House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

leveller

Diy Electrics

Any sparkys in the house?

I want to move a ceiling light fitting 2 metres from where it is now in a bedroom. I may have to extend the cable.

Under part p regs am I allowed? Do i need to get minor works certificate for insurance or anything?

You probably need to get your DNA taken, interrogated by MI5 and then given a certificate personally signed by Mandleson.

On the other hand and if you own the house, you could just go and do it on the basis of what you do in your own home is none of the fücktards' business. If it's a rented property, though, I'd be inclined not to.

Non-notifiable:

http://www.theiet.org/publishing/wiring-regulations/part-p/

Q5

Work that is not in a kitchen or special location and does not involve a special installation (5.) and consists of:

* Adding lighting points (light fittings and switches) to an existing circuit

As long as the work you do meets all current standards, e.g.. join cables with an accesible junction box/use correct cable size etc. you should have no problems as far as insurance is concerned.

You probably need to get your DNA taken, interrogated by MI5 and then given a certificate personally signed by Mandleson.

On the other hand and if you own the house, you could just go and do it on the basis of what you do in your own home is none of the fücktards' business. If it's a rented property, though, I'd be inclined not to.

My thoughts exactly, f@ck em

Thanks guys, so it seems I can still wipe my own **** without having someone look into it, without paying for the rectal examination.

Assuming you already know the mechanical requirement to hang the new fitting. You will have to match the lighting cable with the existing cable size whether it is 1 sqmm or 1,5 sqmm. You will probably only able to get the Blue Brown and earth so you will have to colour ferral red and black the cable ends to match. If you have only twin core installed then I couldn't say whether it complies with edition seventeen to extend with twin and earth. If you have a metal fitting and you only have twin supply with no earth then the project should stop there or fit plastic. You should use a 5 amp junction box and continue with the loop in method if thats what you already have. What I mean is extend the circuit like for like and not just extend from the existing rose with twin flex.

I think you may have to extend the cable coming from your switch. It all depends on your set up. Dont forget to make a diagram of the existing wiring in the rose and circuit. One reason case things go wrong and may wish to put it all back, or another it is difficult to trace wiring through without long leads and tester which means you'll keep blowing the circuit if you mix them up,

Good luck with it.

Hope this helps