House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fully Detached

What's The Best Way To Sound Proof A Door?

The place we're renting is adjoined to our landlord's house, and my office has a locked internal door which leads through to their hallway.

Now we're lucky in that the landlord is a great bloke in almost every respect, with one minor failing:

He's an Elvis fan.

And partially deaf.

And retired.

Which means that I'm spending large parts of my working day being assaulted with music that becomes rather grating after the first three hours.

I don't want to ruin his enjoyment of his music, but I would like to reduce it to a level that is a little more tolerable. Yes, I know I could go around and ask him, but I know what it's like to have to listen to your favourite sounds at a lower volume than you would like to - the volume has a habit of creeping back up, especially after a drink or two. Besides, the soundproofing works two ways - I'd like to think that my phone conversations can't be overheard either.

Does anyone have any neat and tidy solutions for soundproofing a door? Preferably nothing that involves chicken feathers or 300 egg cartons.

Ta!

Many university halls employ the two doors in one frame trick. Seems to work reaonably well. If only more hotels would use it. :(

Well I was thinking something similar, but using some sort of loft insulation material, cut to size and stuck on with gaffer tape. A curtain to cover the mess, and job's a good 'un. The problem is I have no idea what material to use.

:lol:

I'd love to but he believes internet use is illegal for anyone over the age of 40.

DIY Doctor (link to site) has a bit about soundproofing materials.

It looks like the loft insulation option would tie in with their suggestions. They also have a membrane on there that's easy to cut etc. it's 2mm thick, and looks like it would be a quick job.

For ease of use, I would have suggested the polystyrene insulating sheets that you can get to put up in the loft - it's rigid, so easy to work with and comes in range of thicknesses - although I wonder if you actually need something soft to absorb the noise in?

The site I linked to says that conventional loft insulation isn't as dense as soundproofing insulation...

The place we're renting is adjoined to our landlord's house, and my office has a locked internal door which leads through to their hallway.

Now we're lucky in that the landlord is a great bloke in almost every respect, with one minor failing:

He's an Elvis fan.

And partially deaf.

And retired.

Which means that I'm spending large parts of my working day being assaulted with music that becomes rather grating after the first three hours.

I don't want to ruin his enjoyment of his music, but I would like to reduce it to a level that is a little more tolerable. Yes, I know I could go around and ask him, but I know what it's like to have to listen to your favourite sounds at a lower volume than you would like to - the volume has a habit of creeping back up, especially after a drink or two. Besides, the soundproofing works two ways - I'd like to think that my phone conversations can't be overheard either.

Does anyone have any neat and tidy solutions for soundproofing a door? Preferably nothing that involves chicken feathers or 300 egg cartons.

Ta!

Soundproof Rockwool and a thick curtain.

DIY Doctor (link to site) has a bit about soundproofing materials.

It looks like the loft insulation option would tie in with their suggestions. They also have a membrane on there that's easy to cut etc. it's 2mm thick, and looks like it would be a quick job.

For ease of use, I would have suggested the polystyrene insulating sheets that you can get to put up in the loft - it's rigid, so easy to work with and comes in range of thicknesses - although I wonder if you actually need something soft to absorb the noise in?

The site I linked to says that conventional loft insulation isn't as dense as soundproofing insulation...

Soundproof Rockwool and a thick curtain.

Excellent suggestions guys, many thanks - and for the link, WaS.

The King might indeed be dead, following a quick trip to B&Q...

Get some soundproofing mats out of a car (they will be under the carpet, try a scrap yard). Could probably get enough to cover a door from a scrap yard for a fiver. If youve ever removed the mats from a working car, youll know how effective they are.

Designed to drown out road noise from the driver. Very heavy, but very good at what they do.

Attach them to the door, then put a curtain over the door to make it look sightly.

Make him up a music tape featuring

I Hear You Knockin'; Don't Be Cruel; The Sound of Silence and Thank U Very Much

and hope he gets the point...

Guest X-QUORK

Smash through the door dressed as Elvis, grab him by the throat and tell him that "Elvis has entered the building Mother f**ker!"

Then ask him to turn it down a bit and promise to repair the damage before awkwardly returning to your place.

He's an Elvis fan.

And partially deaf.

And retired.

Could be worse old chap.

I'm a Wagner fan.

And I have four box sets of complete performances of the Ring cycle.

And the amplifiers and speakers in my home entertainment system were removed from an 800-seat cinema after it closed down, meaning that should I wish to earn myself an ASBO, this could be achieved with a simple twist of the volume control.

Smash through the door dressed as Elvis, grab him by the throat and tell him that "Elvis has entered the building Mother f**ker!"

How about smashing through the door dressed as Brünnhilde, with a jerrycan and a box of matches, singing 'Starke Scheite, schichtet mit dort am Rande des Rheins zhhauf'.

It's got a tad more class, don't you think?

Then ask him to turn it down a bit and promise to repair the damage before awkwardly returning to your place.

:lol:

You win, sir. Hands down. Unadulterated genius.

Are you sure the sound is only coming through the door? It's likely to be coming through the wall too, as well as the ceiling and floor joists...

Forget egg cartons, membranes, and rockwool on the door. They will be ineffective and make your door look terrible. The only way to achieve a decent amount of attenuation through a single door is to make it both airtight and very heavy, which is expensive. You might get somewhere cheaply by fitting tight rubber seals around the edges and the floor, but make sure you don't inadvertently cut off your only source of ventilation.

That would be bad.