House Price Crash Forum
Badger

Amateur Ll With A Non Paying Tenant

New contractor at work is constantly on the phone trying to sort out landlords woes - tenant moved in 3 weeks ago, made no moves to get their benefits sorted out in order to pay the rent & he's now learned legally he may be stuck with this tenant for up to a year. :huh:

Now, wheres my micro violin..

New contractor at work is constantly on the phone trying to sort out landlords woes - tenant moved in 3 weeks ago, made no moves to get their benefits sorted out in order to pay the rent & he's now learned legally he may be stuck with this tenant for up to a year. :huh:

What a dipstick, did he not figure out why most rental ads say 'No DSS or HB'?

Is his employer happy to pay him to do this sh*t ???

Guest skullingtonjoe
What a dipstick, did he not figure out why most rental ads say 'No DSS or HB'?

Not everyone claiming HB or on benefit is going to rip off a landlord (there`s going to be a lot more claimants until `the recovery` kicks in). However, two months` deposit plus rent might have helped helped to provide some kind of buffer (don`t know what the standing on the TDS deposit scheme is here) while going through the courts.

If the tenant does not pay up then getting him evicted should not be too much trouble provided that the Ll goes through the correct procedures.

Anyway, `amateur` really does sum it up! :rolleyes: He should be working and adding value, not stealing the employer`s time (and cost of phone calls?) <_< Wait until he tries to forcibly evict the tenant and gets done (with a maximum fine of £5000 and/or 6 months in the nick!)

Edited by skullingtonjoe

Not everyone claiming HB or on benefit is going to rip off a landlord (there`s going to be a lot more claimants until `the recovery` kicks in). However, two months` deposit plus rent might help.

If the tenant does not pay up then getting him evicted should not be too much trouble provided that the Ll goes through the correct procedures.

The procedures are straightforward but time consuming. It's worse, because the council positively encourage tenants to fight and stay as long as possible rent-free, because if the tenant doesn't fight tooth-and-nail all the way though, then they will be classed as 'willfully homeless' and ineligible for council housing, etc.

Typical time line is like this:

Tenant falls 2 months into arrears.

Landlord is now able to serve an eviction notice in view of breach of contract.

Tenant refuses to leave.

Landlord contacts court to get posession order.

Wait 3 moths for court date.

Posession order granted by court.

Tenant refuses to leave.

Landlord asks court for permission to employ bailiffs to serve posession order.

Wait 1 month for court date.

Tenant evicted after living 6 months rent free, and after landlord has had to pay several sets of court costs.

This happened to my sister who owned her home, but had to move for a period of 2 years for work reasons, and didn't want to sell as she intended to move straight back. The tenant lost their job a couple of months after taking a 6 month AST. In then end, the tenant got 9 months rent-free accomodation, and my sister was several thousand pounds out of pocket in legal fees, bailiffs fees and court costs (nevermind nearly £8k in lost rent).

He ought to get a heavy to threaten them. I could get them out that day.

Scum like that deserve the council block not a decent house.

Nice to see you, Sibley

Hi Sibley.

How are those off plans in Pan Peninsula doing?

no. you are scum and so far he seems to have been within his rights. you just can't get your head around the fact it isn't easy money off the state.

Ironically, many such amateur landlords with newbuilds are letting places unfit for council housing.

etc

don't make him angry. you won't like him when he's angry.

hulkb.jpg

(Sibley reacts to news his 3 bed maisonette in Maidstone is worth less than half than he paid for it)

Edited by Lambie

My Irish mate would have him out in 1 minute. He's done it before.

You people need to get in the real world

And here we have the typical child of the 80s. No wonder the world is going down the drain.

I agree with Sibley. :o

The Landlord might be a naive idiot, but that doesn't make it right for the tenant to live their for free. As much as I generally despise landlords, they should have stronger rights in being able evict those that clearly have no intention of paying rent.

My Irish mate would have him out in 1 minute. He's done it before.

You people need to get in the real world

Right or wrong a lot of people will take this route and it would be the first option of a lot of people I know.

What are the actual ramifications though?

Your heavy says piss the ****** off.

Tenant say, go eat shit you **** and grabs a kitchen knife, get the ****** out of my house before I make shish kabab out of you.

heavy looks at sibly and says, this ones all yours mate

What next sibley?

Or even assuming they are not violent but just refuse. You ruff them up a bit and they go to the police. Worse yet they return with bricks and a sledge hammer, smash your windows and a lot of your walls etc

I agree with Sibley. :o

The Landlord might be a naive idiot, but that doesn't make it right for the tenant to live their for free. As much as I generally despise landlords, they should have stronger rights in being able evict those that clearly have no intention of paying rent.

There's a difference between stronger rights for landlords, and sending a thug round.

Although as my last post implied I am seriously beginning to think that Sibley is a 13 year with bad braces and coke bottle glasses.

Also this guy said that they (courts presumably) are heavily in favour of the tenant & that they 'hate landlords' quite right too I piped up at that juncture.

He added though that he now knows how to squat effectively because of this. The day before a non-paying tenant is due in court - tenant pays up a weeks rent. Landlord then has to go through process again taking another 3 months.. and so on ;)

Not that I agree with such behaviour you understand :unsure:

If someone deliberately did this to me, then I would be within my Rights to remove them by whatever means should prove necessary.

My money and wellbeing demands it, and this comes before everything else for me.

If someone deliberately did this to me, then I would be within my Rights to remove them by whatever means should prove necessary.

My money and wellbeing demands it, and this comes before everything else for me.

Not from a legal point of view.

Not from a legal point of view.

What is the law compared to my needs and wants?

I have a right to succeed.

All everyone else needs to do is play fair and stay the f*** out of my way.

It works both ways regarding getting the heavies in.

No you don't. You have the right to try within the law.

You also have the right to try to break the law and get away with but don't come whining if you get in trouble.

To be honest, if the tenant was a p*ss taker rather than in unexpected financial difficulty, I'd do a Sibley. But I would certainly keep quiet about it.

And how exactly would you remove such a tenant?

I fear you'd have one more property to rent - your main residence while you spend time at HMP.

All BTLers are scum anyway so good on the tenants who do such a thing.

A house is for living in.

OMG I really hope this is ironic.

Please, it's ironic.

Can't you find an ironic emoticon to put a the end of your post.

Otherwise. Stop winding us up.