House Price Crash Forum
Wait & See

Buy Beans To Fight Hunger Danger

Get Them Beans

The consequences of the growing worldwide food crisis are so severe, Brown warns, that it could "bring down not only individual governments but also our global civilization. ... Our continuing failure to deal with the environmental declines that are undermining the world food economy -- most important, falling water tables, eroding soils and rising temperatures -- forces me to conclude that such a collapse is possible."

HPI may be the least of our worries when the Crunchy Nut Cornflakes run out. :rolleyes:

The UK is such a small, pathetic island with no means of feeding itself that I fear we could see riots and ham price inflation.

More drama awaits us. Are you ready?? :ph34r:

Get Them Beans

HPI may be the least of our worries when the Crunchy Nut Cornflakes run out. :rolleyes:

The UK is such a small, pathetic island with no means of feeding itself that I fear we could see riots and ham price inflation.

well according to tony blair,immigration is a good thing.

we'll only have about 13 000 or so come to work.(out by a factor of 100!!!....who does their maths??)

and apparently now he's seen in his crystal ball there is likely to be some rather boistrous competition for resources in the not too distant future.

who on earth does he consult for his "spirit guidance"???....mystic meg??

it's about as bloody accurate!!

so either he was completely incompetent,or a complete liar.

at worst this was a deliberate ploy to wreak havoc in the UK.

(I'll take the latter opinion)

This is no laughing matter,if things get serious then we are talking about not just civil unrest but loss of life.The police are obviously aware of such outcomes but I very much doubt the rank and file are prepared for such circumstances hitting their own families and childern as hard as joe public,while the politicians bugger off to the cayman islands and let us squabble it out.

and this man needs to be brought to book....I think we could probably dispense with trial by jury as he's already attempted to erase it from the statute book.

very convenient scapegoat blaming it all on the muslims/poles/jews whatever...but who let them in??

we have a serious problem with our merchants.

It's no wonder we have a disposable society if these guys use and abuse people.

Edited by oracle

Get Them Beans

The UK currently can mostly feed itself.

And it could completely, pretty quickly, if it actually came to it.

We have little to worry about on this score.

Our climate is temperate and pretty reliable.

We have plenty of farmland.

We import stuff currently because its cheaper, not because we CANNOT produce our own.

We import stuff currently because its cheaper, not because we CANNOT produce our own.

And where will the oil for this come from? :rolleyes:

I was at a seminar about food security a month or two ago (don't ask) and one interesting fact the speaker revealed was that the UK is self-sufficient when it comes to meat & dairy production. Obviously we export quite a bit of our meat, and import from other countries, but the net figure would allow us to satisfy our current demand entirely from UK farms. Even in WWII we didn't get to this stage, although the present situation with veg self-sufficiency is not quite so rosy (although we do produce enough soft fruit to keep everyone happy).

The real reason for the Falkland-Islands conflict.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/...nd-Islands.html

what makes you think we are going to be in a position to defend them this time around?

thanks to our illustrious leader we are caught in a tug of war between washington and berlin,and have alienated our once dependable ally....another faction within europe is seeking to gain advantage of this by provoking the "gibraltar" argument.

another faction within our own country seeks independence and this same faction within our own govenment is in the process of sabotaging our military..

there ain't gonna be "little britain goes it alone" this time.

we are going to have to pick a side and make it stick...either we are with the US,or we are with the EU.

...and there's lots of dirty tricks happening.

given the tactics of the "pro-EU" faction being employed to entice us to join their club,I'm rather tempted to stick my oar in and say sod you!!!.....I'll take uncle sam thanks.

Edited by oracle

And where will the oil for this come from? :rolleyes:

Ah, yes, another 'ring the doorbell and run way' post.

Links please showing:

. The ability or not of the UK to feed itself, or not as is

. The ability or not of the UK to feed itself, or not, using manual labour and animals*

. The ability or not of the UK to feed itself, or not, using reduced oil and gas in concert with alternative energy sources.

. Details of the use if oil products in food production and whether other materials can be substituted or the processes modified to use less oil.

*Bear in mind that this scenario includes science and technology unknown to our forefathers so will produce much higher yields their manual methods did.

Oil supply is on a bell curve, somewhere near the top, it won't suddenly run out. We may find it more and more expensive as our economy slides down the world ranking, but we are not going to say 'Oh dear, oil is $400/barrel, let's stop growing food'.

A lot of posters on here are dismissive of the UK. Why? this is an exceptionally fertile country with plentiful water. The people are another matter, there are a lot of idiots now with a frankly comical sense of entitlement. Also there are a lot of youngsters whose opportunities have been taken away by recent mismanagement of the economy, systematic theft by the elite and chronic obsession with property ownership.

All very annoying but none of that has degraded the capacity of the huge tracts of good to excellent arable and pasture in the UK AFAIK.

what makes you think we are going to be in a position to defend them this time around?

Looking at Britain's brutal track record over the centuries it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the UK destroyed the rigs if an enemy power annexed the Falklands and started pumping oil on the basis of 'if we're not having it neither are you'.

We (the English) are good winners and exceptionally bad losers. Our small nuclear deterrent is taken seriously because the opposition think 'the vicious bastards might just use it'.

well according to tony blair,immigration is a good thing.

we'll only have about 13 000 or so come to work.(out by a factor of 100!!!....who does their maths??)

and apparently now he's seen in his crystal ball there is likely to be some rather boistrous competition for resources in the not too distant future.

who on earth does he consult for his "spirit guidance"???....mystic meg??

it's about as bloody accurate!!

so either he was completely incompetent,or a complete liar.

at worst this was a deliberate ploy to wreak havoc in the UK.

(I'll take the latter opinion)

This is no laughing matter,if things get serious then we are talking about not just civil unrest but loss of life.The police are obviously aware of such outcomes but I very much doubt the rank and file are prepared for such circumstances hitting their own families and childern as hard as joe public,while the politicians bugger off to the cayman islands and let us squabble it out.

and this man needs to be brought to book....I think we could probably dispense with trial by jury as he's already attempted to erase it from the statute book.

very convenient scapegoat blaming it all on the muslims/poles/jews whatever...but who let them in??

we have a serious problem with our merchants.

It's no wonder we have a disposable society if these guys use and abuse people.

We could eat the immigrants? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_Green

If the Govt had built more social housing years ago, with decent gardens, more people would be growing their own veg, or able to ... rather than having us all squashed into little boxes with no space to grow stuff.

Oh?

Please point to the raw data upon which you base your arguement.

If the Govt had built more social housing years ago, with decent gardens, more people would be growing their own veg, or able to ... rather than having us all squashed into little boxes with no space to grow stuff.

We need to get serious about encouraging allotments and home growing. Every roadside tree should be a fruit tree, no more of these ornamental monsters.

Ah, yes, another 'ring the doorbell and run way' post.

Links please showing:

. The ability or not of the UK to feed itself, or not as is

. The ability or not of the UK to feed itself, or not, using manual labour and animals*

. The ability or not of the UK to feed itself, or not, using reduced oil and gas in concert with alternative energy sources.

. Details of the use if oil products in food production and whether other materials can be substituted or the processes modified to use less oil.

*Bear in mind that this scenario includes science and technology unknown to our forefathers so will produce much higher yields their manual methods did.

& this would be the pratice of a normal 1st world country you think ?

chris25 made a very valid point imo. The UK is a net importer regardless of what the VI stats try to tell you.

the UK if absolutely fooked.

Maybe we could replace food wast collection schemes (vermin attractors) with local pig clubs! I believe this was done until fairly recently. Only problems I can see are:

1) People getting too fond of the pig to want to eat it

2) Red tape

I was at a seminar about food security a month or two ago (don't ask) and one interesting fact the speaker revealed was that the UK is self-sufficient when it comes to meat & dairy production. Obviously we export quite a bit of our meat, and import from other countries, but the net figure would allow us to satisfy our current demand entirely from UK farms. Even in WWII we didn't get to this stage, although the present situation with veg self-sufficiency is not quite so rosy (although we do produce enough soft fruit to keep everyone happy).

Was the importation of grain and feed taken into account when calculating if we are self sufficient in meat and dairy? Also, as someone pointed our, agriculture is fuel intensive and we are not self sufficient in fuel.

Maybe we could replace food wast collection schemes (vermin attractors) with local pig clubs! I believe this was done until fairly recently. Only problems I can see are:

1) People getting too fond of the pig to want to eat it

2) Red tape

Reason it stopped is because it was made illegal to feed food waste to pigs.

Until then it was the main reason to keep a pig.

If you go round reconstructions of primative houses you will see that even the human excrement is directed into the pig pen for further processing!

Thankfully, despite the silly chumps of this forum and elsewhere who would happily see the strategic assets of the country bulldozed just to satisfy their sense of entitlement.

We need to get serious about encouraging allotments and home growing.

The UK also needs some effective penalties to stop the theft from allotments.

24hr. guard by the growers is not the way. Sorting the chavs permanently, is.

One of the reasons I chose to attempt to be self-sufficient in another land.

One where if I blow someone away with my shotgun on my property I wont be locked up.

We need to get serious about encouraging allotments and home growing. Every roadside tree should be a fruit tree, no more of these ornamental monsters.

Fortunately this village has a community orchard, several acres of trees which are cared for on a voluntary basis. Of course, the fruit is available to those who can be bothered.

As for council houses, few try to grow veggies/fruit trees but at least they have the option.