House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Live Peasant

Postal Strike

This is now taking the piss. Had to ring my bank today to find out where a cheque had got to so I can pay for a customer's server.

"Oh, sorry" said the lass at the bank "we haven't had any cheques for 4 days whilst they clear the backlog from the strikes."

Apparently, this is the 11th 24th hour strike since June.

Two questions.

Why is the post office so reluctant to just increase the price of stamps to the point where they have a viable business?

Why don't the PO management tell the unions to go f*ck themselves, install the new technology that's required and hire people who want to work?

:angry:

linuxgeek

You see its much better this way, everybody gets reamed, the most profitable parts get open to competition, the public and the staff get to pay the price and the service cut.

Still, you should have asked the lass why it will still take her bank the best part of a week to process it even when it does arrive

it warms my cockles to think how desperately they want to encourage privatisation to make their jobs more efficient

Edited by Si1

Never ceases to amaze me how many groups of workers are so desperate to show us all how little we actually need them anymore.

Does the postal strike affect email, or is that a different company?

Nothing wrong with the post office, just standing up for themselves and taking no sh*t. What does modernisation actually mean anyway? Work harder for less? Why bother, leave it as it is, I don't want to end up having to pay £2 to send a letter.

Nothing wrong with the post office, just standing up for themselves and taking no sh*t. What does modernisation actually mean anyway? Work harder for less? Why bother, leave it as it is, I don't want to end up having to pay £2 to send a letter.

Laugh at this type of post, bereft of any facts or understanding but full of rectoric.

You tell 'em don't let them pesky market forces defeat you..............

Edited by Godley

This is now taking the piss. Had to ring my bank today to find out where a cheque had got to so I can pay for a customer's server.

"Oh, sorry" said the lass at the bank "we haven't had any cheques for 4 days whilst they clear the backlog from the strikes."

Apparently, this is the 11th 24th hour strike since June.

Two questions.

Why is the post office so reluctant to just increase the price of stamps to the point where they have a viable business?

Why don't the PO management tell the unions to go f*ck themselves, install the new technology that's required and hire people who want to work?

:angry:

They will either accept the changes or not and decide to fight to the bitter end either way after the PO management have done the dance the new technology will be installed, working practices will change and it will get privatised. The management need to let the unions think they still have some relevance.

In the meantime do what we have done and subcontract the post to a 3rd party who will ensure delivery at an agreed price. Use the free market and exclude the short sited knob jockeys in the post office.

Every time my deliveries get stuffed up by the post office, the less I want to use them.

My local DHL driver doesn't go on strike (he's self-employed!), DHL are increasingly cheaper for packages, and their tracking system is better.

I know you're into Linux so are perhaps in your own little world. But how about using BACS? Its really clever, you give your customer your bank details and they pay into your account digitally. It can still take a day or two, but so much faster than a cheque. :lol: Think of it as the Windows way of running a server lol

I was thinking to myself this morning. Except for once a year for birthdays and the odd thing I order from the internet. Everything I get from the post is a bill or some other thing Im not that bothered about seeing. So other than the guy with his cheque who really cares if they strike all the time?

DHL are good, so are citilink.

Every time my deliveries get stuffed up by the post office, the less I want to use them.

My local DHL driver doesn't go on strike (he's self-employed!), DHL are increasingly cheaper for packages, and their tracking system is better.

instead of me paying £2 in taxes so you can send a letter?

I know you're into Linux so are perhaps in your own little world. But how about using BACS? Its really clever, you give your customer your bank details and they pay into your account digitally. It can still take a day or two, but so much faster than a cheque. :lol: Think of it as the Windows way of running a server lol

:lol:

Unfortunately, it's the customer who issued the cheque rather than BACS which is my normal transfer method of choice.

And the customer is paying up front, so no possibility of bad debts accruing, in the best traditions of HPCers everywhere.

Edited by linuxgeek

Why don't the PO management tell the unions to go f*ck themselves, install the new technology that's required and hire

Because the unions then go to their labour party servants and threaten to cut off funding; the gov't then goes back to the management and tells them to do exactly what the unions say.

Because the unions then go to their labour party servants and threaten to cut off funding; the gov't then goes back to the management and tells them to do exactly what the unions say.

thus providing a mandate for the next tory govt to privatise said organisation

Because, very much like the NHS, the PO has a secondary social function of providing lots of low-skilled, low paid, unionised jobs. As a society, we're just reaching the crossroads (as we will with the NHS in a few years) where we decide whether or not we want to keep paying for this secondary social function. On the whole, I think we'd rather not.

In the US some banks will allow you to scan a cheque and upload the jpeg.

Can't be long before it happens here.

What stops you from uploading the jpeg to multiple accounts with different banks?

What stops you from uploading the jpeg to multiple accounts with different banks?

Old bill coming along and putting you in jail. :(

Seriously though, who uses cheques these days? Even I make all my payments using online banking.