House Price Crash Forum

Trawlermen 8pm Bbc 1

juvenal

HOLA441

If the nearest you've been to a stiff Southwester was in the toilet of a camp pub in Newquay, then this new series will open your eyes.

Fill your boots with TRAWLERMEN at 8pm BBC 1.

Real men - doing a hard, dangerous job to put the fish on our plates.

Contrast these doughty seafarers with the jobsworths, MP's, spivs, council drones, chancers, cheapjacks, con-men, EA's, bankers, BTL landlords, IFA's, duck house fanciers, petty officials, tv property rampers, expenses artists, and the other nonsense-merchants who infest society.

Real men; real danger; real haddock.

No wonder the first series got up to 4 million viewers on BBC 2 - nearly twice the audience of landlubbers Krusty, Beeny and their ilk.

Can you see Phil or Krusty holding their own down below in a Force 10?

If the choice at 8pm is between men worth every dangerous pound they earn, and Krusty and Phil traipsing round other peoples 'properties' talking about 'potential'....

Hand me that gutting knife, because I'm with the fishermen!!!!

HOLA442
If the nearest you've been to a stiff Southwester was in the toilet of a camp pub in Newquay, then this new series will open your eyes.

Contrast these doughty seafarers with the jobsworths, MP's, spivs, council drones, chancers, cheapjacks, con-men, EA's, bankers, BTL landlords, IFA's, duck house fanciers, petty officials, tv property rampers, expenses artists, and the other nonsense-merchants who infest society.

No wonder the first series got up to 4 million viewers on BBC 2 - nearly twice the audience of landlubbers Krusty, Beeny and their ilk.

If the choice at 8pm is between men worth every dangerous pound they earn, and Krusty and Phil traipsing round other peoples 'properties' talking about 'potential'....

Bloody love this programme which mystifies my better half. I even watch repeats of it on Dave. Awesome stuff

HOLA443

:lol: Aye Aye Captain.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Does this description also apply to Spanish, Portuguese, Icelandic fishermen, doing the same job?

It's right though - isn't it the most dangerous job now that the mines have closed?

HOLA446
Does this description also apply to Spanish, Portuguese, Icelandic fishermen, doing the same job?

It's right though - isn't it the most dangerous job now that the mines have closed?

Correct, sir.

I salute all deepwater trawlermen, where'ere they hail from.

A plate of well-vingared cod and chips, and an hour spent with these heroes is some small consolation for the living hell of Brown's Britain..

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Guest Barebear

A mate of mine died on a trawler aged 21. he lost his footing in a storm and got thrown about the boat, died from head injuries.

Make no bones about it when your at sea in a storm,theres nothing quite so dangerous. Especially when your on a small boat and trying to work.

They've mentioned a few times on trawlermen that if you get washed overboard in those conditions thats your lot.

I used to drink with fishermen and Im here to tell you that they're the salt of the earth. The sort you want beside you in a crisis.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Guest DisposableHeroes

You know your watching HARD MEN of the uk, when subtitles are required for translation.

HOLA4417

Totally agree, the salty sea dogs earn every penny ten times over.

Forget national service, the MPs/ should all have to do a tour with these guys. How about if you earn over a certain amount in a bailed out bank it is compulsory to do a tour!

HOLA4418
They've mentioned a few times on trawlermen that if you get washed overboard in those conditions thats your lot.

Surely it's not beyond the wit of man to come up with some sort of attachment system as used on sail boats.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Guest Barebear
Surely it's not beyond the wit of man to come up with some sort of attachment system as used on sail boats.

Well Quork the problem is they're working at the same time not just standing there. So imagine everyone being attached by a rope. One big tangle aye. Got it now.

They aint stupid as you've implied.

HOLA4422
Can't these be offshored to India or China? £5 a day much cheaper wages , and less health and safety regulations, pension contributions etc...

Shhhh.... don't give em ideas!

alot of it has been mate

in australia they catch the fish then send them to thailand to get filleted , then send them back and have the nerve to call it 'fresh' fish

HOLA4423
alot of it has been mate

in australia they catch the fish then send them to thailand to get filleted , then send them back and have the nerve to call it 'fresh' fish

It happens here. Scottish prawns go to Thailand to be shelled and packed, then come back here to be eaten. Incredible.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article1813836.ece

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
It happens here. Scottish prawns go to Thailand to be shelled and packed, then come back here to be eaten. Incredible.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article1813836.ece

And then most get shipped off to the Continent as our country does not tend to appreciate quality seafood. :(

As for the deadliest catch ? Mental for sure. Sometimes they make no money. However some of the ones who have worked for a few years ? They can get tens of thousands for a week's work. Not bad. Yes it is dangerous, but I doubt it is anywhere near as dangerous as wandering around Afghanisatn wearing a British Army uniform. And they get paid that sort of money for 2 years work.

Archived