House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

How Old Is Your Car, How Long Have You Had It?

Several people (Council Dweller & Mr Parry spring to mind) extol the virtues of having old cars and running them forever.

In my real world most people have cars in the age range 4 - 8 years and change them every 3 - 5 years.

Now is HPC like my real world, or are we a site of Flash Harrys or Albert Steptoes?

If you have more than one car put the most used one (i.e. not the highly polished MGB that goes out four times a year), in case it's unclear an age range of 3 - 4 years means greater than 24 months and less than 48 months, i.e. in its third or fourth year.

It may be an interesting result, or it may not. At least it's easy.

Both times only been a year or two old - had the last one ~ 1 year, current one for the same amount of time. Good deals on them, though - otherwise would never spend much on a car unless I was loaded. I don't know if in future I will trade in every 3-5 years or simply run it into the ground and then buy again.

I take it, Juvenal, you're the other tightwad. (Other than me, that is) ;)

I reckon on 1K per year for the capital cost of a car. Currently, my car is well up on that, as it only cost me 6500 and I've had it 8 years (Oh, and apart from oil, tyres, petrol, insurance etc, it has cost me less than 500 quid in that time for bits and bobs)

Edit to add PER YEAR.... sorry, makes quite a difference, still, with a well chosen car, there's an idea.....

Guest absolutezero

Had to buy a new car last week because my 2000 Saxo finally died. :(

Bought a 54 plate Astra, cash of course. ;)

Looks like the Flash Harrys are edging it. Maybe the Steptoes are waiting for the cheap-rate phone time ;)

I bought an Astra new after having two old cars die slowly on me and getting fed up with it.

As it's still working fine (well, drinks a bit of oil) I've still got it nearly 7 years on.

I may dally with an old car next time, will depend on price.

I may dally with an old car next time, will depend on price.

I think the trick is to buy at about 3 years old (so you get it cheap but it's not old, more run-in and got any build faults corrected at someone elses expense) and choose something with a serious long-term reliability reputation.

I think the trick is to buy at about 3 years old (so you get it cheap but it's not old, more run-in and got any build faults corrected at someone elses expense) and choose something with a serious long-term reliability reputation.

I agree with the theory Melchy but cars never seem that cheap at 3 years. They look good against list but nobody pays list.

Though if the views on the scrappage scheme are correct a 3 year old car will be very cheap in 3 years so I ought to start tracking prices.

2000 it was new.

Bought for £1500 in June 2006, with 50k on the clock. Now has 120k & has never been serviced in that time. Just MOTs, tyres and oil changes. I think the cam belt might go soon though, and the suspension is a bit tired. Engine is fine though.

P reg nissan micra and an 03 merc sprinter

I have no idea how old P reg is?

That's a 1996,or possibly late 1995.I've got a 2000 Yaris,bought nearly 3 years ago;still only 51K on the clock.I tend to buy reliable cars circa 5 years old,and keep them till they're totally uneconomic.

a W reg ford fiesta.

bought it for £580 with 140,000 miles on the clock.

Sounds a lot of mileage but I've had the car two years now and all I've replaced are two tyres and the exhaust+backbox.

I don't need a big merc or beemer because my face is pretty and my dick is massive.

Several people (Council Dweller & Mr Parry spring to mind) extol the virtues of having old cars and running them forever.

A slight variant on that, in my case: the trick with old cars IMO is not to run them forever, but to make a highly unsentimental decision as to when you reach the point at which the saving on a lower capital investment starts to be knocked out by a combination of low resale value and increased maintenance costs.

In short, if you're looking at a £250 bill to have a cam belt done and that's about what the car is worth, it probably ain't worth it. The one advantage of running them forever is that eventually you'll have done some work on pretty much everything that's going to need work, with the result that the car will hold no surprises. But unless you're a highly competent DIY mechanic (i.e. can tackle the 'four spanners' jobs in the Haynes manual), there comes a point at which you're throwing good money after bad, and basic bangernomics dictates that this is the time to cut your losses.

a long wheelbase defender - not a very logical choice , but just so aesthetically delightful , and as they come 'pre-dilapidated' from new, age is immaterial - plus a 9 year old omega estate - cheap as chips and a lovely old motor.

2001 Pug 306 bought 2006 for £3100 at 31K, now coming up to 57K.

Hoping to keep her going economically until OH changes his company car in two years time, then I may buy his current one if the price is right.

Having an older car was quite handy when we relocated. Anyone caught giving it the once over with even the slightest look of disgust was dismissed as 'would pass the time of day, but not mates material'.

Made some good friends out of the people who didn't appear bothered. Interestingly none of them are in BTL either ;)

I sell around 250 cars a year of all prices/ages.Depending on your requirements I think the best bets are either a 3/4 year old diesel if you are doing an above average milage, likely cost £5-£6k or about one third of new price.Or if you are not using it so much a 51/02/52/03 age Astra or Focus type car which you can buy for £2500-£3500 and will have at least another six years life in it.Buying bangers is generally a bad move.You pay a grand to buy someone else's problems and end up spending the same again putting them right.If you buy from a dealer you get some sort of warranty.I give three months on these cheaper cars and cover everything,batteries,exhausts the lot.Don't get a company warranty,not worth the paper they are printed on. E.G. Piston breaks "We will pay for the piston but not the damage it did smashing up your engine"

I've got a 2000 Peugeot 306 2L soft-top. Nice car, was the top-spec. model when new cost £20,000(!) got it four years ago for £6000, its still only done 52000 miles now - I probably do around 5000 a year (I also have a Transit van). Been very reliable, I just get it serviced every year at a small local garage.

Plan on keeping it a while yet.