House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BelfastVI

Ftse Hit 5000 Today

But as no one has posted it here - it must be a good news story.

... relavance to the Northern Ireland sub-foum discussion on the local housing market? :unsure:

This was posted on the main forum at 2 o'clock? Do we need it posted here too?

... relavance to the Northern Ireland sub-foum discussion on the local housing market? :unsure:

This was posted on the main forum at 2 o'clock? Do we need it posted here too?

When the FSTE went down it seemed to be quite relevant

Was it? :blink:

There is lots of information posted on his website more relevant this.

Here is a good example...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009/sep/0...-mortgage-costs

The cost of borrowing between banks fell in August, but lenders are not passing on the savings to mortgage customers on fixed-rate deals, figures showed today.

Data from the Bank of England showed the average interest rate charged on a five-year fixed-rate mortgage with a loan to value (LTV) of 75% reached an average 5.72% in August, having dipped to below 5% between January and May.

Edited by Belfast Boy

Was it? :blink:

There is lots of information posted on his website more relevant this.

Here is a good example...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009/sep/0...-mortgage-costs

Yes thats a much better post - cant let folk get too positive here. The article shows how the banks are profeting on the peoples fear of interest rate rises and jumping to 5 year fixed rates.

Yes I remember topics such as 'FTSE Tanks' and 'DOW Tanks' and I believe you did feel it relevant enough to post. As you had every right to as it was relevant.

Found it: But from reading all the posts in the topic I see it was a negative story and understand that is allowed.

The old boy, told me to 'give over'. I explained to him that what we may we witnessing, is a 'once in a lifetime experience'. History is being made and not in a good way

As someone else said - the amout of times unprecented is used in the news at the moment is unprecented!

My favorite quote at the moment is , 'Hope for the best. Plan for the worst!'

Sky News saying Nikkie closed down 9.62% in Japan. The FTSE is expected to open below 4000. A few months ago it was over 6000

The article shows how the banks are profeting on the peoples fear of interest rate rises and jumping to 5 year fixed rates.

Surely banks are pricing in the coming interest rate rises ? Or do you see a Japan type lost decade of 0% interest rates over the long term ?

If so bring it on along with the 80% fall in property values :ph34r:

Yes I remember topics such as 'FTSE Tanks' and 'DOW Tanks' and I believe you did feel it relevant enough to post. As you had every right to as it was relevant.

The point is: Did I - or anyone - start a topic/thread on the subject in the Northern Ireland sub-forum? :unsure:

Are you watching 1929: The Great Crash on BBC Two now? I am concerned we are making the same mistakes all over again? :(

Edited by Belfast Boy

I would say at the moment it is more relevant with the high correlation with house prices. I m actually using the FTSE as a more liquid leading indicator for future house price falls. It is just moving up to where it was before, the test is will it move from these previous highs. Like a rally in house prices we have seen and stocks, they seemed destined to suck in as many people as possible before reversing course. The optimism is extreme at the moment for the economic conditions.

But as no one has posted it here - it must be a good news story.

i find your post a bit odd - you seem to infer that the majority of posters (property bearish) here are anti 'good' news or bearish about the stockmarket.

did you not see the thread titled: 'Off Topic -amateur Stock Market Investment' on the same page as this thread? perhaps your 'good news' post may have fitted very well in the afore-mentioned thread?

personally, if I had reason to believe the SM was about to rally I might choose to go long, likewise, if i think the SM has temporarily topped, I might short the FTSE etc.

fwiw, i wouldn't choose either course of action at the mo as there is too much qe money sloshing around and distorting the 'real' picture

but reporting the ftse has gone over 5000 and adding that (paraphrasing) it hasn't been posted because it's good news is a bit childish imho

I would say at the moment it is more relevant with the high correlation with house prices. I m actually using the FTSE as a more liquid leading indicator for future house price falls. It is just moving up to where it was before, the test is will it move from these previous highs. Like a rally in house prices we have seen and stocks, they seemed destined to suck in as many people as possible before reversing course. The optimism is extreme at the moment for the economic conditions.

yup. i am surprised by the level of the markets in september 09. as i was surprised where we were in september 07 and september 08. however i am not alarmed, im currently working short positions and expect the markets to be lower in the medium term and longer term, what happens in the short term is anyones guess.

i expect property to follow a similar pattern.

i appreciate and welcome Belfast VI bringing this up, I do think the website naturally has a bias towards negative news

I see the FTSE went over the 5,500 mark today. It has made up 60% of what it lost. I wonder how long this will last?

Edited by BelfastVI

I read recently (in a John Kenneth Galbraith book iirc) that stock markets always rise in January. I'm sure there must be an exception but there you go. Is it bonus season perhaps? Anyway, I've gleaned from various sources that there's an amount of 'irrational exuberance' in the markets and stocks are overvalued.

I read recently (in a John Kenneth Galbraith book iirc) that stock markets always rise in January. I'm sure there must be an exception but there you go. Is it bonus season perhaps? Anyway, I've gleaned from various sources that there's an amount of 'irrational exuberance' in the markets and stocks are overvalued.

Now where did we hear that before.

2005 - 2008 perhaps?

I can't claim any of this information is mine. Joseph Stieglitz, Nobel Prizewinner for economics (I laugh that economics is treated as a science) muttered about the irrational exuberance in the markets. It's an old phrase though. You'll hear it bandied about a lot.

studied Stiglitz at Uni he actually is the best of the bad bunch that are todays economists. his "Globalization and Its Discontents" book is worth finding online for a fiver.

BelfastVI - the dozen or so companies that make up the majority of the FTSE make the vast majority of there income from outside the UK. Hence the performance of the FTSE really is now down to how they are performing globally and for me has little to do with how the man on the street in the UK is getting on.

studied Stiglitz at Uni he actually is the best of the bad bunch that are todays economists. his "Globalization and Its Discontents" book is worth finding online for a fiver.

BelfastVI - the dozen or so companies that make up the majority of the FTSE make the vast majority of there income from outside the UK. Hence the performance of the FTSE really is now down to how they are performing globally and for me has little to do with how the man on the street in the UK is getting on.

I appreciate that. Its just that I didn't expect the stocks to rally so steadily for so long at this stage of the cycle. I don't know if its down to how well these companies are performing of if it is the instutations of the man in the street who invests, for that matter who seen the lows they reached as severally undervalue and therefore a bargain.