House Price Crash Forum

Local Authorities

HOLA441

Are local authorities holding up the housing market?

I have heard from someone, that local authorities are borrowing lots of money at low rates of interest, to buy up houses. As they have lots of less fortunates to house, they can buy a house knowing that they will be able to obtain a taxpayer paid rent for every person that they house.

So there it is. If you are a hard working taxpayer, the reason you cant buy a house is that your tax is being used to price you out of a home.

HOLA442

I have heard from someone, that local authorities are borrowing lots of money at low rates of interest, to buy up houses. As they have lots of less fortunates to house, they can buy a house knowing that they will be able to obtain a taxpayer paid rent for every person that they house.

So there it is. If you are a hard working taxpayer, the reason you cant buy a house is that your tax is being used to price you out of a home.

possibly. I'd rather they bought at current prices than in 2006, if they have to at all.

HOLA443
possibly. I'd rather they bought at current prices than in 2006, if they have to at all.

Westminster is doing this - buying back homes they sold 15-20 years ago under right to buy at ten times the price to house homeless families who under the law 'have the right to live in Westminster'. :lol: And we know housing in Westminster doesn't come cheap!

HOLA444

I've heard that if your tooth falls out and you put it under the pillow Injin sneaks in at night and punches you on the nose for believing in fairy stories.

HOLA445

Housing Benefit and Local House Allowance are at least partly funded by the local council through council tax.

We will soon hit a point where in some areas so little council tax is collected (due to people being exampt due to unemployment) that the council will have insufficient funds to pay out it's pension liabilities AND Housing Benefit.

HOLA446

I dont think its anything new, it should be priced in. A fair few of those 'developers' in Homes under the Hammer were Housing Association types, probably sponsored in the initial payment by taxes, even indirectly, and definetly sponsored directly by taxes for income/mortgage payments.

Immoral use of taxes, but like most other so called private sector (read tax sponsored) businesses like Health and Safety, Equality BS, and enviroMENTALism lobbying its just the status quo now. Politicians set up these companies to be the first on the scene, then change laws and funding allocations to suit.