House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TylerDurden

Good News

ive done a quick scan on rightmove for similar houses to the one im renting in cardiff. they really have dropped the asking prices. I'm paying 550 pm for a 2 bedder, the cheapest on rightmove like mine is 425 pm, thats back to 2003 levels. they were up around 600 only 6 months ago.

i want to ask for a reduction but not sure how to go about it.

ive done a quick scan on rightmove for similar houses to the one im renting in cardiff. they really have dropped the asking prices. I'm paying 550 pm for a 2 bedder, the cheapest on rightmove like mine is 425 pm, thats back to 2003 levels. they were up around 600 only 6 months ago.

i want to ask for a reduction but not sure how to go about it.

Is your contract due for renewal?

If it is, quote your findings. If not, bad luck.

I have no contract, i signed a 6month contract when i moved in, that was 7 years ago.

Then you have a HUGE argument for drop!

Your LL must love you, and I assume you have a good relationship with hmi/her; so a drop is on the cards.

I just rang the landlord and explained the situation. he was really good about it and said he would look into his budgets and finances and get back to me, he said if he could help me out he would.

I'm eager to see what he offers, i'll keep the thread updated as it unfolds.

I just rang the landlord and explained the situation. he was really good about it and said he would look into his budgets and finances and get back to me, he said if he could help me out he would.

I'm eager to see what he offers, i'll keep the thread updated as it unfolds.

Umm, this is not about HIS budgets and finances. You could walk and get a cheaper flat!

This is about whether he wants to keep a good tenant.

Its about Both though isnt it. What i need from him is a competitively priced rent. I dont want to move, it costs big money to move house, So theres no point pushing him untill he's uncomfortable. if he's not making money on the rent, he may as well sell the house, he bought it many years ago so I doubt it owes him much. I dont expect him to be in this buisness for nothing. And he's a good landlord, which IS hard to find.

And yes, he will want to keep me happy, as i pay the rent on time evry month and have done for the last 7 years. He knows i'm worth keeping so i'm sure he will do what he can. Although no phone call as of yet!!

well.

I went round to see him, he said if i was planning to stay for another year he would knock 30 quid off for us. i was hoping for more, was hoping for 50. But he's not in his buisness for fun, he needs to make his money, and funnily enough, we did chat about house prices and he thought they were going to start falling hard soon.

Anyway i walked out with 30 quid in my pocket instead of nothing so it felt pretty good. I know most of you wil think i should have stood in his kitchen and argued but i really dont think it would have got me far and he's a great landlord.

I'm paying 550 pm for a 2 bedder, the cheapest on rightmove like mine is 425 pm
I went round to see him, he said if i was planning to stay for another year he would knock 30 quid off for us.....Anyway i walked out with 30 quid in my pocket instead of nothing so it felt pretty good.

Hmmm maybe I should be going into Buy-to-Let, sounds like there really is a regular supply of muppets out there.

So you are paying 520 for something that is being OFFERED for 95 a week less? Yes it's a pain moving (I've done it 10 times at least so appreciate that), but it's a hassle for the landlord to get tenants, you should be making the point that you like the place, are happy for it, and happy to pay a fair market price for it. But doesn't sound like you got down to those levels...

Hmmm maybe I should be going into Buy-to-Let, sounds like there really is a regular supply of muppets out there.

So you are paying 520 for something that is being OFFERED for 95 a week less? Yes it's a pain moving (I've done it 10 times at least so appreciate that), but it's a hassle for the landlord to get tenants, you should be making the point that you like the place, are happy for it, and happy to pay a fair market price for it. But doesn't sound like you got down to those levels...

No, its 95 a month, not a week.

Ye i may go and look at a few cheaper ones, but to be honest ive had a think and just want to get out of Cardiff within the next 2 years so i probably wont want to move. yes i could save by moving, and yes, it is just me being lazy.

yes, your right, BTL is a seriously good game to be in, if you were clever enough to get in early.

I think collect the details over the cheaper unit and even view it why not and politly ask the landlord for a reduction in rents its a shot to nothing no harm done and if the other unit is fine you could be hard line and say I will take the new one unless a reasonable reduction is made.

No harm in asking in a nice manner given your options.