House Price Crash Forum

Fake Pound Coins

Yoss

HOLA441

This maybe localised to my area, but about 20% of the change I receive in £ coins, includes a fake pound coin, many of them really bad fakes at that.

Favourite in my local area seems to be the pound coins depicting bridges....These coins have no writing on the sides, just a criss cross pattern (Usually badly off centre).

Shop keepers get the hump when I refuse to take them. But after comparing them to the real deal even they admit..They are clearly FAKE.

HOLA442
HOLA443
Why would you waste your time forging British Pesos not worth the cost of the cupro nickel that it will take to make them.

So scrap value of coins worth more than their (very bad) production fake value, so why fake them? Why so many?

HOLA444
HOLA445
One man alone made 20 million of them for a few pence each, he's doing jail time now..

There is a lot of fakes about.

I used to be in the vending machine trade and Pound coins were an obvious problem waiting to happen. They are the same diameter as a standard size of brass rod you can buy (5/8", from memory) so it's a piece of p1ss to just start chopping them off this easily acquirable rod. They don't work in modern electronic validators because the metal content is wrong but they will still work in lots of mechanical machines and ones which simply pass a current through the coin.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I was at a motorway service station recently, I forget which one exactly, Midlands M1, buying a coffee from one of the generic coffee shops.

The Polish gentleman in front of me, asked the Polish gentleman working in the kiosk to change some pound coins he had for notes, he swopped, I presume 40 coins for 2 £20 notes.

The coins were fakes, and not even very good ones, as you could see the slight colour difference at a distance.

He noticed that I had spotted dubious nature of the transaction, and he shrugged his shoulders, And?

I shrugged back; And nothing, really, what was I going to do? What did I care?

And it struck me that it seemed like the perfect place to distributed fake pound coins, it’s not like you're going to go back to a motorway service station for the sake of a fake quid.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Ahh, is that why when you use a tcket or vending machine there's always that one pound coin that just never takes?

No, it's because the mint aren't clever enough to actually make coins within a reasonable tolerance. This is another problem we had in the vending trade. Have you ever looked at a selection of coins? Back when the new 10P came out we identified at least three or four different "types" of them by sight alone. If you measure them you can separate them into even more types, and this is before you start considering their metallurgy. The most obvious difference is that some of them have chamfered edges while others do not. This causes problems as different coins roll differently and it was a right pain in some types of machine which required the coins to be stacked on edge to a certain height. They would jam together all the time.

HOLA4414

Archived