House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darkman

Products That Do Not Work

Anyone tried those ink refills for HP cartridges? I thought they sounded like a money saving idea, and gave it a go. Bought from an ebayer with very good feedback. And the result? The result is crap. One print will look fine, but then the next two are streaky. I followed instructions, and also cleaned the cartridges and did many test prints.

Now unless someone tells me they had great results with these things, I'm inclined to think that yet again I've been sold a DNW product i.e. DOES NOT WORK. You know the story. You buy something, and it sits there for weeks until you finally get round to trying it. And it either FAILS immediately or FAILS sometime soon. And usually you're too lazy to complain or return it.

The more I think about it, the more it seems this is an endemic problem to this country because we don't complain easily. Companies seem to make a mint selling DNW products. The purchasers discover the fact too late to feel they can do anything, or just can't be bothered to complain.

I had a similar with an expensive digital radio. I actually got it for free with a voucher as it happens, but it should still work! Could the damn thing get a signal? Could it HELL. It was a piece of utter rubbish. FM radios are superior.

Anyway, my point is these aren't isolated incidents. There are companies out there selling tat, and they are getting away with it.

[/rant]

Halfords is a Mecca for products that DNW or have a working life which can be measured in minutes. Closely followed by Maplins.

1. Bough an electric foot pump (yes I'm lazy). Pumped a type up once, after which the pump gave up the ghost.

2. Bought an adapter lead for a car cigarette lighter socket, so I could plug in several devices, such as laptop and mobile phone charge at one. The product DNW!

3. Bought a stick on windscreen mobile phone holder. After a few weeks of usage, all the foam padding has come unglued and my mobile phone now falls into the foot well.

Maplins. Their laptop PSU's have a life of a few months, if that. Try and source one on Ebay instead.

Anyone tried those ink refills for HP cartridges? I thought they sounded like a money saving idea, and gave it a go. Bought from an ebayer with very good feedback. And the result? The result is crap. One print will look fine, but then the next two are streaky. I followed instructions, and also cleaned the cartridges and did many test prints.

Now unless someone tells me they had great results with these things, I'm inclined to think that yet again I've been sold a DNW product i.e. DOES NOT WORK. You know the story. You buy something, and it sits there for weeks until you finally get round to trying it. And it either FAILS immediately or FAILS sometime soon. And usually you're too lazy to complain or return it.

The more I think about it, the more it seems this is an endemic problem to this country because we don't complain easily. Companies seem to make a mint selling DNW products. The purchasers discover the fact too late to feel they can do anything, or just can't be bothered to complain.

I had a similar with an expensive digital radio. I actually got it for free with a voucher as it happens, but it should still work! Could the damn thing get a signal? Could it HELL. It was a piece of utter rubbish. FM radios are superior.

Anyway, my point is these aren't isolated incidents. There are companies out there selling tat, and they are getting away with it.

[/rant]

All sorts of reasons for getting streaks.

I get my cartridges filled up at Cartridge World. Print quailty does deterioate with the odd streak, but ok for look over once stuff. I have two printers, one for internal, one for external. The external I use the proper carts in.

If you haven't guessed it yet, ink costs are a real issue. For certain brands the printer costs sweet FA and the carts really expensive. For others the printer is expensive, but you get a lot more ink per cart.

Canon are the ones to go for if you print a lot. A certain other extremely popular brand really sucks if you are printing in any sort of volume.

Most things made by JML only work for a very short time and then break/stop working.

Beauty products are scientifically proven not to work, but that doesn't stop it being a multi billion £ industry.

Condoms.... seem to have quite a high failure rate.

All sorts of reasons for getting streaks.

I get my cartridges filled up at Cartridge World. Print quailty does deterioate with the odd streak, but ok for look over once stuff. I have two printers, one for internal, one for external. The external I use the proper carts in.

If you haven't guessed it yet, ink costs are a real issue. For certain brands the printer costs sweet FA and the carts really expensive. For others the printer is expensive, but you get a lot more ink per cart.

Canon are the ones to go for if you print a lot. A certain other extremely popular brand really sucks if you are printing in any sort of volume.

Indeed..you can get Canon inkjet cartridges for around a quid..they seem to do the same job as an HP cartridge. Its specificially why I got a Canon over a HP or a Lexmark.

Rather than refills, i'd probably go for a decent third-party cartridge..They're similar prices and you are more or less likely going to get reliable prints.

With my H-P printer I find that DIY refill kits are usually OK for the b/w and colour graphics cartridge for two or three refills before the chip wears out and the prints start to become streaky. I've never managed to refill a photo cartridge successfully, though: the colour balance is always very wrong compared to using a H-P new one, usually with a red/pinkish hue.

My favourite DNW candidate of late is the Tefal Quick Cup kettle. I succumbed to temptation and bought one when Tesco had them reduced to £30 about a year ago. It lasted about two months before it stopped heating the water: if you pressed the red button cold water came out. I returned it, got a replacement and the exact same thing happened at about the same time interval later. I took that one back and got a refund. The lady in Tesco told me that virtually every one they sold came back knackered a few weeks later.

plenty of tat , just look for the made in china label

That strategy might work if you only buy food. Everything pretty much is made in China.

They also keep databases of people who dare to return items that don't work, and I've heard of people being banned from shops because they take too much stuff back!

TFH

Sort of true, insofar that if any store has an abnormally high level of returns you will often a small minority of idiot customers will be responsible for the majority of returns. It's most economical to politiely suggest a competitor might be better able to service their 'business'.

Far as printing goes I'd never really buy a printer from a shop on the grounds it's guaranteed to be a cheap piece of sh1t designed to sell out at an ultra-low retail where the profit is recouped on the exorbitant cartridges.

You only really want to buy a laser printer or something designed for businesses. We buy remanufactured cartridges for ours (print 1000s of delivery notes/day) cost about £25/cartridge and last for 20,000 copies.

(I did buy a cheap HP printer in an emergency once though and I did manage to refill the black with one of the kits, the colour defeated me but I think that was me not the kit.)

Now unless someone tells me they had great results with these things,

I bought a black recon cart for an HP890C from here http://www.printerinks.com/Default.aspx a month or so ago .

Works well so far and they supply a prepaid envelope to send the empty back to them .

Halfords is a Mecca for products that DNW or have a working life which can be measured in minutes. Closely followed by Maplins.

1. Bough an electric foot pump (yes I'm lazy). Pumped a type up once, after which the pump gave up the ghost.

2. Bought an adapter lead for a car cigarette lighter socket, so I could plug in several devices, such as laptop and mobile phone charge at one. The product DNW!

3. Bought a stick on windscreen mobile phone holder. After a few weeks of usage, all the foam padding has come unglued and my mobile phone now falls into the foot well.

Maplins. Their laptop PSU's have a life of a few months, if that. Try and source one on Ebay instead.

I prefer Argos for my non functioning tat needs. I did buy an electric car tyre pump from Halfords own brand range - it worked for a year or so and has now expired. I find the 'Made in China' label attached to cheap as chips merchandise a recipe for DNWdom.

Still, those containers that come here filled with tat with the life of a mayfly go backed filled with broken tat as scrap, and thus the cycle of commerce continues, until the oil runs out.

I will not buy anything electrical from PC World or Argos on principle. Went to Argos as I needed to replace my broken digital camera, wanted to check focussing times etc. but was told I couldn't try it out. Went to an independent photo shop and picked up a nice Pentax for £80 - They were more than happy to let my try any camera out. Argos will not take back anything with digital media - that includes Freeview boxes etc. with hard disks.

PC World seem to have a "you've opened it tough mate" return policy. I have seen fisticuffs at the returns desk at one branch over RAM ....

So apart from these rather poor examples of customer service, my DNW's include:

• A battery milk whisk that shook itself to bits after a few weeks
  • A Chinese dishwasher that didn't wash dishes but did try to set the kitchen on fire
  • A waterproof coat from a major outdoor store that the elastic toggle broke after a few days use - the lining in the pocket has now fallen apart inside and it is only 18 months old
  • A hard disk caddy from an internet computer parts retailer that the case screws just turn round and round and not lock after replacing the drive (no force used)
  • A new fridge freezer that the light only works intermittently and frosts up all the time even when on minimum

Buy cheap, buy twice is my experience.

PC World seem to have a "you've opened it tough mate" return policy. I have seen fisticuffs at the returns desk at one branch over RAM ....

Yes it's great isn't it.

"Oh, youv'e opened it"

"Well yes, I didn't know it was broken until I opened it"

"Ah well you see, now if you hadn't of opened it, I could exchange it for you. Mmmm, hold on, let me have a word with the manager"

:blink:

I can fully understand a no return policy on RAM. Very sensitive to static and the amount of people that take it out the packet without a wrist strap. Thing is, you might zap it and it may work, but you may have cause damage that will only appear some time later.

I agree about DAB, FM is superior at the bitrates used for dab radio. Add to that DAB has been superceeded in Europe because it was basically crap so when we come to upgrade there will be thousands of useless radios for more scrap :(

Car radio manufacturers will I am sure have to supply backwards compatible stereos too if you want to go to the continent and listen to radio while you drive.

My favourite DNW candidate of late is the Tefal Quick Cup kettle. I succumbed to temptation and bought one when Tesco had them reduced to £30 about a year ago. It lasted about two months before it stopped heating the water: if you pressed the red button cold water came out. I returned it, got a replacement and the exact same thing happened at about the same time interval later. I took that one back and got a refund. The lady in Tesco told me that virtually every one they sold came back knackered a few weeks later.

my quick cup is fine, got it for 5 or 6 quid s/h - used it a lot - ok for coffee, not hot enough for tea.

dont forget the 2 years eu warranty on new electricals

I prefer Argos for my non functioning tat needs. I did buy an electric car tyre pump from Halfords own brand range - it worked for a year or so and has now expired. I find the 'Made in China' label attached to cheap as chips merchandise a recipe for DNWdom.

Still, those containers that come here filled with tat with the life of a mayfly go backed filled with broken tat as scrap, and thus the cycle of commerce continues, until the oil runs out.

Yes, try instead the 'product of more than one country' which will also predominantly be made in China - IT'S VIRTUALLY ALL MADE IN CHINA.

Even if you buy some hand-stitched item from this country the zip, buttons etc will still all be from China.

Yes, try instead the 'product of more than one country' which will also predominantly be made in China - IT'S VIRTUALLY ALL MADE IN CHINA.

Even if you buy some hand-stitched item from this country the zip, buttons etc will still all be from China.

You are aware of the complexity difference between a button and an electric car tyre pump, aren't you? Or mild steel and stainless steel, or anything technical?

They also keep databases of people who dare to return items that don't work, and I've heard of people being banned from shops because they take too much stuff back!

TFH

NEVER ever give a shop your home address.

1) They have no right to have this

2) If you do you may be bombarded by mail

If you are one of those who doesn't like to cause a fuss when asked for your address - make up one.

Always buy genuine HP ink cartridges myself, find they last ages so end up better value.

The sh*te product of the year goes to my dishwasher, truly a masterpeice of DNW, would be better off chucking them in the back yard for a good hose down. The damn thing is still working though, so my tightwad habits won't let me buy another.

Every day I pray for the bastid thing to die, blow up, catch fire or just dissapear. I have no doubt whatsoever it will last 25 years. :angry:

You are aware of the complexity difference between a button and an electric car tyre pump, aren't you? Or mild steel and stainless steel, or anything technical?

I'm aware you will find it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to find an electric car tyre pump not made in China

Always buy genuine HP ink cartridges myself, find they last ages so end up better value.

Did you all know that many ink cartridges have a "reset" button on the chip? Apparently a lot will tell you the cartridge is empty long before it really is.... just look at the tank when you take it out.

You can press the reset with a biro or something, and it will carry on working.

No, I don't have a link... the info came via email.... have a google and see.... could save you a fortune.

thats no reason to give up like you are suggesting

just support non 3rd world manufacturing as much as you can

i look at every label , made a startling discovery of a brand of halogen light bulbs actually made in france! incredible.light bulbs are one thing i thought they all made in china/indonesia now but i was wrong.