House Price Crash Forum

Do England Have Enough World-class Players To Win The World Cup In 2010?

Si1

HOLA441

Alan Hansen said you need at least 5 or 6 (I think) world class players - total game-changers - to do it, whether unstoppable defenders or attackers who create goals from nothing

So are likely to have, for South Africa, in this category:

Rooney

Gerrard

Lampard

Terry

Hargreaves (if fit?????)

possibly world class, if they mature enough:

Walcott

Lennon

nearly enough world-class players????? not quite????? any more I've forgotten?????

(tbh our full backs are pretty good - but full backs - apart from Carlos - are never world class are they?)

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
the best players dont necessarily make the best team

doesn't england realise this by now

that wasn't my question now was it

the winning team HAS to have a minimum number of top-class players, but it can of course be let down by bad management, luck of the draw, etc

putting those aside, my question still stands

HOLA444

the winning team HAS to have a minimum number of top-class players, but it can of course be let down by bad management, luck of the draw, etc

More than Scotland anyway LOL............ heeeeeeeeeee

HOLA445

How many world class players did Denmark have in 1992 or Greece in 2004? (O. K. European championship not world cup but close enough).

Of course England have enough players good enough to win the world cup; the only problem is that there's 8 or 10 other countries in a similar position.

So in my book it's 90% certain that we won't win, which puts us in the same boat as the likes of Brazil, Germany, Holland, Italy etc and in a better postion than the likes of France/Portugal/Croatia.

HOLA446

England just beat the team ranked 9th in the World 5 - 1 at home, and wasnt it 4 -1 away?

Thats not too bad.

As for world class, how about Heskey?

I used to think he wasnt much good. Then I recall the McClaren campaign for Euro 2008. He put Heskey in the team, and suddenly England started to play like a team. Didnt we win two games under McClaren 3 - 0, including a drubbing of Russia, and it all looked so good? The difference I think was Heskey.

Then Heskey got crocked, and all those other superstars, couldnt put another win together, and we failed to qualify, after defeats against Russia and Croatia.

It befuddles me just how Heskey makes the England team into a winning team, but you cant argue with results. And lets not forget, his role in the 5 - 1 demolition of Germany. Defences just dont seem to be able to cope against the big man. He cant score, but I reckon that if my granny played along side him, she'd get a couple.

HOLA447

Will they be wearing white again? I do like it when the players wear white. It looks good on the field. I bet their mums iron their kit as well. I thoroughly approve.

HOLA448
Alan Hansen said you need at least 5 or 6 (I think) world class players - total game-changers - to do it, whether unstoppable defenders or attackers who create goals from nothing

Rooney

Gerrard

Lampard

Terry

Hargreaves (if fit?????)

Walcott

Lennon

nearly enough world-class players????? not quite????? any more I've forgotten?????

(tbh our full backs are pretty good - but full backs - apart from Carlos - are never world class are they?)

Ashley Cole is world class, I've heard many say he's the best in the world at the mo. Take your point re full backs but if he's allowed to get forward he can make a huge difference (as Gerrard is likely to wander inside).

Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Terry I'd agree with - we need someone who can do the unexpected though, so success depends on a brilliant tournament by someone like Walcott or Lennon, or maybe even Joe Cole.

HOLA449
England just beat the team ranked 9th in the World 5 - 1 at home, and wasnt it 4 -1 away?

Thats not too bad.

As for world class, how about Heskey?

I used to think he wasnt much good. Then I recall the McClaren campaign for Euro 2008. He put Heskey in the team, and suddenly England started to play like a team. Didnt we win two games under McClaren 3 - 0, including a drubbing of Russia, and it all looked so good? The difference I think was Heskey.

Then Heskey got crocked, and all those other superstars, couldnt put another win together, and we failed to qualify, after defeats against Russia and Croatia.

It befuddles me just how Heskey makes the England team into a winning team, but you cant argue with results. And lets not forget, his role in the 5 - 1 demolition of Germany. Defences just dont seem to be able to cope against the big man. He cant score, but I reckon that if my granny played along side him, she'd get a couple.

and England looked weaker last night once he came off too... I know what you mean.

HOLA4410

What, like Greece in Euro 2004?

Ruffneck has a point, England have consistently had the luxury of word-class players although failed to deliver. Our biggest enemy is complacency.

HOLA4411
Ashley Cole is world class, I've heard many say he's the best in the world at the mo. Take your point re full backs but if he's allowed to get forward he can make a huge difference (as Gerrard is likely to wander inside).

yep. yonks ago Barnes' biggest problem was Pearce getting forward and forcing Barnes inside or even to cover, at Liverpool he always had a more conservative fullback behind him so he could be a proper winger.

Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Terry I'd agree with - we need someone who can do the unexpected though, so success depends on a brilliant tournament by someone like Walcott or Lennon, or maybe even Joe Cole.

I dunno, the Germans always seem to win with very good attacking midfielders ruling the field. And I think you overlook Gerard's creativity - done without flicks or dribbling, it's easily overlooked.

HOLA4412
What, like Greece in Euro 2004?

Ruffneck has a point, England have consistently had the luxury of word-class players although failed to deliver. Our biggest enemy is complacency.

didn't we have really bad injuries that tournament?

HOLA4413
I dunno, the Germans always seem to win with very good attacking midfielders ruling the field.

My dad's German so I always support them. Don't know much about football (as you can probably tell from my previous post). Do the Germans have a good chance this time? They seemed to do quite well last time when everyone had written them off, but I had kept the faith. Where's it being held in 2010?

HOLA4414

Keeper isn't good enough

Right back isn't good enough

Defoe/Heskey isn't good enough.

cole, ferdinand, gerrard, lampard and rooney are probably world class

The others aren't. Lack of partner for Rooney means they miss out for me.

They have an outside chance, but as the bookies say they are 5th-6th favourite.

HOLA4415
My dad's German so I always support them. Don't know much about football (as you can probably tell from my previous post). Do the Germans have a good chance this time? They seemed to do quite well last time when everyone had written them off, but I had kept the faith. Where's it being held in 2010?

even when their players are so-so, the Germans always have a reasonable chance because they are so organised and professional. And when they have good players they tend to win it.

HOLA4416
didn't we have really bad injuries that tournament?

Dunno, the most notable absence was Rooney but then that was in the last game getting knocked out by Portugal. Injuries are a sub-par excuse for poor results when we have a sizeable and consistently talented squad.

You argument is that any team 'must' have top-class players but clearly this is not always the case, although the exception to the rule.

With England it's always the same, go one-nil up and then sit on that precarious lead, getting men back and the promptly get punished in the second half.

HOLA4417

Man for man the only team that has a squad that places them as clear obvious favourites is Spain - a real golden generation for them just now.

The current England team is as good as or ahead of Italy, France, Holland and Argentina. Brazil's always in the mix.

People knock England but they've often made semis and quarters of the big two competitions and have often suffered from bad luck. They're one of the best teams in the world and a bit of fluke or luck could easily bag us the World Cup.

HOLA4418
Dunno, the most notable absence was Rooney but then that was in the last game getting knocked out by Portugal. Injuries are a sub-par excuse for poor results when we have a sizeable and consistently talented squad.

not when the injuries rob you of half your best players - the talent level is lower then

HOLA4419

Rooney

Gerrard

Lampard

Terry

Hargreaves (if fit?????)

Walcott

Lennon

No world class keeper=no win. Italy won the last WC because of Buffon. When we won it in 66 we had Gordon Banks-best in the world at the time and probably in 70 as well. That position scares me and says we may fall short.

HOLA4420

Surprised Gareth Barry doesn't get a bigger shout, He has been excellent since coming into the team.

World Class (7)

Gerrard

Barry

Lampard

Rooney

Terry

Johnson

A Cole

Getting there (2)

Heskey

Lennon

Lucky to be in team

Rob Green

Upson (but Ferdinand is World Class)

Goalkeeper will be the problem, no world class English goalies about. Young lad Smithies at Huddersfield will be good, but 2010 too early for him.

HOLA4421

England's main problem recently: Getting over-excited and thinking they have won the thing already. (I am talking about the overall general feel here - I know many England fans don't think this way)

Scotland's main problem recently: Exactly the opposite. Thinking we have lost before we even begin.

Somewhere in between would be ideal IMO.

HOLA4422

The idea of the big target man who can hold the ball up isn't a bad one but other than sheer physical presence the 'Hesky role' could be done by Crouchy (unfancied by everyone but rarely has a bad game) or Carlton Cole (a form player). None of them are world class but at least pick someone who can lash in the odd goal. A non-striking striker is a laugh.

HOLA4423

Lampard and Hargreaves world class ?

Seriously ?

England have a problem with forwards. Playing Rooney and Owen together was stupid. Both short **** players.

Rooney and Hesky, Rooney anc Crouch, but never Rooney and Owen. It's a shame England haven't got a world class big physical player to play with Rooney. That would scare the cr*p out of the opposition.

Ferdinand and Terry together should form the best centre back pairing in the world.

As for midfield, I rate Gerrard, you only have to look at Liverpools record with and without him to see he's a class player. Beckham deserves a look in still because he's a great deliverer of the ball. Cole is OK.

Goalkeeper is a bit problem. Banks, Clemence, Shilton and Seaman were all world class players. Since 1970 up until Seaman retired we had the best run of goalies in the world. Now we've got to find someone to replace that.

HOLA4424
Lampard and Hargreaves world class ?

Seriously ?

England have a problem with forwards. Playing Rooney and Owen together was stupid. Both short **** players.

Rooney and Hesky, Rooney anc Crouch, but never Rooney and Owen. It's a shame England haven't got a world class big physical player to play with Rooney. That would scare the cr*p out of the opposition.

Ferdinand and Terry together should form the best centre back pairing in the world.

As for midfield, I rate Gerrard, you only have to look at Liverpools record with and without him to see he's a class player. Beckham deserves a look in still because he's a great deliverer of the ball. Cole is OK.

Goalkeeper is a bit problem. Banks, Clemence, Shilton and Seaman were all world class players. Since 1970 up until Seaman retired we had the best run of goalies in the world. Now we've got to find someone to replace that.

As I said in my post you are spot on. Buffon is probabl;y the worlds best-Italy would never have won the last one with a poor keeper. I remember the rotating policy of Ron Greenwood between Clemence and Shilton. Happy days.

HOLA4425
No world class keeper=no win. Italy won the last WC because of Buffon. When we won it in 66 we had Gordon Banks-best in the world at the time and probably in 70 as well. That position scares me and says we may fall short.

Fabian Barthez, world cup winner.

'Nuff said. ;)

Archived