House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cashinmattress

Making Noodles By Hand

Making noodles by hand

It's completely amazing to watch this professional in action. I never realized myself that the wheat molecules within the dough actually can be 'shocked' into long chains.

I do make my own pizza dough, sometimes pierogi and ravioli when I feel up for a challenge.

I can just imagine how impressed my mates would be if I could 'pull' off the noodles like in the video, but it probably takes years, if not decades to perfect first the dough recipe and the technique for making them.

Making noodles by hand

It's completely amazing to watch this professional in action. I never realized myself that the wheat molecules within the dough actually can be 'shocked' into long chains.

I do make my own pizza dough, sometimes pierogi and ravioli when I feel up for a challenge.

I can just imagine how impressed my mates would be if I could 'pull' off the noodles like in the video, but it probably takes years, if not decades to perfect first the dough recipe and the technique for making them.

Very very cool. I think I last saw that being done on TV in the late 1970s, but at aged 6 I couldn't appreciate the technique.That said it must have rubbed off as I do make my own pasta and noddles using a pasta maker.

I am now inspired to try the traditional technique. The interesting thing is the type of flour used, his dough looked more stretchy than mine usually is and I do wonder if there was some rice flour in there. I normally just used eggs and plain white wheat flour.

I remember stand outside a noodle house in Ginza in Tokyo with a noodle chef doing this in the window - absolutely hypnotic.

The narrator in the video is talking ******** about the noodles being preformed and tightly wound before the flour though. There is a single length of dough, then he coats it with flour so that when he folds it it won't stick to itself, then eight folds later and you have 256 separate strands.

How long would it take any of us to learn how to do this? 6 months? 1 year? 5 years?

The fact is, with enough practice, we could learn this.

Nothing special at all whatsoever and just a minimal amount of talent.

What IS special though is being able to write your own concerto or even improvise (i.e. play jazz) without formal tuition.

You can try for 10 or 20 years to do that and you never EVER will if you don't have talent.

That's the difference between practice and natural talent.

(and I say this as someone who had 10+ years private piano tuition, got to grade 7, but has no talent in music).

Get a grip people - the video is interesting, but we could all easily learn this.

(symptomatic of what's wrong with the world today that people stare in awe at things like this that they can easily learn to do themselves).

:angry: :angry:

I think that a certain level of natural talent comes into play in even making noodles!

Yes, we could all learn how to make noodles in this way (in the same way that you learnt to play the piano) but to do it well, to create even threads of the dough, with none of them breaking or splitting in the process, takes flair and some abilities that not everyone has - which is why, when we see anyone doing something well, it should be celebrated, and admired. The guy in the clip is probably a Mozart of the noodle world!

We all have differing talents - yes, we could all learn to programme computers, or do statistics, anyone can learn to draw or paint or take a photo - we can have the skills taught to us, but to apply those skills in a pleasing way, with pleasing results is a thing of wonder - whether it's a great computer program, some fab graphs that are easy to read, or a beautiful painting or a nicely composed photo - it all takes skill.

Just because we've been on a course, and are able to carry out a task that we've learnt, doesn't always make us good at it (sadly!)

Edit: Case in point,

you are implying that people would want to spend at least a year learning just how to make noodles

why would they , unless they were to open or work in an oriental style restaurant?

Making noodles by hand

Looks amazing, I'm going to try this now and see how it goes.

This is a practical website http://www.lukerymarz.com/noodles/index.html