say consensus is that the world should slow down and with that perspective this current exuberance will prove to be as unfounded as WMD in Iraq.

Calm down bretheren.

This is just another aspect of the miracle economy.

Rising unemployment means everything else must rise.

We will soon reach the plateau.

There will be chocolate (& gold) for all.

The fact remains that we still work the same hours, a 25 year mortgage still takes 25 years to pay off,

nah, a 25yr mortgage taken out in 1997 took less long to pay off than a 25yr mortgage taken out in 2007, give or take, if you weren't stupid

bang on

its the 70s all over again

more of the same sausage machine

print more money

more muppets will buy into it

more fat ugly blonde birds driving more audi sports cars

That is where you are wrong, it is not the 70s over again....it is different this time, anyway in the 70s we did not have audis and there were not so many fat and uglyies.

This is what is worrying me............they'll pay for the past with inflation.

Won't the countries that lend money to us have something to say about this? Or maybe they just won't lend to us again.