House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Horridbloke

Desperate Populism

I see in the news that our highland cyclops overlord has issued a very posthumous pardon to Alan Turing, the key man behind Bletchley Park's world war 2 code breaking efforts. This is hot on the heels of the concessions for the Gurkhas.

Now I personally think these were two things that should have happened anyway, but of course we realise they're just low-cost vote-winners. What will the next cheap stunt be?

Edit: remove drunken typo.

Edited by Horridbloke

Enough people bleat that the petitions on the No 10 website are pointless.

Well, this is one that was responded to, and didn't cost the taxpayer anything.... I think.

Edited by deflation

Guest anorthosite
I see in the news that our highland cyclops overlord has issued a very posthumous pardon to Alan Turing, the key man behind Bletchley Park's world war 2 code breaking efforts. This is hot on the heels of the concessions for the Gurkhas.

Now I personally think these were two things that should have happened anyway, but of course we realise they're just just low-cost vote-winners. What will the next cheap stunt be?

Maybe he should arrange for Bletchley Park to not fall into ruin.

Now I personally think these were two things that should have happened anyway, but of course we realise they're just just low-cost vote-winners. What will the next cheap stunt be?

Why does it have to be a cheap stunt?

Manchester named a road after him a few years ago. Much better than a stinking apology from them.

+ 1

Although hopeful people don't interpret the 'turing way' as requesting to have your balls shrunk to ball bearings by chemicals.

I read Simon Heffer's article on the same topic.

The thing is, there was a petition and a campaign so he is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. If he doesn't do "desperate popularism" then he is refusing to comment on it and refusing to say what happened was wrong. I don't think he did anything official, he just answered the petition. I'd have done the same thing if it had landed (somehow) on my desk to be honest.

Edited by Cogs

Why does it have to be a cheap stunt?

Well,, it was definitely cheap (i.e. free). When I read his letter in the papers, I thought it started very well and then, just before the end, he went all party political (i.e. saying pretty much that only the Labour party weren't etc, which is total crap). If he'd just written the first bit and then maybe said something about some specific politicians (e.g. Roy Jenkins, Edwina Curry etc) it would have been much better.

About time though, certainly, why can't we have a permanent statue of Turing on that spare fourth plinth?

I read Simon Heffer's article on the same topic.

The thing is, there was a petition and a campaign so he is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. If he doesn't do "desperate popularism" then he is refusing to comment on it and refusing to say what happened was wrong. I don't think he did anything official, he just answered the petition. I'd have done the same thing if it had landed (somehow) on my desk to be honest.

A good point, and perhaps I am seeing something that isn't there - two things don't make a trend. But they might be the start of a trend. What other pleb-pleasing actions has this government tried recently? How about Gordon's (alright then, Number 10's) youtube channel? I'd love to think it was a sincere positive experiment in communication, really I would. But I'm not inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.

To be popularism it would have to be something that people wanted or really cared about. An apology for someone who dies 55 years ago, is neither of these.

Wake me up if he abolishes the tv license, or speed cameras or somethign else that actually matters and people would be glad of.

Guest happy?

Now I personally think these were two things that should have happened anyway, but of course we realise they're just low-cost vote-winners. What will the next cheap stunt be?

Edit: remove drunken typo.

After Pinochet a pardon for Thatcher cannot be far behind.