House Price Crash Forum

My Laptop Switches Off By Itself When On Mains Power

loginandtonic

HOLA441

my laptop fan seems to be on most of the time these days, i assume this means its overheating?

last couple of days, particularly when i leave it to scan for viruses, i return to find it has switched itself off. it never does it when i am present though! not yet anyway.

overheating?

virus?

deceased relative trying to tell me i spend too much time staring at the screen?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

You do keep your laptop on a flat surface don't you? I mean, this is precisly why they are not called laptops anymore but notebooks instead! (air intake on bottom of machine gets blocked on carpet or soft surface etc.).

Also check the fan is spinning freely and the vents and heatsinks are not full of dust.

Also check your power settings (right click on desktop > screensaver > power) it might be turning itself off because it is set to do so!

HOLA446
HOLA447
You do keep your laptop on a flat surface don't you? I mean, this is precisly why they are not called laptops anymore but notebooks instead! (air intake on bottom of machine gets blocked on carpet or soft surface etc.).

Also check the fan is spinning freely and the vents and heatsinks are not full of dust.

Also check your power settings (right click on desktop > screensaver > power) it might be turning itself off because it is set to do so!

its on mains, not set to switco off except when on batts, anyway i left it on all night scanning and it didnt turn off this time. its on a flat desk top. i cant get into the laptop to make these checks, i aint no engineeer!

HOLA448
its on mains, not set to switco off except when on batts, anyway i left it on all night scanning and it didnt turn off this time. its on a flat desk top. i cant get into the laptop to make these checks, i aint no engineeer!

You can still set the thing to turn off when on mains so worth checking just in case! Also you should be able to see if much of the vents and heatsinks are clear or not just looking underneath the laptop.

I dunno just trying to rule out the simple things! BTW if there was a loose plug then it might have been mains > battery power > mains etc... without you knowing.... Not impossible.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Had similar problems as "laptop" user myself. Solutions....

http://ikeahacker.blogspot.com/2007/06/nee...-own-stand.html

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20078234

Also check out laptop coolers on Ebay.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
You can still set the thing to turn off when on mains so worth checking just in case! Also you should be able to see if much of the vents and heatsinks are clear or not just looking underneath the laptop.

I dunno just trying to rule out the simple things! BTW if there was a loose plug then it might have been mains > battery power > mains etc... without you knowing.... Not impossible.

i didnt know that! yeah the vents are clear, must be a problem inside.

Give it some privilige days and an unrealistic pension funded by the taxpayer.

:)

Had similar problems as "laptop" user myself. Solutions....

http://ikeahacker.blogspot.com/2007/06/nee...-own-stand.html

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20078234

Also check out laptop coolers on Ebay.

cheers paul

There's another reason they are not called laptops these days. You probably wont be able to read it all, but you'll get the gist:

http://www.lancet.com/journals/lancet/arti...1643-6/fulltext

yes, food for thought

Try dipping it in a bath of ice cold water. That should do the trick.

it insists on warm water and radox

HOLA4414
Sounds like dust if the fan is on all the time. With it switched off blow hard through the vents and watch the dust come out. You could also get a a can of compressed air and use that to blow the dust. The fins in teh heatsink are notorious for getting blocked apart from the obvious of when its on your lap and your leg blocks the vent hole.

Other thing to check is that your power settings for mains isnt set to switch off after X amount of time although the fact it didnt switch off over night would suggest your power settings are ok.

thx trickster + all

will give my laptop a bj later as suggested

HOLA4415

One more thing - check that the mains power adaptor is working correctly. I very nearly took one of my laptops in to be repaired after exhausting all avenues, before noticing that it was actually a broken power adaptor responsible for the laptop powering down (running off the battery then shutting down).

Does the battery indicator show an empty battery charge when it shuts down? If not, I'd say the power settings are the culprit.

HOLA4416
One more thing - check that the mains power adaptor is working correctly. I very nearly took one of my laptops in to be repaired after exhausting all avenues, before noticing that it was actually a broken power adaptor responsible for the laptop powering down (running off the battery then shutting down).

Does the battery indicator show an empty battery charge when it shuts down? If not, I'd say the power settings are the culprit.

cheers sir sidney,

easy on mine to see when running on batts, screen goes obviously dim

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Same things happened to my laptop, I cleaned the fan, but it still wouldn't work. It was getting very, very hot before shutting down. At first I assumed the fan had broken or that the thermal sensor was faulty so I wired the fan into a usb connector which proved that the fan worked fine.

I downloaded speedfan, with told me the cpu temperature, so clearly the thermal sensor is working also.

I think the problem is due to some sort of virus, but I'm not that tech savy these days. The first thing I did was to re-install windows and reset the bios settings to default, but still no joy.

Archived