House Price Crash Forum

Terrorists!

HOLA441

http://news.bbc.co.uk/

_46336055_hussainalisarwar_466x260pa.jpg

Three guilty of airline bomb plot

Three men are found guilty of plotting to blow up passenger planes flying across the Atlantic with home-made liquid bombs.

]The world's airlines were thrown into chaos in 2006 after the men's arrests, as security experts immediately introduced restrictions on liquids in hand luggage

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
So you're seriously suggesting the videos, large orders for hydrogen peroxide, and the bugged videos of them cooking up the explosives were all somehow faked or forced out of them????

No, just that you should always keep an open mind and be wary of the state.

If anyone suggested in 1975 that the Birmingham Six or the Guildford Four were innocent, they were met with cries of derision just like yours.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
No, just that you should always keep an open mind and be wary of the state.

If anyone suggested in 1975 that the Birmingham Six or the Guildford Four were innocent, they were met with cries of derision just like yours.

There's a world of difference between a piece of paper with someone's signature on it, and that person appearing in a self-made video explaining that he's about to blow up some airplanes.

Is there anything that would satisfy your burden of proof criteria short of actually catching them on the plane with a bomb?

HOLA4421
So you're seriously suggesting the videos, large orders for hydrogen peroxide, and the bugged videos of them cooking up the explosives were all somehow faked or forced out of them????

Without doing a google search, do you honestly know what hydrogen peroxide is? and what it is used for?

And could you post a link to some of these videos please.

Edit: I am not attempting to defend these people, I just honestly haven't seen any evidence presented that these people have committed these crimes. I would be grateful if you could show me something substantial that proves their guilt, because then I will be happy to see them locked up forever. Surely if the evidence of their guilt is so overwhelming then it will withstand the scrutiny of my simple questions.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
There's a world of difference between a piece of paper with someone's signature on it, and that person appearing in a self-made video explaining that he's about to blow up some airplanes.

Is there anything that would satisfy your burden of proof criteria short of actually catching them on the plane with a bomb?

I see, videos can't be faked. That's what they said about signed confessions in the 1970s. :lol:

HOLA4424

Just to show a balance, an old Reg article towards the end of the trial. It's two pages but worth the read.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/10/li..._bomb_verdicts/

10th September 2008

Could the bombs have done that job, in fact?

The answer, unusually, is yes. The three convicted bombmakers - unlike other UK-based terrorists seen recently - had everything ready to assemble devices which would have had a good chance of getting through airport security as it then was. These devices would then have had enough power to at the very least severely damage a big jet.

So the bombers in this case had adequately safe main charges, and in those pre-liquids-ban days they could have taken quite big ones onto the plane with them. They also had viable detonators, safe enough for suicide terrorists to use if not for normal explosives folk, well able to give the main charges the high-velocity shock they would need to make them detonate rather than deflagrate or burn. All they needed to do in the airliner loos was hook up their dets to the firing circuit, open the bottles, slip the dets in and press the button. Job done.

It's the possession and use of detonators, indeed, that's the hallmark of a serious bomber. The Provisional IRA (PIRA) of old used detonators, both proper manufactured ones and homemade. These were very often the primaries for highly effective home-made charges, which went off quite reliably and caused a lot of destruction. The bombers in this case were serious - not by any means in PIRA's league yet, but getting there - and their plan was a good one. The prosecutors have failed to prove to the jury's satisfaction that the devices were aimed at airliners, but nobody - not even the three convicted bombmakers themselves - suggests that the bombs weren't viable, or that they couldn't have got through security.

And it just could be that this time the hasty Americans in Pakistan, triggering an early end to the UK surveillance operation, have actually done us a favour. Possibly the accused men were planning mass murder, as the prosecution contends: but the cause of Western democracy gains a lot more by showing the world the manifold excellences of trial by jury than it could ever lose by failing to make that charge stick. ®

Lewis Page used to be a mine clearance diving officer in the Royal Navy. As such, he was trained in demolitions and bomb disposal. He was assigned as a bomb-squad operator in support of the mainland police from 2001-2004, holding a UK improvised-devices disposal licence for that period.

HOLA4425
Without doing a google search, do you honestly know what hydrogen peroxide is? and is use for?

Well my chemistry degree would tell me that it's an oxidising agent, particularly useful for making highly oxidised and energetic compounds such as explosives. Especially when used in the quantity that these guys bought (which was one of their fundamental mistakes - buying chemicals like this in bulk immediately alerts the authorities).

In "normal life" you could use it as a powerful bleach but you would never need the quantities bought in this case.

Archived