House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

worzel

Freeman

This gets touched on in a few different threads but never seems to get in to the nitty gritty. Are there any HPCers that have actually used the principles to avoid taxes, penalty charge notices, drive without driving licences and the like, and what sacrifices, if any, do you have to make in order to be a freeman?

Not quite the same, and I don't want to send your thread off topic. but I've made a concious effort to keep off as many databases as possible and deal with the least number of organisations and companies that I can.

I signed up to my current flat on a cash-in-hand deal which suits me and the landlord. When I need to register for anything, I use a made up name, and anything that does show up for me I just return to sender. The mail only ever seems to bring bad news or people wanting something.

I have never registered with any utility companies, tv license, council tax and bits and bobs like that, though the latter caught up with me via an unfortunate set of circumstances :(

I don't run a car, in very large part due to the fact that it's just an excuse to tie you in to the system, e.g. the state to tax you through petrol, speeding fines, parking fines, and private industry to get their tuppence worth too.

I try not to own lots of crap and I'm happy to move around once a year or so. I'll also change my mobile number (PAYG) periodically to start afresh.

Finally, I want as limited content with the banksters as possible. I do need to keep a bank account for my salary, but no overdraft or credit anymore. I am currently looking at moving my savings off-shore.

Granted this doesn't sound a great way to live, but it doesn't bother me day to day. I just want to keep myself to myself, procure the things I want / need myself with cash, and be left alone apart from that without anyone demanding money from me under threat of prison!

Granted this doesn't sound a great way to live, but it doesn't bother me day to day. I just want to keep myself to myself, procure the things I want / need myself with cash, and be left alone apart from that without anyone demanding money from me under threat of prison!

Each to their own, but I haven't gone to any lengths and have never had somebody demanding money from me under threat of prison.

Honestly can't see the point of trying to live "off radar" seems like a lot of hassle for not a lot of return. If anything seems like you are doing the government a favour, you cause any trouble and they can just bump you off, you won't be missed and if anybody raises any suspicions they just say "Who, can't find any trace of that person".

I'm more than happy to go along with it all for a nice easy life. I have little doubt if it came to it and I needed to that I could make myself disappear and no be found or traced.

Guest Barebear
Not quite the same, and I don't want to send your thread off topic. but I've made a concious effort to keep off as many databases as possible and deal with the least number of organisations and companies that I can.

I signed up to my current flat on a cash-in-hand deal which suits me and the landlord. When I need to register for anything, I use a made up name, and anything that does show up for me I just return to sender. The mail only ever seems to bring bad news or people wanting something.

I have never registered with any utility companies, tv license, council tax and bits and bobs like that, though the latter caught up with me via an unfortunate set of circumstances :(

I don't run a car, in very large part due to the fact that it's just an excuse to tie you in to the system, e.g. the state to tax you through petrol, speeding fines, parking fines, and private industry to get their tuppence worth too.

I try not to own lots of crap and I'm happy to move around once a year or so. I'll also change my mobile number (PAYG) periodically to start afresh.

Finally, I want as limited content with the banksters as possible. I do need to keep a bank account for my salary, but no overdraft or credit anymore. I am currently looking at moving my savings off-shore.

How much would you charge to do my driveway ?