House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Council To Give Families M&s Vouchers... For Putting Their Rubbish In The Right Bin

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12...g-vouchers.html

Families who recycle their rubbish properly will be awarded prizes, including shopping vouchers, under a new council pilot scheme to improve rules over bin collection.

Many councils up and down the country will punish families who break rubbish collection rules, such as leaving their bins out on the wrong day or placing items in the wrong coloured wheelie bin.

But instead of targeting people who break the rules with penalties, one council has come up with the novel idea of rewarding those who follow rubbish collection guidelines correctly.

The Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead (RBWM) has launched the country's first rubbish reward scheme, which will give shopping vouchers to residents who recycle enthusiastically.

The new scheme is being tried as a six-month pilot at 3,750 homes across the borough, with extra points available for anyone who signs up for extra recycling before Christmas.

It's the first time the American scheme has been used in the UK to cover materials such as paper, cardboard, plastic, glass and metal.

The best recyclers will win points towards a maximum £130 a year in vouchers for goods and meals at local shops and restaurants, including Marks & Spencer.

The project, run by the Queen's local council in Windsor, will cost council taxpayers nothing because private sector sponsors will donate the shopping incentives.

Windsor and Maidenhead currently operates a twin-stream recycling system - separating glass and plastics from fibres.

But households in the pilot areas of Ascot, Windsor and Maidenhead have been issued with a new 240-litre blue bin to allow all material to be collected.

It means relief for householders struggling with complex recycling rules, as under the new system they can put all their recycled waste in one blue bin rather than several different boxes for different kinds of rubbish.

This stimulus idea could be expanded far and wide, send your kids to school get vouchers for electrical shops or the supermarket.

Use public transport and get vouchers giving you discount off a car.

This is a whole new way to stimulate.

I assume this is a middle class area hence the M&S vouchers.

Guest UK Debt Slave
The world has gone mad! :blink:

Indeed it has

But it's still better than fining people for not recycling their waste

Carrot is always better than stick

In America, alot of supermarkets have can and bottlebanks. When you recycle, you get money off your shopping bill.

It works very well.

Yep! Carrot is always better than stick

Though I have to say, this kind of thing shouldn't be council run and paid for by the taxpayer. The supermarkets and shops should run it.

Since M&S vouchers are backed by clothing, food and soft furnishings

Wrong! M&S vouchers are denominated in £ sterling and you know what that's backed up by - nothing more substantial than "confidence" I'm afraid.

not just any old scheme....Its an M&S scheme....mmmMMMMmmm

Wonder if the queen will get mucho vouchers at Windsor Castle.

So if you are a local retailer, you are in fact paying your business rates to fund an incentive scheme that benefits one of your competitors.

Its not like the big retailers need a hand is it? Another nail in the coffin for the smaller retailers methinks!

If they want a carrot / reward system, why not just knock a few quid off next years CT bill for those who bother to make the councils recycling job easier (and cheaper)? Call it passing on cost efficiencies or something. Then let the householder spend that money how they choose.

Ive just realised what a naive comment i have made, which reflects my limited life experience of onlyever working in the private sector.

In the private sector the motive is profit. This gives the opportunity to earn bonus as well as kudos. In the public sector, the kudos is from the size of budget 'controlled'. Of course the bigger the budget you spend the larger your guaranteed salary. Why on earth wold these people want to save money for us when they can continue to inflate their egos by spending more of our money for us?

Rant over! I feel better now.

Edited by Nick Dastardly

It works by weighing the rubbish bin loaded on the back of the truck. I wonder whether people will soak cardboard in water or do other tricks to get more points for vouchers.

recycle bank was on bbc news explaining where the money comes from.

They claim it's not stealing from council tax payers as it's money they "save" the council and "share" with the council that saving.

So the council, if it just recycled more on it's own could keep 100% of the saving.

No split was mentioned by recycle bank man.

They've got a system for sorting it all out. So in that case can't they stop 100% of stuff going to landfill (ok what does need to get landfilled? Anything?)

In the private sector the motive is profit. This gives the opportunity to earn bonus as well as kudos. In the public sector, the kudos is from the size of budget 'controlled'. Of course the bigger the budget you spend the larger your guaranteed salary. Why on earth wold these people want to save money for us when they can continue to inflate their egos by spending more of our money for us?

Your forgetting about being inefficient so you can have more staff. The more staff you have the better the manager you are.

So if you are a local retailer, you are in fact paying your business rates to fund an incentive scheme that benefits one of your competitors.

that strikes me as incredibly dodgy - tory council too, idiots

Sounds to me like the idea is to start with the carrot, in order to persuade people to accept the microchips in their bins and all the other surveillance infrastructure needed to administer such a scheme. Once in place, this infrastructure can very easily be switched from one that hands out carrots to one that wields a stick...

From the article...

The project, run by the Queen's local council in Windsor, will cost council taxpayers nothing because private sector sponsors will donate the shopping incentives.

From the article...

From the article...

They get the money from the council NOT having to pay landfill taxes.

If the council got on with recycling more on it's own then they'd get 100% of the money they didn't have to spent on landfill tax.

Guest sillybear2
The bad kids get rewarded at school too just for turning up

Hey, it works for mice.

Guest sillybear2
It works by weighing the rubbish bin loaded on the back of the truck. I wonder whether people will soak cardboard in water or do other tricks to get more points for vouchers.

Me thinks if you have a chavvy family in a street with kids that like to burn things, old cars, tyres, local pets, pizza boxes, etc, then they're gonna get a M&S voucher every week!

Those aren't vouchers, for real money. The picture shows they are money off vouchers - e.g. £5 off when you spend £25. I spend £25 in a cheap supermarket about twice a year.

You can probably find the same online for free and bugg4h your rubbish being right.

Sounds to me like the idea is to start with the carrot, in order to persuade people to accept the microchips in their bins and all the other surveillance infrastructure needed to administer such a scheme. Once in place, this infrastructure can very easily be switched from one that hands out carrots to one that wields a stick...

One of my colleagues once said that if you find a big enough carrot you can use it as a stick! He was talking about students rather than bins though.

QUOTE (Nick Dastardly @ Sep 8 2009, 09:19 AM) *

From the article...

I can see your point - but then again my point is still valid. If the private sector sponsors want to show philanthropy to those who actively and enthusiastically recycle, then why dont they make cash donations to a fund which is used to off-set council tax for those who qualify?

Why does the money have to be spent rather than affording an opportunity for a cost saving?

Edited by Nick Dastardly