House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

What's The News With Annie Leibovitz

Sounds like a classic 'millionaire next door' cautionary tale. In order to get/maintain the 'celebrity' title, she had to live beyond her means to emulate/network with her clients; so although a high earner, she was a net loser.

I've seen her pictures of HMQ and they are excellent - but I'm pretty sure there are a lot of good photographers who could have done the same, they just didn't have the 'celebrity' contacts.

LOL what a silly and greedy cow! I have zero sympathy just another fool easily parted from someone elses money.

There are thousands of photographers who could easily snap just as well as this one.

I believe that every year UK uniiversities churn out enough photography grads to meet the entire annual demand for Europe.

Over rated profession.

Maybe she could get a job at one of those venture rip off shops.

shes played the system, had a good life.

she can take more snaps the day they possess her current lot.

shes played the system, had a good life.

she can take more snaps the day they possess her current lot.

Not as I understand it - she has mortgaged all her properties, her past and FUTURE portfolio to the lender - and has also appointed them the exclusive agents for sale of both properties and portfolio.... - if what I understand is actually the case, the woman's a vey badly advised (or was desperate) idiot.

Guest sillybear2
Jesus, that's one ugly woman.....

Worse, a greedy ugly woman.

I fail to see how she got herself into that position after such a career, obviously the consequences of a low multi-millionaire hanging around with billionaires during a boom.

Not as I understand it - she has mortgaged all her properties, her past and FUTURE portfolio to the lender - and has also appointed them the exclusive agents for sale of both properties and portfolio.... - if what I understand is actually the case, the woman's a vey badly advised (or was desperate) idiot.

silly posh cow.

The Yahoo! News article puts a different spin on this, giving the impression that she is well in the black:

Art Capital has estimated the value of the Leibovitz portfolio at $40 million, and real estate brokers say her New York properties are worth about $40 million.

Guest sillybear2

Interesting that she would rather give up the rights to her 'art' than her real estate.

Looks like they're still negotiating, evn though the deadline has pssed:

Top US photographer Annie Leibovitz and her creditors were still talking Wednesday even though a deadline to repay a 24-million-dollar loan had expired, a report said. Leibovitz pledged her famed photo catalogue and string of pricey properties as collateral for the loan from Art Capital, which issues short-term credits to owners of art and other luxuries.

Leibovitz's representative said she was working for a settlement. The lender, Art Capital Group, said, "Our preference is for this to be resolved."

If it isn't, Leibovitz, 59, could lose the copyright to the entire catalogue of photographs she's taken over her 40-year career, including shots of Whoopi Goldberg, Sting and Michael Jackson.

And she and her three young children also could lose their homes – a large townhouse (actually three historically designated brownstones knocked into one) in New York's West Greenwich Village and a sprawling 92-hectare compound in upstate New York.

Just madness. Wasn't there a famous female photographer who lost everything in the 1929 crash because she borrowed money to play the market and kept on borrowing? Alice Austen?

Yep - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_Austen

The Yahoo! News article puts a different spin on this, giving the impression that she is well in the black:

You're right - I'd forgotten the bit where she refused to let the bank into value its collateral in breach of the terms of the agreement - and an event of default..... - TBH, I have a lot of sympathy with the bank here - they gave her a document, it will have been looked at and explained to her - and this photographer has just decided which bits of it apply to her and which don't - which HAS really pissed off the bank - and at the time, of course they needed to work out the values - in the middle of a massive US crash in prices, they will have had to, for their own internal audit if nothing else.

The result of the event of default will be that the properties and the portfolio cannot be disposed of except through the lender -which will take a 10% commission. This woman is trying to use public embarrassment to gain leverage over the bank - to embarrass them into giving her a better deal than she signed up to (in my opinion). I hope she loses - very heavily.

OMG no points for guessing why she decided she was better off BEHIND the camera

I don't fancy her but she's no horror show. Normal looking older woman.

Turns out she IS an idiot.

Yes she is. As are most people in the celeb / showbiz / glamour industry.

The standard course for successful footballers in the 70s was to invest their money in restaurants which then folded so they ended up running a pub. Now they're blowing it all on pwoperdee in Dubai.

Annie Leibovitz is forced to cut the price of her $33m New York home after it fails to find a buyer - so will it sell at a $4m discount?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2314149/Annie-Leibovitz-forced-cut-price-33m-New-York-home-fails-buyer--sell-4m-discount.html#ixzz2RP3EJHEt

Compared to luxury London houses that seems cheap!

I cant help thinking she looks like Bill Gates with long hair!

leibovitz1-7b7e5e97a6fa7309bea9c41b2e696ebf49544db3-s6-c10.jpg

nah, its charlie the tramp.(returns)