House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

Raging Deflation Sees 42 Inch Plasmas Etc Plummet

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12...Vs-fridges.html

....../

Other offers included half-price Indesit washing machines for £114.99, XBox 360s down to £99.88 from £169.88 and Compaq laptops cut by £200 to £199.99.

The recession has forced electrical stores and manufacturers to launch a range of price-cutting promotions to tempt shoppers.

Industry figures show the price of electrical goods was down by an average of 4.5 per cent in August amid price promotions on computers, laptops and other products aimed at students.

"Those wanting to see house prices return to a sensible relationship to wages have no greater friend than deflation."

I agree.

This is just the awesome manufacturing power of the chinese factories reducing costs as volumes increase.

If the pound was still worth $2 we would be getting a free plasma screen with each packet of cornflakes we buy.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

They're just too big and fragile for today's young downwardly mobile professional who has to move house every 6 months as the landlord gets repossessed.

Now, a projector or a laptop, much better for today's global nomad.

Edge LED = Fail.

Plasma = Win

lol at grandad's phonogram advice.

LED is improving at a faster pace, and OLED even faster. Plus there's other techs waiting too, but the interesting thing is how this

recession (sorry: recovery) will change the recent pace of improvement.

*edit* spelling

Edited by nightsod

....../

Other offers included half-price Indesit washing machines for £114.99, XBox 360s down to £99.88 from £169.88 and Compaq laptops cut by £200 to £199.99.

The recession has forced electrical stores and manufacturers to launch a range of price-cutting promotions to tempt shoppers.

Industry figures show the price of electrical goods was down by an average of 4.5 per cent in August amid price promotions on computers, laptops and other products aimed at students.

"Those wanting to see house prices return to a sensible relationship to wages have no greater friend than deflation."

I agree.

Never bought any of these items so it doesn't affect me.

It did cost me £35 to have my dog put down though which seemed a bit expensive for a 5 min job..

Never bought any of these items so it doesn't affect me.

It did cost me £35 to have my dog put down though which seemed a bit expensive for a 5 min job..

Do doctors look down on vets or vice versa?

p-o-p

....../

Who'd have thunk it. The chinese industrial revolution and money recycling machine causes consumer prices to fall and house prices to rise - then the breakdown of the same machine does likewise.

....../

I agree.

Price deflation in electronic goods has been going on for years. The old technology is made cheaper, so new technology can be brought out. This is not news of the dreaded deflation. What would be news, would be 50% reductions in the price of petrol and food.

Edited by BalancedBear

Prices of consumer electronics deflate constantly - they never, ever have done anything else.

Anyway, having corrected you, I'm off to play my N64 on my projection TV.

Prices of consumer electronics deflate constantly - they never, ever have done anything else.

You enjoy that home entertainment system - enabled by fractional reserve banking ;)

Of course they have but the deflation is massive.

I'm currently watching a sony 32 inch CRT which my girlfriend bought about 8 years ago for 700 quid. Look what you can get now for the same money after all the inflation!

About 6 months ago the word on the street was that the new plasmas would shoot up in value... buy now before the price goes up etc etc.

Never happened did it?

Injin, I know you believe in inflation but it just makes you look stupid to ignore the current evidence in front of you.

Far more things are deflating than inflating. The most expensive things in my life have deflated so far that everything else could quadruple and I'd still be quids in.

Food inflation is my only concern but I don't believe there will be hyperinflation in food prices. There is so much food wastage in this country.

For example I have started freezing my bread. So now instead of throwing out a loafs worth of bread every week I buy half the amount and it keeps.

About 6 months ago the word on the street was that the new plasmas would shoot up in value... buy now before the price goes up etc etc.

Never happened did it?

Like the Injin cookie which was meant to cost $1000 in July. Now 20% cheaper at 4.99 :lol:

Edited by Alan B'Stard MP

Like the Injin cookie which was meant to cost $1000 in July. Now %20 cheaper :lol:

The US is currently hyperinflating.

If you can't see that, I don't know what's to say really.

Do doctors look down on vets or vice versa?

p-o-p

Not at all

I am impressed that someone can go from treating say a pet snake to helping deliver a calf. My job is simple in comparison because humans are basically the same.

I don't resent what he charged. He had to add on the cost of the staff and surgury and even VAT.

I only mentioned it because services are still expensive and you cant outsource everything

An index based on say Council Tax and transport costs (outlay of £300 odd per month for me) would look very different to the XBox index which is less relevant to most people

I'm currently watching a sony 32 inch CRT which my girlfriend bought about 8 years ago for 700 quid. Look what you can get now for the same money after all the inflation!

Never happened did it?

Injin, I know you believe in inflation but it just makes you look stupid to ignore the current evidence in front of you.

Far more things are deflating than inflating. The most expensive things in my life have deflated so far that everything else could quadruple and I'd still be quids in.

Food inflation is my only concern but I don't believe there will be hyperinflation in food prices. There is so much food wastage in this country.

For example I have started freezing my bread. So now instead of throwing out a loafs worth of bread every week I buy half the amount and it keeps.

I buy / monitor prices of, a lot of musical kit.

NOTHING is going down. Its all going through the roof.

Be it imported or made in UK.

You may be seeing sporadic price decreases due to over supply, dog product, etc, but in general, in the areas i keep an eye on, the price hikes are eye watering.

And this is also spreading to 2nd hand stuff on ebay etc.

Petrol UP.

Food UP

London Transport UP.

Deflationist talk is complete and utter balls.

The US is currently hyperinflating.

If you can't see that, I don't know what's to say really.

Yeah but cookies are 4.99 - so who cares? I don't.

Hyperinflation has to be reflected in the price of goods or you've given the phenomena the wrong name.

Edited by Alan B'Stard MP

Never happened did it?

Thats just the technological march forward.

Try seeing what the comparable cutting edge product is costing next year.

I have a degree of skepticism when it comes to the daily mail.

Maybe you could enligthen me to the exact industry figures it refers to please ?

Yeah but cookies are 4.99 - so who cares? I don't.

How many cookies?

Only those who can put up with the new, higher input costs can cope. Everyone else is going pop.

Hyperinflation has to be reflected in the price of goods or you've given the phenomena the wrong name.

Nope.

It's money supply, money supply, money supply.