House Price Crash Forum

Jalapeño Peppers

Garry AKA Pod

HOLA441

I love the buggers. Only seem to be able to buy them in little jars and only sold by The Old El Paso Party.

A Crying shame. Anyone know if supermarkets do their own? Not managed to find any yet. Would I be better going to a deli?

I do intend to start growing my own.

HOLA442
Guest absolutezero
I love the buggers. Only seem to be able to buy them in little jars and only sold by The Old El Paso Party.

A Crying shame. Anyone know if supermarkets do their own? Not managed to find any yet. Would I be better going to a deli?

Try an Asian cash and carry. Lots of good stuff there.

HOLA443

Most of the supermarkets do little packets of chilis.

I've grown them before but the ones this year didn't produce anything as the flowers just seemed to fall off before they could turn into fruit.

HOLA444
Most of the supermarkets do little packets of chilis.

I've grown them before but the ones this year didn't produce anything as the flowers just seemed to fall off before they could turn into fruit.

I'm more taken by the pickled variety.

HOLA445

Arrrrr. They burn when they go in, and they burn when they come out... :blink:

El Paso ones are expensive and mushy, though. Still, if you can't get anything else....

HOLA446

My local Sainsburies also sells Discovery branded jars of Jalapenos, I prefer this brand over Old El Paso.

http://www.discoveryfoods.co.uk/product/11...-jalapenos.html

I keep my fridge stocked up with about three or four jars at a time :o

HOLA447
HOLA448
My local Sainsburies also sells Discovery branded jars of Jalapenos, I prefer this brand over Old El Paso.

http://www.discoveryfoods.co.uk/product/11...-jalapenos.html

I keep my fridge stocked up with about three or four jars at a time :o

Why would you keep anything pickled, in a fridge? :huh:

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Melis pickled peppers from Turkey are my favorites .

I usually get the mild yellowy/green ones (look like the fingers on the Alien spawn) which can be 8" long .

630g jar is around £1.45 at Budgens .

Great cut up with with noodles and spring onions :-)

Melis also do Japapeno pickled peppers

http://www.e-foodandwine.co.uk/product_inf...roducts_id=1084

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Melis pickled peppers from Turkey are my favorites .

I usually get the mild yellowy/green ones (look like the fingers on the Alien spawn) which can be 8" long .

630g jar is around £1.45 at Budgens .

Great cut up with with noodles and spring onions :-)

Melis also do Japapeno pickled peppers

http://www.e-foodandwine.co.uk/product_inf...roducts_id=1084

I did once buy a tin of those, but I don't recall where ad haven't seen them since. Ta for the link.

HOLA4414

Pricey of course but Waitrose sometimes do them at their deli counters and very good they are to. Much better than any of the label ones..........

Got to give it to the Yanks; the ones you get there, stuffed with cheese or not, are a quality way to eat too much if you have to.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Pricey of course but Waitrose sometimes do them at their deli counters and very good they are to. Much better than any of the label ones..........

Got to give it to the Yanks; the ones you get there, stuffed with cheese or not, are a quality way to eat too much if you have to.

Haven't bought any from them for a while, but Waitrose used to do jars of green ones in their 'Cooks Ingredients' section.

HOLA4418

If you are in London, go to Santo restaurant on Portobello Road, their Jalepenos rock hard.

HOLA4419

If you have a south window, growing them is best, most intense flavour when freshly picked. Also the best tasting chilli that I have tasted is the Tobago seasoning pepper, its a chinese habenero type with no heat at all but bursting with flavour. Best to germinate mid Jan to give a long season, feed with chilli focus.

Archived