House Price Crash Forum
tastingstars

"the Scariest Jobs Chart Ever"

This shows we had a 4 year long recession 2001-2005 worse than the 90's recession.

The fake boom we had actually accentuated the push to move jobs and production abroad, whilst glossing over the real problems with a sea of debt.

Madness, and entirely destructive.

Yes, it looks scary, but who's to say the bottom won't be V-shaped like the others. We could be at the bottom of a V right now for all we know. The shapes are all different so its quite hard to say there's any pattern there.

Yes, it looks scary, but who's to say the bottom won't be V-shaped like the others. We could be at the bottom of a V right now for all we know. The shapes are all different so its quite hard to say there's any pattern there.

Only those pre-1990, the more recent have been 'bathtub' shaped and all follow a pattern of increasing length.

The US I would guess.

Why is the curve for the 2007 recession perfectly smooth whereas the trends for all the other recessions are jagged? I am guessing this has to do with different data collections/projections rather than a difference in the real respective trends.

So are the figures the OP posted ours or the US?

The US I would guess.

Why is the curve for the 2007 recession perfectly smooth whereas the trends for all the other recessions are jagged? I am guessing this has to do with different data collections/projections rather than a difference in the real respective trends.

Because we are having the perfect jobless recovery.

Am I reading this chart right? It is % losses relative to peak employment, i.e. at the x-axis (0%) you are back at peak? That does not seem so bad, knowing that previous recessions (e.g. 1981, 1990) had a total period of only two years from peak-to-peak.

What am I missing? Is it the implied symmetry, signalling that even if we are at the bottom of the curve, we need another two years to get back to peak employment?

BTW, what percentage of peak employment is acceptable for a recovery? Does it have to be 100%? surely not...

Just asking... ;)

Edit: Typo.

Edited by #1 on West side

There doesn't seem to be any logic in having 1980 separate from 1981-1983 (apart from the fact that 1 or 2 quarters of growth were registered before falling back again). What would it look like if they were added together?

Ditto the op's chart with 1980 and 1981. I suppose it makes the present situation look much worse which is more interesting.

If you think about it 1980 & 81-83 are a double dip recession and those always have the nasty bit second. Simply move the 81-83 line and stick it on the end of the 80's line, you get sharp drop, sharp recovereh! back to where you started from and then big nasty drop.

Doesn't bode well given the number of people thinking this recession will 'double dip' :ph34r:

Edited by D.C.

Because we are having the perfect jobless recovery.

Is this the one with the rainbow at the end?