House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1929crash

Mayor Of Doncaster Says We Could Learn From The Taliban

Peter Davies, who has made it his personal mission to rid Doncaster of political correctness, said that under the Taliban, Afghanistan had an “ordered system of family lifeâ€. By contrast he said social policies which disregarded the importance of the traditional family had “created mayhem†in Britain.

Under the Taliban, women were banned from working outside the home, studying in schools or universities, from talking to men who were not family members, and from wearing cosmetics, high heels, or clothes made in “sexually attracting coloursâ€.

They were stoned to death if caught having sex outside marriage, and whipped for not covering their ankles in public or being unaccompanied by a suitable male relative in public. Despite these shortcomings – which Amnesty International concluded “virtually confined women to the home†– Mr Davies said the Taliban’s rule did have some advantages.

WTF?

http://www.liberalconspiracy.org/2009/09/0...nd-the-taliban/

This mayor is an English Democrat and is supposed to represent all that's best in libertarian thinking for Britain.

What is your interpretation? How far do you take the concept? Giving certain groups a free ride on taxpayer funding, and encouraging the fragmentation of the two-parent family strike me as very destructive to society in the long run.

Where does Davies say we should copy the Taliban exactly and institute the same laws?

"He said: "The one thing to be said about the Taliban is that they do have an ordered society of some sort

and that they don't have hundreds of cases of children under threat of abuse from violent parents, as we have in Doncaster."

Mr Davies, a former teacher who was voted in to head Doncaster Council in June, insisted his comments

about the Taliban were merely "hyperbole" to make a point about the way the welfare system failed to support the family.

He stressed that he "detested" the Taliban, but added: "The point I was making was that even a regime as

hideous as the Taliban at least appear to have sort of decent sort of family affairs. In fact probably...they have an ordered society. "

What a terrible example to use for hyperbole.

jessenCF_450x300.jpg

Under the Taliban, women were banned from working outside the home, studying in schools or universities, from talking to men who were not family members, and from wearing cosmetics, high heels, or clothes made in "sexually attracting colours".

They were stoned to death if caught having sex outside marriage, and whipped for not covering their ankles in public or being unaccompanied by a suitable male relative in public.

Despite these shortcomings – which Amnesty International concluded "virtually confined women to the home" – Mr Davies said the Taliban's rule did have some advantages.

What is your interpretation? How far do you take the concept? Giving certain groups a free ride on taxpayer funding, and encouraging the fragmentation of the two-parent family strike me as very destructive to society in the long run.

Where does Davies say we should copy the Taliban exactly and institute the same laws?

You can judge a person's character by the sort of people he admires.

you have fallen into what is known in formal logic as the genetic fallacy. That is to say, you are attacking the content of an argument by way of reference to its source.

Are you saying your hero did not make these despicable remarks? :unsure:

hes not my hero

he is just a politician who stood on a platform of saving tax payers money rather than the rest of them who want to spend tax payers money

You can judge a person's character by the sort of people he admires.

He stressed that he "detested" the Taliban

Quite :blink:

That is deliciously ironic.

The liberalconspiracy story is not original, it is passing comment on THIS article, from the Telegraph...

Which you would have known if you had been bothered to read it ;)

I picked it up off the politicshome website, which has a sort of tickertape of blogs and articles running across the top.

http://www.politicshome.com

Mr Davies, a former teacher who was voted in to head Doncaster Council in June, insisted his comments

about the Taliban were merely "hyperbole" to make a point about the way the welfare system failed to support the family.

Mind you I know of quite a few divorced men who speak like this, of course they don´t mean it and are only venting their frustration but it shows how destitute the liberal system has become. Soon it will be left with scant support and the pendulum will swing.

In the meantime expect more hyperbole.

That is deliciously ironic.

The liberalconspiracy story is not original, it is passing comment on THIS article, from the Telegraph...

Which you would have known if you had been bothered to read it ;)

The NHS, according to the BMJ, has improved massively since 1997.

It certainly should have. Public spending on the NHS is now three times higher compared with 1997, a fact that the BMJ glides over. The important issue is whether healthcare in terms of patient outcomes is now three times better or whether much of the increase in spending has been absorbed by increases in the pay of clinicians – reportedly now the best paid in Europe – and in an inflated bureaucracy.

According to estimates by the Office of National Statistics, productivity in the NHS has been going down:

“The NHS has seen a year-on-year fall in productivity despite the billions of pounds of investment in the service, latest figures show. The data from the Office for National Statistics showed a fall of 2% a year from 2001 to 2005 across the UK.â€

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7610103.stm

Several NHS Primary Care Trusts are reporting that top earning GPs are getting over £300,000 a year remuneration. Also, several media reports say that higher pay for NHS staff has absorbed some 70% of the extra financial support put into the NHS by the government since 1999. I believe these are major factors explaining why NHS productivity is assessed by ONS as having shrunk.

“NHS hospitals in England are rife with waste and inefficiency, consultants McKinsey and Company have told the Department of Health in a confidential report, seen by HSJ.

“It says up to £2.4bn could be saved if hospitals with the lowest levels of staff productivity pulled themselves up to nearer the average performance. The management consultants argue that doctors and nurses in the worst 10 per cent of trusts deal with less than a fifth of the volume of patients that those in the best 10 per cent handle.

“As well as staff productivity, the report identifies inefficiencies in the patient pathway. For example, it sets out how around 40 per cent of patients in a typical hospital do not need to be there at any one time. . .

“It says up to £200m could be saved a year if unnecessary diagnostics were cut and another £600m if new and follow-up outpatient appointments were limited. . . â€

http://www.hsj.co.uk/news/acute-care/mckin...5005785.article

It seems to me that the BMJ is engaging in just another propaganda exercise for the benefit of the gullible. Someone will shortly wheel out again that old canard: the NHS is surely wonderful because the American healthcare system is so awful.

1929Crash,

So I take it that any unpleasant society is incapable of having any redeeming fetures?

If a taliban doctor found a cure for cancer, would that not be a good thing? Would you take it?

Probably not 'cos they chop babis hands off for cryin, and make wimin wear tablecloths'

You are either very biggoted or a professional troll :angry:

1929Crash,

So I take it that any unpleasant society is incapable of having any redeeming fetures?

If a taliban doctor found a cure for cancer, would that not be a good thing? Would you take it?

Probably not 'cos they chop babis hands off for cryin, and make wimin wear tablecloths'

You are either very biggoted or a professional troll :angry:

No, but how would it go down if a major politician were to stand up and say Hitler did some wonderful things, and that although the holocaust was a terrible thing, it just proved what you could do with an effciently run railway and scientific management?

This thead seems to have become so self-absorbed, it's run around in an ever-tightening circle and vanished up its own primary orifice!

Mr Davies, an Independent, is one of my heroes: he is pledged to cut waste and the typical self-perpetutating and ever-growing local council festering mass of PC-driven Pink Do-Gooders!

He is currently axing such unnecessaries as Town Twinning: so hordes of councillors and council officers can go off on foreign jollies every year at taxpayer's expense.

As always, I am sure his words have been taken out of context and boomed up by the Loony Lefties who seek any opportunity to misquote the man and slag off him and his efforts, in the vain attempt to discredit him in order that they can all perpetuate their golden goose.

Knowing a little about both Doncaster and its new mayor, I believe the comparirive analogy he was alluding to was that most of these old industrial towns' social problems have emerged from festering sink estates where such as Sharron Mathews types dwell.

Few younger people are married or in stable relationships and tend to have zillions of kids by loads of different partners: drink and drugs abuse are rife; as is violence towards those kids.

This pic of Edlington is perhaps a tribute to Thatcher's destruction of the Northern post-industrial townscape.

And the lefty Bleeding Heart Social Workers and their council ilk have done little to tackle the core problems and everything to perpetuate them by freely supporting the dishing out of billions of our taxes to undeserving causes.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?S...p;in_page_id=34

We've got Muslim dating ads coming up! Complete with headcoverings! :lol:

I suppose it makes a change from the usual Thai Bride ads, but how come we cant get Gay Bear Dating to come up, no matter how hard we try?

We've got Muslim dating ads coming up! Complete with headcoverings! :lol:

I suppose it makes a change from the usual Thai Bride ads, but how come we cant get Gay Bear Dating to come up, no matter how hard we try?

Bungle from rainbow was a bit of a homity-pie wasn't he? I reckon he could use a gay bear dating site. If only they advertised them more widely among popular internet forums....