House Price Crash Forum

Tens Of Thousands Face Students Loans Chaos

Injin

HOLA441
Ideally there would be fewer university students, it should be harder to get into uni and there should be higher standards. We don't need hundreds of thousands of people getting into debt to fuel 3 years of fun. Yes for many of them they will work hard and take it seriously. But for others its a choice bourne out of avoid work or thinking it is essential.

And I've been to university so I am not against the system per-se. I just know that I was passionate about the subject and worked hard, whilst many people saw it as a jolly.

Certainly, not everyone benefits from a university education.

HOLA442
I really have no idea why we have this aim of sending 50% of kids to uni , it just means what they end up with is worse than useless, A couple years ago I was told I could not hire any uk graduates for my junior staff, they all had to be hired from the indian IIT's or IIM's, so I had to schlep around armpits like Ahmnebad and calcutta rather than oxbridge, the things the indian schools do well is instill competition to be top of the class as all the exams they have rank in percentiles rather than a meaningless dumbed down grade. What employers need to know is really how smart the candidate is compared to his or her peers.

its called an education.

how many jobs require you to have an A grade in A-level history, or a top class degree in english literature?

a lot of people miss the point about education. we have education to learn and better ourselves.

are you saying if your job doesnt require it, there is no point in education.

out of 30 million workers in the UK how many peoples jobs are actually related directly to their educational qualifications?

why bother with a-levels and gsce whatsoever- they serve little purpose in every day jobs surely, as the education here is not advanced enough???

does understanding about deforestation in the amazon or understanding how matrices work in maths or finding out what happened in the first world war, or reading the works of shakespeare really matter to our jobs?

in my opinion we should never stop learning. most of the time when we finish gsces/a-levels/ university most people get complacent and lazy in terms of challenging their own mental development, and instead do just enough to get by, once they exit the education system.

Edited by mfp123