House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lorna1999

Citizen's Advice Bureau - View From The Sharp End

you now need to get to their office at 8am. They will hand out 15 tickets for appointments that day. If you are number 16, you have to come back tomorrow at 8am. I am not sure when people start queing :blink:

This one CAB serves a city with about 250K people, many of whom will have to walk or travel miles to got to the CAB office. I know CAB's have had to cut back, but pressure on them now must be enormous.

you now need to get to their office at 8am. They will hand out 15 tickets for appointments that day. If you are number 16, you have to come back tomorrow at 8am. I am not sure when people start queing :blink:

This one CAB serves a city with about 250K people, many of whom will have to walk or travel miles to got to the CAB office. I know CAB's have had to cut back, but pressure on them now must be enormous.

The government have progressively cut their funding for years. It is a crying shame that such a great organisation has such limited resources.

The Govt introduced funding grant for 12 months for increased opening hours for CABs during the recession. Maybe you local CAB did not apply for it? Over the last 18 months they have had v. large rise in enquiries for housing and debt. I read someone slagging them off here yesterday as a Government mouthpiece! They are mostly volunteer run and get LA and private funding.

Each office is run independently. Maybe try another CAB or try their online service?

They started a file for a friend who's in major debt. We'd ready drafted the letter asking for full and final settlement dates on all his debts after his iva failed (It was bound to fail as they took into account his gf's income who then left him!)

They struggled to get paperwork from the iva company and then no one replied to the letters.

I don't think anyone's chasing him for the money either though - which seems slightly mad to me.

Some CAB's do phone surgeries as well, worth checking if your local one does not sure if you can prebook them though

Also worth checking the website http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/

Are most run by volunteers?

A well known HPC Member is a CAB volunteer (not me).

Most if not all are run by volunteers. They are an independent body and receive very little money considering their workload.

Apropos of nothing my Grandfather was one of the founders of the CAB, he is one of the signatories of their original charter.

Most CAB offices have a paid manager , a couple of part-time paid administrators/ funding seekers and a bank of volunteer advisors - most commonly retired middle-class types as they are the ones who can spare the time to work for nothing in what can be very stressful situations - few people go to the CAB when they're happy! If there are no advisors available for whatever reason, they simply can't offer interviews - just like the local Oxfam shop doesn't open if the volunteer workers are ill.

Yes, it's a disgrace - but complaints to your local MP / local council / Downing St.