House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rakno

This Is What I Am Going To Do With My Str Fund

I have split my STR fund between an amount that I could buy a comfortable house (for cash) at current market rate, and an amount that I need in a few years time.

The spare amount is going to be converted to a mix of EUR, CAD, CHF and INR, on a equal basis.

I think the GBP is going to tank and want to safe guard these funds for later.

Anybody got any better ideas

I have split my STR fund between an amount that I could buy a comfortable house (for cash) at current market rate, and an amount that I need in a few years time.

The spare amount is going to be converted to a mix of EUR, CAD, CHF and INR, on a equal basis.

NOK in currency the safest game in town

Guest absolutezero

Yeah. Give it to me.

Pick a sector that's going to do well and buy shares in that sector in a country whose currency is going to do well against the pound.

Pick a sector that's going to do well and buy shares in that sector in a country whose currency is going to do well against the pound.

Is this such a brilliantly found opportunity that no-one else had already thought of it?

Buy gold? :rolleyes:

If you're simply after preserving your wealth, that's as good a way as any. However, since you're already going to the trouble of setting up bank accounts in several currencies, I'd suggest adding a few more to the mix and putting 10% or so of the total into precious metals as well.

If you're simply after preserving your wealth, that's as good a way as any. However, since you're already going to the trouble of setting up bank accounts in several currencies, I'd suggest adding a few more to the mix and putting 10% or so of the total into precious metals as well.

Agree totally on the currencies - a few high dividend stocks and your metal of choice makes as good a mix as one could easily achieve.

Guest absolutezero
he already is, given that you work in the state sector.

Incorrect.

I provide labour for the state's money (not his, yours or anyone else's).

I meant he could give it to me as a gift, from him.

Even better if its for the long term, put it in companies that have good oil reserves. Oil behaves more as a currency than gold does, or at least that's what the markets show.

Edited by williamdb

Buy gold? :rolleyes:

yes its cheap at 991....was 1006 day before yesterday....easy pickings

Even better if its for the long term, put it in companies that have good oil reserves. Oil behaves more as a currency than gold does, or at least that's what the markets show.

The miners. ;)

To be fair, it wasn't just new labour that screwed things up, they did a bit help from the people who made speculative gains in real estate.

To be fair, it wasn't just new labour that screwed things up, they did a bit help from the people who made speculative gains in real estate.

:blink: ...Okay...got it...we are missing an 'it'

I agree about oil, although investing in it as a private individual is tricky (ETFs are not great since they're based on derivatives rather than physical oil, unlike precious metal ETFs of course). I'd need to see some research showing a very strong long term correlation between the relevant oil company sector index and spot crude prices before thinking that buying the stock as a proxy was a good idea. Sounds pluasible though.