House Price Crash Forum

I T N: Deflation Is Back In The U K

HOLA441
they dont give a toss about you.

the deflation they fear is the fall in banking assets and a fall in lending....this reduces M4...and could be viewed as a credit crunch.

to counter, they print.

now all they need do is get the banking assets to be worth something, and then withdraw the printed notes. simples.

everything else is currency fluctuations, and markets moving as they always do.

Word.

HOLA442
Have you noticed how own brand alternatives which used to be half the price of major brand items are now only a few p cheaper. Supermarkets really take the p*ss dont they.

Its funny I went there once to see what it was like. None of the stuff seemed that much cheaper and it was full of chavs in tracksuits. Didnt go back again.

Lidls Champagne ROCKS !

I mainly buy booze there, ahem. (also Bratwurst)

HOLA443
Lidls Champagne ROCKS !

I mainly buy booze there, ahem. (also Bratwurst)

That really caught my eye

Champagne is generally bought to impress friends and celebrate a special occasion so the label counts for a lot even if the stuff inside is as good as the famous brands.

I can understand buying beer to drink alone or spirits where no one gets to see the label but the champagne bottle sits there for everyone to see.

Do you buy it as a talking point and then move onto HPC and economics or do you actually drink champagne alone or perhaps soak the label off and stick on a M & C one?

HOLA444
I think of inflation/deflation in terms of travelling in a car

So in this context 'deflation' isn't sticking the car in reverse and driving back to where we were some time ago (which is what I would call deflation), but just the car slowing down but still travelling further along at the same time. It still inflation though, just as the car is still going forward along the price highway.

Exactly. It's a misunderstanding of first derivatives. A reduction/increase in the rate of change of x is not the same as a reduction/increase of x.

In the last month I've seen this basic maths error here and in the press on three occasions - a reduction in the annual rate of house price decreases touted as house prices no longer going down, a reduction in the rate of new properties becoming available for rental described yesterday as a contraction of the rental market, and now a reduction in food price inflation as food price deflation.

HOLA445
I simply don't get this deflation ********.

Maybe in MangleWorld, things are different from everywhere else, but the things I want, and the things I need are going up in price relentlessly.

For example, I bought something for £525 last spring, the same item, in the same shop is now £799. Lucky timing.

My food bill isn't decreasing, my fuel isn't either.

OK, so my rent went down a bit :rolleyes:

This example doesn't tell you anything.

YOu should be comparing the price you bought the "item" for with the current best price available in the shop or on the internet using price comparison sites, voucher codes and also if available cashback.

Every purchase I can think of recently has had a hefty discount on it.

The rent I am able to charge on my flat has gone up a meagre 3% this year so there is some inflation there but rental of high quality properties is an essential not a luxury.

HOLA446
The rent I am able to charge on my flat has gone up a meagre 3% this year so there is some inflation there but rental of high quality properties is an essential not a luxury.

You will get what the market can afford or is willing to pay, not just the individual, their employer dictates that too.

If cloth has to be cut, then you start with your biggest outgoings, same for business too which I suspect will crank up their shift of production and services abroad away from overpriced high quality essential rentals.

HOLA447

YOu should be comparing the price you bought the "item" for with the current best price available in the shop or on the internet using price comparison sites, voucher codes and also if available cashback.

including food and fuel? because if the answer is yes, then can you please tell me where you purchase said items

HOLA448
it's funny but some people have a snooty attitude when it comes to the likes of lidl or aldi; more for me I say

Talking to someone the othjer day and they say they shop at Aldi/Lidl for the same reason they like BMW/Auidi/Mercedes and still shoot with Leicas despite their enormous cost compared with Asian brands: prestige. Anything German is perceived as being better quality than products or services from other countries.

Funny old world. :blink:

HOLA449
But the BRC added a note of caution over shop price deflation, as it warned prolonged deflation can harm the overall economy as consumers may choose to hold off purchases if they believe prices will fall further.

I keep seeing this joke shop analysis being spread around. One look at the PC market proves this is utter crap. Everyone knows that the computer they buy today would cost less in six months- but they want it today, not six months time.

I'm begining to suspect this delayed purchase myth was invented to sell the idea that deflation is a bad thing.

HOLA4410

Yes it does tell me a lot.

The item only comes from one importer in the UK, and all places will price match and buy it to order directly from same importer. A different brand will come from another single importer. So you don't know what you're talking about.

Also, everything else I buy within the same field (a hobby) has seen similar price rises.

So doubly, you are talking shite.

It is entirely relevant as it shows the effects of the pound devaluation.

HOLA4411
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20090909/tuk-de...ts-dba1618.html

The drop in price tags is being driven by "huge" falls in food price inflation, according to the BRC.

Today's figures showed food inflation eased for the fifth month in a row, to 2.3 per cent, as the recession continues to bear down on prices and demand.

Some say yes, some say no. One lie begets another and another. Is there a deliberate campaign of dis-information going on? Are the VIs and government trying to talk us into believeing the biggest crash in world history is over in the chortest period that a recession has ever taken to come to an end?

Checked about 50% of my purchases from Amazon =<£30.00 since last December.

They have ALL gone up in price 15-35%!

That's 'deflation' for you!

Amazon are expanding during this period!

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
The fact that you shop in Lidl (like I do) shows why there is apparent food deflation. I was listening to the CEO of Northern Foods on the radio and he confirmed that people were trading down.

The logic of this is that if inflation got so high that people could no longer buy food from shops and survived on rats and mouldy food out of skips, the MSM would report it as deflation. :lol:

I'd bloody love access to Waitrose's bins, but the buggers lock them up at night. :angry: