House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Checks On Children's Club Drivers

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8249020.stm

Parents who regularly drive children for sports or social clubs will have to undergo criminal record checks or face fines of up to £5,000 under new rules.

Along with parents who host foreign exchange students, they will fall under the scope of the Vetting and Barring Scheme, the Home Office has confirmed.

The measures to stop paedophiles are being introduced from next month in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Critics have branded them "insulting" and say they could deter volunteers.

A separate but aligned scheme is being set up in Scotland.

Shadow home secretary Chris Grayling said: "This new regime has the potential to be a real disaster for activities involving young people.

"We are going to drive away volunteers, we'll see clubs and activities close down and we'll end up with more bored young people on our streets."

Liberal Democrat home affairs spokesman Chris Huhne said the government was "in danger of creating a world in which we think every adult who approaches children means to do them harm".

"Should parents who give other people's children a lift to sports matches really face a £5,000 fine and criminal record if they fail to register?" he added.

But John O'Brien, programme director of the Vetting and Barring Scheme, said it would be a "once-only, simple step". He denied it was a "presumption of guilt".

He told the BBC's Today programme: "We want to make sure we have got appropriate safeguards in place so that people with backgrounds we don't want to work with children and vulnerable adults are not entering the work place."

A Home Office spokesman said "informal" arrangements between parents would not be covered.

"This is a commonsense approach and what parents would rightly expect," he said, adding that the rules would make of the world's most advanced systems "even more rigorous".

Wail has 1 in 4 to be checked

An excellent use of tax payer funds.

The police state slowly gathers pace, perhaps everyone should have there DNA checked as well?

The police state slowly gathers pace, perhaps everyone should have there DNA checked as well?

It sort of is anyway.... most infants have blood samples taken shortly after birth. Unless these samples are destroyed it would be incredibly easy to obtain a DNA profile at some later stage.

I wouldn't be surprised if legislation is passed so that the authorities can retrospectively do this on existing samples.

It sort of is anyway.... most infants have blood samples taken shortly after birth. Unless these samples are destroyed it would be incredibly easy to obtain a DNA profile at some later stage.

I wouldn't be surprised if legislation is passed so that the authorities can retrospectively do this on existing samples.

I thought that too.

Wonder if the vitamin K injection is a ruse to implant the microchip?

Vetting of people who work with children is fine in principle. But what's the biggest worry you have when other people are driving your children about? Certainly in my mind it's whether or not they are being driven by a safe driver.

Hopefully the vetting will also cover peoples' driving records, to rule out any bad drivers with motoring convictions.

In fact I have thought for a long time that extra checks should be made on drivers who carry passengers (adults as well as children) in the course of their work. I've been made to travel, in the course of my work, in vehicles driven by bad drivers in the past. Surely in this health-and-safety mad society, one glaring thing that is still overlooked is driving standards while in the course of employment.

Where the hell is our elected opposition?

I can see this getting challenged in the Court of Human Rights anyway. It's too close to presumed guilt.

eight

You didn't think mafia godfarther A was going to argue with mafia godfather B when they both have guns (MP's all have dirt on each other)

silly boy you think we have a democracy

Parents who regularly drive children for sports or social clubs

A Home Office spokesman said "informal" arrangements between parents would not be covered.

Well done, not.

My initial reaction was wtf but having read this it now seems to be another unenforceable piece of legislation.

Do you give them a lift regulalrly? - no

Is it informal? - yes

Pointless pointless pointless.

The only effect I can see is a negative one, any organisation which formally takes on drivers will send them a big form to complete. Which they will look at, get annoyed by, throw in the bin, and go back to watching TV.

Typical spurious nulab justification as well:

The scheme was recommended by the Bichard report into the Soham murders of Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman by school caretaker Ian Huntley.

Well, just check people employed to work with children then.

Guest UK Debt Slave
Where the hell is our elected opposition?

I can see this getting challenged in the Court of Human Rights anyway. It's too close to presumed guilt.

eight

There is no opposition. We live in a one party state now

Your habeas Corpus rights don't exist anymore

Under EU law, we are now under a Corpus Juris system which means the tenet of innocent until proven guilty is gone.

This is a most fundamental change in our basic rights and it has happened without any anyone noticing and with the full connaivance of our supine, corrupt politicians

We are now living in a de facto totalitarian state.

Get used to it because without Habeas Corpus rights, our descent into slavery and tyranny is guaranteed

Guest UK Debt Slave
This is just so wrong.

Philip Pullman was just on Radio 2 and apparently it's £64 for each person to be checked.

This is going to shut down so many small clubs and societies.

That's the whole idea

It's an assault on every kind of society or meeting of the minds.

Pubs of course are the other victim. We've just lost another pub in my town this week. Walked past it on monday and it was all boarded up.

We are now living in a de facto totalitarian state.

??? Probably best to stop reading the papers, watching the TV news and using internet forums, and then you'd see there's probably zero evidence in the real world around you, on the ground, that you're in a totalitarian state!

If Gordon wants my DNA he can have it!!

:blink::blink: Oooh er!

Thats probably the best offer Brown's going to get for a long while

Guest UK Debt Slave
??? Probably best to stop reading the papers, watching the TV news and using internet forums, and then you'd see there's probably zero evidence in the real world around you, on the ground, that you're in a totalitarian state!

Just because the state isn't mass murdering people (yet), that doesn't mean you aren't living in a totalitarian state.

the evidence that we are living in such a state is overwhelming

1. State control of the education system

2. Systemic brainwashing of our children by the state education system

3. 20 percent of the world's CCTV cameras are in the UK (We account for about 1% of the global population)

4. State controlled or corporate controlled media. Even privately owned media is restricted in what it can broadcast (D notices, etc)

5. State controlled policy masquerading as parliamentary democracy. All the major political parties are serving the interests of powers unseen and unknown

6. Intelligence collection, databases, DNA, even of entirely innocent people

7. Habeas Corpus rights replaced by Corpus Juris legal system. Our ancient systems of law that have protected us to a greater extent have been usurped by EU law (without any democratic checks and balances)

8. Control of monetary system by Central bank (5th plank of the Communist manifesto)

And plenty more examples I'm sure

Just because the state isn't mass murdering people (yet), that doesn't mean you aren't living in a totalitarian state.

3. 20 percent of the world's CCTV cameras are in the UK (We account for about 1% of the global population)

4. State controlled or corporate controlled media. Even privately owned media is restricted in what it can broadcast (D notices, etc)

5. State controlled policy masquerading as parliamentary democracy. All the major political parties are serving the interests of powers unseen and unknown

6. Intelligence collection, databases, DNA, even of entirely innocent people

7. Habeas Corpus rights replaced by Corpus Juris legal system. Our ancient systems of law that have protected us to a greater extent have been usurped by EU law (without any democratic checks and balances)

8. Control of monetary system by Central bank (5th plank of the Communist manifesto)

And plenty more examples I'm sure

If the State speaks as highly of you as you do of it, I am quite surprised that your intended country of future residence will have you.

p-o-p

How many kids have you got in the state education system?

You know, you do spout total and utter nonsense 98% of the time. The other 2% I don't understand what you're talking about.

Guest UK Debt Slave
How many kids have you got in the state education system?

You know, you do spout total and utter nonsense 98% of the time. The other 2% I don't understand what you're talking about.

I made a decision a long time ago not to have children

I have no regrets abouts about it at all

I would never raise a child in this fekked world

This is the school run tax.

Either individual parents have to make the school run twice a day to boost fuel tax income or they pay the one off school run tax of £60 odd so that they can car-share and save on fuel.

Look out for more ingenoius stealth taxes

This new legislation is the result of the report into the Soham murders. Ian Huntley had been investigated in the past for sexual offences and burglary but none of these investigations had resulted in a conviction. Indeed, Huntley's only previous conviction was for riding a motorcycle without a licence or insurance (an offence for which he had been convicted in 1993 when aged 19).

Some people may conclude that this suggests a more rigorous approach is needed by the police and the judiciary when investigating and prosecuting people accused of sexual offences and burglary. Others may decide that what is needed is an army of snoopers and loads of bureaucratic hassle to do background checks on tens of thousands of parents, volunteers and family friends. Maybe, like Huntley, they'll have a teenage traffic offence to their name, in which case our paranoid pen pushers can reject the applicant as unsuitable to drive children in their car. Of course the local community will be free to assume that the rejected applicant is a convicted rapist.

I wonder if Labour will pick up on a suggestion from my local paper's letters page this morning: Its time to take a lesson from our Muslim friends and make all children wear burkahs to protect them from the lustful gaze of paedophiles

Would it be a vote winner?

I wonder if Labour will pick up on a suggestion from my local paper's letters page this morning: Its time to take a lesson from our Muslim friends and make all children wear burkahs to protect them from the lustful gaze of paedophiles

Would it be a vote winner?

That's not too far from the government's logic. We must all live under ever more draconian restrictions in order to protect us from a tiny minority of sexual offenders who go largely unpunished. To not submit yourself to these restrictions means you condone these offenders.... or maybe are an offender yourself. In places like Saudi Arabia they have the stick-wielding religious police to enforce the system. Here we're not so backward. Here we have a database.

This new database doesn't go nearly far enough to protect children.

It should be extended to any adults who reside with persons under the age of 16 too. After all, most kids suffer abuse at the hands of people they know in their own homes rather than by strangers elsewhere so it's completely logical.

If someone is flagged under these checks as unfit to work with children, it would be a monstrous absurdity to allow them to live under the same roof as other mites without constant monitoring by social services and other agencies who are charged with children's safety.

The answer is to subject all of them to polygraph tests.

Question One: During the past 12 months, have you had sexual thoughts or desires concerning any child aged under 16?

Those who reply "yes" should immediately fall under suspicion along with "no" responders that the test examiner believes uttered a lie.

I'm confident that all right-thinking citizens who have nothing to hide or fear, and especially those who spend many hours each week watching great TV programming such as The X-Factor, Deal or No Deal, etc, will agree with the above.

Failure to answer questions such as 'when did you last molest your children?' and 'when did you last beat your wife?' may lead to a £5000 fine of 3 years in jail. As these activities have been designated as anti-social behaviour you punishment is decided by the police and local council rather than by a court of law. We can't have the judicial system clogged up with wife-beating paedos can we? Our judges are far too busy carrying out multi-million pound investigations that conclude the public need to be put under greater surveillance for their own protection.