House Price Crash Forum
Tonkers

Mad Job Description

Duties Skills

 Researching web trends & websites Confident with the Internet

 Learn who’s who in the digital world Knows how to design websites

 Answering all incoming calls Has thorough understanding of Flash Media

 Write Press Releases Proficient with the Microsoft Office package

 Mailouts (occasionally) ASP.net web development with C#.

 Scanning cuttings & preparing final press packs JavaScript, HTML, XHTML, CSS, XML, XSLT.

 Contributing to weekly campaign reports Microsoft SQL Server development/database design.

 Contributing to creative album brainstorms Microsoft Content Management Server (MCMS) skills

So they want a receptionist/PR/programmer/office monkey? For 14K?

Duties Skills

 Scanning cuttings & preparing final press packs JavaScript, HTML, XHTML, CSS, XML, XSLT.

 Contributing to weekly campaign reports Microsoft SQL Server development/database design.

 Contributing to creative album brainstorms Microsoft Content Management Server (MCMS) skills

Sounds fair, you pay peanuts, you get monkeys!!

Duties Skills

That's incredible. Got a link?

I dare say there may be someone desperate enough to apply for it but it looks to me like they want to pay one person a pittance to do the job of 4 or 5 very different people and roles.

Jokers.

That's incredible. Got a link?

I dare say there may be someone desperate enough to apply for it but it looks to me like they want to pay one person a pittance to do the job of 4 or 5 very different people and roles.

Jokers.

It is a fairly big PR co who try to shift crap R'n'B records. I forgot to add the job title: 'Digital Marketing Executive'

I am thinking of applying just to get in there and ask them if they are insane.

Maybe you're misreading it and it's supposed to be a script:

Answering all incoming calls, "Has thorough understanding of Flash Media?"

"No I'm sorry I can't put you through unless you can answer these questions about Flash Media."

that'll be from the Agency that required 10 years of extensive server 2008 experience.

Best line:

Mailouts (occasionally) ASP.net web development with C#.

"no i'm sorry I can't build that web app at the minute Im too busy licking stamps" :blink:

Doesn't surprise me. I am looking for technical jobs and the number of times I see the demand for several years experience (which would have required a Ph.D. to be held), yet offering money no less than a graduate scheme - well it is beyond a joke. The biggest laugh of all is that I see these same jobs, week after week, month after month. Then the industry has the nerve to talk to the press and say that it has a skills shortage! Argh!

Best line:

"no i'm sorry I can't build that web app at the minute Im too busy licking stamps" :blink:

That's just about right actually! The monkey that'll do all that for 14k would just about be seen to be licking the already self-adhesive stamps

Doesn't surprise me. I am looking for technical jobs and the number of times I see the demand for several years experience (which would have required a Ph.D. to be held), yet offering money no less than a graduate scheme - well it is beyond a joke. The biggest laugh of all is that I see these same jobs, week after week, month after month. Then the industry has the nerve to talk to the press and say that it has a skills shortage! Argh!

There are so many employment agencies 'advising' candidates on do's and don'ts of applying for jobs, I really thought that after six months of looking and eventually finding something, a "List of Golden Rules of Recruiting for Employers" was needed. And here it is.

Any comments?

1. As unnerving as it may seem, your company HR department is also a PR department for your organization. Both departments deal with the public and consequently the public’s opinions of your company are shaped by their interactions with these departments.

2. If you can’t give good and constructive feedback, dont give any feedback (and take the consequences - see 1)

3. If you can’t fill a position within 6 months, you need to change your search criteria for the position. If you can’t fill a position within 12 months, you need to change your HR people.

4. Understand conditional probability before deciding on criteria for filling a position. If there is a 1 in 10 chance of finding someone with 5 years experience in the field and a 1 in 10 chance of finding a French speaker, you are looking at a 1 in 100 hit rate for a French speaker with the necessary experience (not 1 in 20 as was actually supposed by one recruiter I spoke to).

5. If a candidate asks “Please remove my CV from your databaseâ€, you are obliged to do so. Regardless of what your company internal policy says. The Data Protection Act is more powerful than your HR boss.

6. If you don’t pay a candidate travel expenses, don’t question their motive for applying or attending. Remember they’ve paid to be here too (see 1).

7. Don’t call a candidate’s references and grill them as part of the selction process. It is disrespectful and wasteful of the references’ time and a breach of the trust the candidate has placed in you by giving references in advance. Naturally, following up on the references after selecting someone is a very good idea.

8. If you are looking to hire smart people, make sure the interviewer is pretty smart too. It’s not just you interviewing the candidate for suitability.

9. Know the market for the skillsets you’re looking to hire for. If you misjudge it you’ll need to go back to number 3 again.

10. If you don’t have a clear idea of the kind of person you need to fill the position, you’re not ready to interview anyone. You’ll just end up making your organization look inept and disorganized if you don’t know what you want (go back to number 1).

Edited by Sir Sidney Ruff-Diamond

"List of Golden Rules of Recruiting for Employers"

Spot on - I'd sack the above PR co if I had an account with them.

Reminds of a time when I left a job (handling major label clients) and they re-advertised it looking for a school leaver type. Of course the big accounts got handed to someone experienced but that is not what it looked like. One of my clients was horrified, almost pulled out without reassurance. Damage.

There are so many employment agencies 'advising' candidates on do's and don'ts of applying for jobs, I really thought that after six months of looking and eventually finding something, a "List of Golden Rules of Recruiting for Employers" was needed. And here it is.

Any comments?

Nice! Can I use it? With or without any changes that might occur to me when I think about it?

ROFL - nice find.

IT recruitment ads are always silly, agencies have no clue and just end up listing a whole load of technologies that almost no one will have a complete knowledge of. Yeah, we want a CSS, photoshop, design expert with .net skills who can build a data warehouse using both Oracle and MS solutions, wire up a router, and stand on their head.

Good luck with that!

Edited by Orbital

"List of Golden Rules of Recruiting for Employers" was needed. And here it is.

Any comments?

8. If you are looking to hire smart people, make sure the interviewer is pretty smart too. It’s not just you interviewing the candidate for suitability.

Yes. I especially agree with number 8.

Duties Skills

 Write Press Releases Proficient with the Microsoft Office package Mailouts (occasionally) ASP.net web development with C#.

Excellent.

They want to pay someone 14k to write stuff to release to the wolves. The local journos will be licking their lips and checking when the boss is on holiday.....

Looks like they mixed up two jobs by accident. I mean, looking for somebody with those technical skills who is also able to write press releases. :blink:

The stuff below would be more typical of somebody looking for a new grad with English language/communication degree hoping to start a career in PR.

Duties Skills

 Learn who’s who in the digital world

 Answering all incoming calls

 Mailouts (occasionally)

 Scanning cuttings & preparing final press packs

 Contributing to weekly campaign reports

 Contributing to creative album brainstorms

£14k is on the low side but by no means unusual. My daughter had a job like that for a short while. ( She chucked them in after less than a year and got a job with a proper PR agency. )

Such businesses are run by the people who believe in scrapping the minimum wage. They never realise that putting the ability to pay less ahead of good product, good management or good customer care is doomed to failure.

I mean, what kind of company says " the only reason to buy from us is that we pay the lowest possible wage, and care not whether our low quality employees have any loyalty to the company or our customers" ?

A friend of mine went for such a job at Dyfed Powys Police many years ago - got to the interview and when they mentioned the salary he added a nought on the end and said something like "Ah, 15K a year - I thought you meant 150K!" and walked out.

I hate it when employers talk about skills shortage. Before the GFC a boat builder was crying that Australian workers were lazy and he couldn't find anyone to fill positions he had advertised even though he was offering $50 a week over the award wage.

I had a couple of problems with the report (1) Had this manager planned ahead and trained any apprentices? and (2) $50 above the award was $300 below what his competitors were paying :lol:

Yup - start new career as a HR business consultant! Some very sensible suggestions that are simply not followed, most of the time!

Being Right where the world is wrong doesn't mean anyone will pay you.

Looks like they mixed up two jobs by accident. I mean, looking for somebody with those technical skills who is also able to write press releases. :blink:

The stuff below would be more typical of somebody looking for a new grad with English language/communication degree hoping to start a career in PR.

£14k is on the low side but by no means unusual. My daughter had a job like that for a short while. ( She chucked them in after less than a year and got a job with a proper PR agency. )

Such businesses are run by the people who believe in scrapping the minimum wage. They never realise that putting the ability to pay less ahead of good product, good management or good customer care is doomed to failure.

I mean, what kind of company says " the only reason to buy from us is that we pay the lowest possible wage, and care not whether our low quality employees have any loyalty to the company or our customers" ?

Mrs Neverland works in the media sector and the starting salaries seem to be pretty abysmal, as low as £12k

They seem to ger plenty of 22 year olds with degrees who will take them though

Not sure they will find people who will work for £14k with the technical skills they are looking for though unless its outside London

Mrs Neverland works in the media sector and the starting salaries seem to be pretty abysmal, as low as £12k

They seem to ger plenty of 22 year olds with degrees who will take them though

Not sure they will find people who will work for £14k with the technical skills they are looking for though unless its outside London

Why would they work for this amount outside of London either? :ph34r: