House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

loginandtonic

Spyware Doctor Program Finds Malware Etc When The Freeware

post-20211-1252401833_thumb.jpg

PC Tools - the free version of Spyware Doctor will scan but not remove anything it finds.

Last night i ran spybot search & destroy plus superantispyware. Neither found anything but tracking cookies.

Yet again today, Spyware Doc finds Graybird and what have you...

But of course you cant get Graybird removed by Spyware Doc unless you buy the licence (£20 + or via Trialpay.com special offer)

Vote now !

- - because i am rather confused about which prog is telling the truth !

(I do have Xprotector entries in my registry btw, but a hidden or showing file search in Explorer has no "gray" or "malware" or "sp00lsv" named files except Michael Gray's song ! I can't wait 'til the weelend...)

EDIT to add today's screen dump of Spyware Doc results

and because the poll didn't include the Right option as i cant get the hang of this and put it in the title field oops

What's happening to off-topic? This is the 3rd dull IT thread in the top 10.

its dull if it doesnt affect you but it could do later and no one wants to be a dummy who spends needlessly for software they dont need, so pls tolerate just this one more thread to clarify this as it could be prime bs or something we all need to know about freeware software v paid software

I do not know about this particular program you are referring to but...

I have seen numerous pay AV clients allow you to download a free version which, upon concluding a free scan, tells you that your PC is full of all sorts of nasties which, of course, you then have to buy the full version to get rid of the viruses.

I have seen this numerous times on PCs which are not infected, which are covered by numerous other AV clients and which sometimes are brand spanking new. In other words, IMPO some of the AV free products report 'false positives' and my suspicion is that they do so in order to get you to buy their full product.

Ok...since you asked nicely. ;)

:)

But doesn't replying bump it to the top again? ;)

a happy accident

I have seen numerous pay AV clients allow you to download a free version which, upon concluding a free scan, tells you that your PC is full of all sorts of nasties which, of course, you then have to buy the full version to get rid of the viruses.

I have seen this numerous times on PCs which are not infected, which are covered by numerous other AV clients and which sometimes are brand spanking new. In other words, IMPO some of the AV free products report 'false positives' and my suspicion is that they do so in order to get you to buy their full product.

ok, appreciate that, i really want to get to the bottom of this riddle - either pct's sd is fantastic and finds what others miss - or...

I know a brilliant little anecdote along similar lines, just before 2000 with the millennium bug (which was a real problem despite what people think, although tales of planes falling out of the sky were far fetched) my friend used to work for a company which sold software for PC's which checked for the bug. The millennium bug didn't effect a standard desktop PC, it was mainly with COBOL systems which used 6 digit date representations, anyway, this company basically had 2 CD's with a program which just displayed a progress bar and some flashing lights, on completion if you had CD 1 it said there was nothing to worry about and if you had CD 2 it said you had the bug and contact the CD provider, when you did so they sold you another disk which fixed the issues and rescanned. The second disk was of course just the first one with another program at the start to make it look like it was fixing something.

ignore it , use free stuff

its just trying to get you to pay

i ran spybot again this morning while i was out buying some old furniture and struggling up and down the stairs with it... anyway all spybot found were the usual tracking things like mediaplex, hitbox, webtrends etc. No graybird, graypigeon, saltandpepperbird, gamebird, irc.bot, nicebot, nuffin' guvnor. superantispyware found just the usual too when it ran overnight.

I know a brilliant little anecdote along similar lines, just before 2000 with the millennium bug (which was a real problem despite what people think, although tales of planes falling out of the sky were far fetched) my friend used to work for a company which sold software for PC's which checked for the bug. The millennium bug didn't effect a standard desktop PC, it was mainly with COBOL systems which used 6 digit date representations, anyway, this company basically had 2 CD's with a program which just displayed a progress bar and some flashing lights, on completion if you had CD 1 it said there was nothing to worry about and if you had CD 2 it said you had the bug and contact the CD provider, when you did so they sold you another disk which fixed the issues and rescanned. The second disk was of course just the first one with another program at the start to make it look like it was fixing something.

well if find it hard to believe a firm like pct would be so stupid, because surely they'd be rumbled if they did this to people?

i will come back to this thread once i have any more info so that those of us who take this kind of thing seriously can get to the bottom of it, if free software is ineffective we need to know. if paid software is mistaken or making it up then we also need to know.

just to let anyone else know...

google starter pack has a starter edition available free which might have additional functionality to the usual free edition

or you can apparently get a functional edition via a trialpay.com special offer such as taking e-music or lovefilm on a trial basis (check terms!) and then you get the licence code from trialpay or whomever in return for taking the special offer - however so far i am waiting and waiting and no code

i have been advised users can verify if some anti virus etc software is genuine by referring to this directory http://www.ccssforum.org/trusted-vendors.php

well i am still waiting for my confirmation and licence key code from trialpay to unlock SD - it was supposed to be instantly confirmed once i did the offer via trialpay. no such luck.

Spyware Doctor is the Dogs Nuts. I trust it completely over any free software. I use it on my Windows machines and have done for three years now. I used to use Zone Alarm until Mossad bought the company. They claim there is no interference in any way but - it's Mossad - what more can I say? Ditch the free stuff and use Spyware Dr with confidence.

i didnt know that about zone alarm, are you sure??! sounds like one of those you couldn't make it up stories!

i am waiting for my licence key from trialpay, supposed to be instant...still waiting,,,and waiting...and waiting,,,

anyone else find themselves in this situation, use google starter edition and tell trialpay to go F themselves, their service is far from satisfactory.

i cant be bothered to check it tonight, but this is supposed to be a 3 months free working spyware doctor link: http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor-antivirus/netcomm/ let me know if its genuine or another fairy story

Thanks Chav (i've always wanted to say that !)

trialpay sent me the licence, it took 12 hours to arrive.

but see my earlier post for the apparent 90 days free licence link so you can circumvent buying something on trialpay altogether

i am going to conclude that spyware doctor has found spyware that other programs have missed, but because there is a small chance i'm wrong i suggest people use the 90 days free trial i posted the link for, and during the 90 days if the prog finds spyware that the others missed, get it analysed and decide whether the prog is genuinely better and if so buy a sub for a year or use trialpay to get a 1 year "free". i seriously recommend everyone checks their spyware etc with sd - just in case

Just use spybot, best free anti-spyware around, won't slow down your computer or throw up tons of false positives or spam you with adverts to "UPGRADE NOW OR SPYWARE WILL DESTROY YOUR PC!!!!": http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Job done. Also locks down your registry so nothing can get in without your permission and allows you to control everything that loads on startup (advanced tools> startup)

Quit worrying so much, it's pretty hard to pick up spyware online unless you do downright retarded things.

Source #1 is being retarded enough to click on weird email attachments.

Source #2 is being retarded enough to let websites install software.

Source #3 is being retarded enough to download illegal software that hasn't been released by a warez group with a good reputation.

I've been running no anti-virus for years with no problems.

Gil Shwed, the Founder of Checkpoint cut his teeth whilst working on secure networks and data transmission links for the IDF (Israeli Defence Force): and rather like the IRA, Israel's military and Security Service (Shin Bet) and Intel arm, Mossad tend to enjoy the maxim, "Once in: never out!"

Personally, we use Sophos Enterprise Edition, an all-in-one AV, ASW and Firewall solution which is the World leader.

I also use SuperAntiSpyware, (Free Edition) http://www.superantispyware.com/

which is superior to both SpyBot and Lava's Adaware.

In any case, Sophos includes Real Time Protection (As does SuperAntiSpyWare).

One of the core problems here, again, is scanning progs which try and frighten the user rigid by throwing up a host of "Malware" reports which are false: and being employed simply to galvanise the user to pay out!

Pandasoft is an excellent example: run their "Free" online scan and no matter what level protection you are running, the scan will show zillions of "Problems"!

Same as Registry Cleaners;

If it aint broke....................................

sounds like a scare ware to me. Program a is loaded with a pre designed scare inbuilt which is then flagged as a problem that you need to pay to remove. Been lots of cases in the last few years

Just use spybot, best free anti-spyware around, won't slow down your computer or throw up tons of false positives or spam you with adverts to "UPGRADE NOW OR SPYWARE WILL DESTROY YOUR PC!!!!": http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Job done. Also locks down your registry so nothing can get in without your permission and allows you to control everything that loads on startup (advanced tools> startup)

Quit worrying so much, it's pretty hard to pick up spyware online unless you do downright retarded things.

Source #1 is being retarded enough to click on weird email attachments.

Source #2 is being retarded enough to let websites install software.

Source #3 is being retarded enough to download illegal software that hasn't been released by a warez group with a good reputation.

I've been running no anti-virus for years with no problems.

please read the thread - spybot did not find it, thats why i've decided i had to get spyware doctor, and no i did none of those 3 things you mentioned, and try not to use the word retarded if you can resist it

sounds like a scare ware to me. Program a is loaded with a pre designed scare inbuilt which is then flagged as a problem that you need to pay to remove. Been lots of cases in the last few years

no, it's not, seems it picks up things the other programs might miss even if updated to the minute. but i have posted free links so you can all check your machines for free for 90 days rather than fork out £20 to £50 for a licence. i strongly recommend you put your faith in the always free software programs to one side on this issue and use SD on the 90-day free licence i left the link for