To Our Children

HOLA441
Rubbish.

Economics is not a science.

Yes, it is.

There are no laws of economics.

Yes, there are.

Not one.

It's just like statistics. You can prove anything you like with economics.

Data doesn't lie, even if the presentation can be fallacious.

Every communist or totalitarian regime has had a crap economy, every freer system has had a good one. The conclusion is obvious.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
Very strange I know.

It's because in the UK we have the Bank of England.

The Bank of England has the power to change interest rates. Which essentially determine the cost of servicing debt.

During most of 2008 interest rates were 5%.

During most of 2009 they were 0.5%.

This makes the debt cheaper to service. It's actually very simple.

whats the current yield on Gilts

HOLA443
HOLA444
Actually there is much less coming straight out of the economy in tax at the moment. Hence the deficit.

The £1.649bn MORE will come in subsequent years.

thanks, you mean GO rather than Come In of course.

still giggling over that joke with the travel agents.

HOLA445
Guest absolutezero
Yes there is - comparative advantage. Mind you, that's pretty much the only one I can think of.

Until you read further down and it says "origins of the theory".

"Theory" in everyday speech is not the same as "theory" in a scientific sense.

The article uses the everyday definition.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
Guest absolutezero
Yes, it is.

Yes, there are.

Data doesn't lie, even if the presentation can be fallacious.

Every communist or totalitarian regime has had a crap economy, every freer system has had a good one. The conclusion is obvious.

Feel free to keep deluding yourself.

I'm not getting into a "no it isn't, "yes it is", "no it isn't" debate.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
Guest tbatst2000
Until you read further down and it says "origins of the theory".

"Theory" in everyday speech is not the same as "theory" in a scientific sense.

The article uses the everyday definition.

Go on then, disprove it.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
That's not inflation adjusted :angry:
Consumer debt in the 70's only looks about $2000-3000. How much did an average American earn then? £2-3k p/a seem reasonable. Looks as though personal consumer debt has stayed at about a years salary (perhaps a bit more).

Scary chart but its not adjusted for inflation.

And where did that inflation come from?

HOLA4413
Feel free to keep deluding yourself.

I'm not getting into a "no it isn't, "yes it is", "no it isn't" debate.

I am not the most regular visitor here and this may not be a news, but it is very obvious you are sucking a tit of HMRC, aren't you?

Nobody else in his sober mind would deny economics and finance are EXACT sciences. You choose the path and get where it leads to, not where you want it to lead. Just like a PC does what you make it do, not what you want it to do.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Nobody else in his sober mind would deny economics and finance are EXACT sciences. You choose the path and get where it leads to, not where you want it to lead. Just like a PC does what you make it do, not what you want it to do.

Wow.

Economics is just a bizarre mix of psychology, sociology, physics and voodoo. With a bit of maths thrown in for good measure.

If economics was exact we'd all be living the life of Riley.

HOLA4417
Wow.

Economics is just a bizarre mix of psychology, sociology, physics and voodoo. With a bit of maths thrown in for good measure.

If economics was exact we'd all be living the life of Riley.

This is the problem with economics -

It's optional.

That is you don't have to.

So is nutrition.

You don't have to use that either. You can eat as much chips and drink as much beer as you like - but guess what? The results you get from doing that are as set in stone as any hard science. You might as well say that we have no idea what nutrition is because there are fat bastards about.

Edited by Injin

HOLA4418
This is the problem with economics -

It's optional.

That is you don't have to.

So is nutrition.

You don't have to use that either. You can eat as much chips and drink as much beer as you like - but guess what? The results you get from doing that are as set in stone as any hard science. You might as well say that we have no idea what nutrition is because there are fat bastards about.

If it's optional then it's not hard science. You step off a balcony on the 10th floor you fall. That's hard science. You eat shit and don't exercise, you'll be unhealthy. That's hard science. It's not optional.

You can bugger about with economics till the cows come home and still not know what's going to happen. That's not hard science.

HOLA4419
If it's optional then it's not hard science. You step off a balcony on the 10th floor you fall. That's hard science. You eat shit and don't exercise, you'll be unhealthy. That's hard science. It's not optional.

Neither is economics.

You make loads of something, it devalues. Make too much and it's valueless.

You can bugger about with economics till the cows come home and still not know what's going to happen. That's not hard science.

Yes, you can know what will happen. All fiat moneys have vanished into hyperinflation, every time they have been tried.

Thousands of attempts, all crashed and burned.

All states expand until they completely take over their societies, then collapse - again thousands of attempts at it and all of them end the exact same way.

HOLA4420
(...) I could die tomorrow and the state would still fall - it's inevitable. Debt which can't be paid off leads to default, hyperinflation or bankrupcy. they've obviously picked bankrupcy (...)
(...) Hyperinflation it is (...)

Well, I'm glad we got that sorted out.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
I am not the most regular visitor here and this may not be a news, but it is very obvious you are sucking a tit of HMRC, aren't you?

Many economists don't think that economics is a hard science. Austrian economists, for example, reject experiment (so I understand).

In my opinion, economics is a science, but most economists are not scientists. They are ideologues.

One symptom of this is the existence of both economics, the right-wing social science, and sociology, the left-wing social science. If ideology were not a fundamental issue within the field, then there would only be a single subject.

Also, I think that current economic theory is not anywhere near as accurate as physical or biological sciences.

It fails miserably at prediction, has little experimental evidence and often does not make sense mathematically. Compare this to the accuracy of Quantum mechanics or thermodynamics

What I find doubly ironic is that the people who are eager to accept current economic theory as a hard fact, are often the same people who totally reject the physics of the greenhouse effect.

This is because they believe in economics as an ideology, they don't care about evidence.

Edited by the wizard

HOLA4425