House Price Crash Forum

the country does not run on just IT and banking moguls. someone comes in at night and sweeps the streets and re-stocks the starbucks and then goes away to live somewhere and is paid something.

only a 1 in 10 minority get over 25k. if you went to uni and studied economics or IT, then its possible all your freinds did and you all work in the city and all earn 40k. good for you

-but open your eyes to the chair your sitting on - how did it get there ?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone I know who works in London who graduated with me (1999) is on £40k+

These are not purely banking jobs but software houses, telecoms and engineering firms

A quick look at Jobserve throws up lots of jobs at £45k+ for 2-3 years experience

http://www.jobserve.co.uk/searchresults.as...b16=16384&cid=0

Looking at your link - you've managed to prove that C++ and Java developers that work for city banks earn 35 - 50k. Tell us something we don't know!!!

the country does not run on just IT and banking moguls. someone comes in at night and sweeps the streets and re-stocks the starbucks and then goes away to live somewhere and is paid something.

only a 1 in 10 minority get over 25k. if you went to uni and studied economics or IT, then its possible all your freinds did and you all work in the city and all earn 40k. good for you

-but open your eyes to the chair your sitting on - how did it get there ?

Of course someone on a below average salary will have problems but that's what council housing was meant for. However there are plenty of bog standard jobs which pay relatively well in London

Tube driver - £34k

Housing benefits administrator - £29,500 (seen in local paper)

Bus driver £26,500

If you want a real job, get a real education:

Hard science, hard math, engineering etc.

All these media studies types are going to find themselves unemployable,

'when the recession hits, and the government stops hiring for non-jobs, and

the property-driven part of the economy (EAs, Mortgage brokers, interior

decorators, property consultants) implodes.

I'm a physics graduate working in semiconductor manufacturing. I earn a decent salary (by no means obscene), but am very scared for my job. Recently redundancies of 10-15% of our workforce have been indicated. I doubt I'll personally be affected this time around, but I doubt the company will still be going in 3 years!

The search was not for city jobs only and was searching for 'junior c++' roles.

After 5 years £60k is the average in the city, £45k or so for a tech co.

The fact that you can earn a lot of money by working in the city, only proves that you earn a lot of money by working in the city.

It is a fact that most people don't work in the city. Maybe they're stupid? But for whatever reason they don't!

Of course someone on a below average salary will have problems but that's what council housing was meant for. However there are plenty of bog standard jobs which pay relatively well in London

Tube driver - £34k

Housing benefits administrator - £29,500 (seen in local paper)

Bus driver £26,500

there are no council houses or association houses left.

26k max inc benifits as a bus driver for 45 hours does not even buy you a bedsit in london.

how did you get a job in economics ?

I know first hand how alot of the tube drivers, bus drivers, posties etc survive in London.

Several of my cousins are in jobs like this - they survive by getting gf up the duff, she gets a council house as a single mum, they then move in and live there for free.

Basically they have a better standard of living than someone on 2x income as they aren't paying any rent, council tax etc but get benefits and 25k on top.

My cousin has a better car than me :blink: and drives a bus!

Not only that but then after a few years they buy a house on RTB so they now have a decent house and car, whilst i earn twice as much and have neither :angry:

This is why I love Labour and vote for them at every opportunity!

The fact that you can earn a lot of money by working in the city, only proves that you earn a lot of money by working in the city.

It is a fact that most people don't work in the city. Maybe they're stupid? But for whatever reason they don't!

I worked in West London as a programmer on 33k for years. I could have earned far more in the City doing the same, the trouble is, when 5.30pm comes (or whatever the finishing time is) I go home. I don't sit at the desk from 7am to 7pm every day regardless of whether I actually need to or not, just because it is kind of expected and eyebrows get raised if you ask where the overtime payments are.

I worked in West London as a programmer on 33k for years. I could have earned far more in the City doing the same, the trouble is, when 5.30pm comes (or whatever the finishing time is) I go home. I don't sit at the desk from 7am to 7pm every day regardless of whether I actually need to or not, just because it is kind of expected and eyebrows get raised if you ask where the overtime payments are.

You got to home at 5:30 as a programmer ! Well done.

I got to home at 5:30 to sometimes... 05:30 that is.

The child tax credits is a couple of hundred quid tops isn't it ?

About £42 per month, but it can vary. However, Child Tax Credit is more of a middle class thing (-ish), and obviously is just a drop in the ocean. When people talk about the poor doing ok because of benefits, they're not really referring to child tax credits and things, but to the fact thay by not working you get a free house, pay no tax, no council tax, get handouts of free money every week, etc, etc.

On the graduate salary issue. When I graduated back in 2000 my first salary was £12,500, rising to £22,000 a year later.

My brother has just graduated this year, and just taken his first graduate job (in South East), which pays £16,000. Most of his fellow-graduates are on similar salaries.

I worked in the city. For two weeks. That was enough. You work really hard to earn enough money to boast to other people how much money you have while you spend it on ridiculously expensive things to convince yourself your existence is meaningful.

I worked in the city. For two weeks. That was enough. You work really hard to earn enough money to boast to other people how much money you have while you spend it on ridiculously expensive things to convince yourself your existence is meaningful.

If you were a batsman, I'd say you just middled that one

:D

What about teachers, they are graduates, work bloody hard and can expect to start on 19K. What sort of house can they afford to buy? What a great country to live in! And as for the key worker loan, well, loan says it all... more debt.

What about teachers, they are graduates, work bloody hard and can expect to start on 19K.  What sort of house can they afford to buy? What a great country to live in!  And as for the key worker loan, well, loan says it all... more debt.

Teachers and firepeople are not worth their salt. Nurses and bobbies are the REAL heroes of the civil service.

Teachers and firepeople are not worth their salt. Nurses and bobbies are the REAL heroes of the civil service.

Dont know about that one, i rank the police quite low and nurses , firefighters and teachers relativly high.

To me teaching is like a vocation, you actually feel the need to do it thats why people go inot the profession, not for the money.. although 22K a year start isnt bad at all , head teachers 50k+.

Firefighters are needed but most guys wouldnt mind being a firefighter, the waiting list to 'get in' is massive. Its just a cool job, and a great way to tag yourself a stupid bint because we all want one of them dont we.

Nurses seem to put up with a lot of sh*t, sometimes literally, i hold alot of respect for decent nurses and believe they should get a decent wage.

Police officers based on my subjective dealings with them are a bunch of t*sspots and if one was getting a kickin i wouldnt even think about helping him. Full of attitude and stupidity, dont perticually want to do there jobs, like to conviscate pot for thier own personal use. Have the moral standings of soggy t*rds.

A few reasons why i dont think much to the police..

Got woke up at 8am by a copper having a go at me for leaving my motorbike an alleyway, i was to remove it within the next ten minutes or 'else'. I wouldnt mind but i left the bike on my driveway.. went to collect the bike and it was clear from about 10 feet away that the ignition had been cut out.. basically obvious someone tried to nick it and dumped it.. well done copper.

About 2 am had someone pull a knife on me.. got my hands cut, hospital was about 20 minutes walk, no taxi service, i was over the drink drive limit (not wasted just over the limit) so i asked if they could swing me round to the hospital.. "we ain't a f*ckin taxi service".

Other times where i see them approach people in such an agreessive manner for no reason.. where they just hide behind thier uniforms, if a member of public was to approach someone like that they would be knocked out instantly, but because its a cop its ok.

Police .. round these parts atleast are just scum, they refuse to try and stop the herion being sold even though they know full well who deals it, they refuse to arrest any "hard nuts" who would just give them a kickin or stab them.

They will sure as hell give yoru gran a speeding ticket for going 5 mph over the limit though.

There might be a decent cop somewhere.. but in my 26 years of existance ive not met one.

EB,

your:

"Recently redundancies of 10-15% of our workforce have been indicated. I doubt I'll personally be affected this time around, but I doubt the company will still be going in 3 years! "

I understand your concern.

But I think if your job does go, there will be a need for your skills elsewhere.

I have been without a proper job and salary for years.

But last year had my second best yaer ever: trading, investing, and helping

others to make money.

The bright, flexible and motivated will always find a way

Thanks. Actually there a quite a few people in similar roles who hardly fit the description of "bright, flexible and motivated" although some others defintely are. I already have a plan (well two will be worked on concurrently actually). I just need to hope I last another 10-14 months where I am to get my savings to the level where I won't need a proper job for 7 years! By that point I'll hopefully not need a proper job again but will have qualifications which should almost guarantee me one should I need it.

where does this country get off thinking every person is on 30k.

No disrespect, but you live in a different country to me. £30000 is a low wage, and I honestly dont know many people on such low wages unless they are very young or work in a call centre or shop.

My freind has a small building co. He cant find basic trades for less than £750 per week minimum. Also consider that such people usually dont declare all earnings and do weekend cash jobs. If u gross - up such typical earnings you arrive at an annal equivalent of £50000.