HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
No way! Thats just a waste! What a silly thing to do with money (and other high handed responses).

An accumulator on Cameroon, Lithuania, Israel, Germany, Italy and Spain turns it into over £50k before the weekend.

looks pretty tempting

although i'm not sure i'd want to rely on lithuania winning away from home

HOLA4410
An accumulator on Cameroon, Lithuania, Israel, Germany, Italy and Spain turns it into over £50k before the weekend.

"The 'roon" have never been the same since Patrick Mboma retired from football; I think this was aroundabouts the same time he signed for Sunderland.

eight

HOLA4411
I was just wondering how the HPC audience would respond

It's a ruddy hard question. Right now, my answer is 'building society account - ~3%/anm.'

It's not a great answer, but it isn't awful - IMHO.

I'd really like to see what answers come back for £40K, £80K, £160K and £320K, say. Does my small-scale answer work irrespective of the amount of capital?

A more important question is this: "For how long?" Sure, cash in a savings account might be fine right now, but this won't be the case forever. What assets should be monitored with a view to managing a low-risk portfolio? I'm anticipating that the world stock markets will dip significantly sometime soon - but timing that is very hard... real-estate will become a viable investment again - but, perhaps, not for years to come. A further issue arises when I note that a large proportion of not-entirely-transparent investment vehicles (sold as 'investment bonds') are run by financial institutions I suspect might be practically bankrupt - seriously diminishing my trust that they will be motivated to manage my investment to my advantage - rather than to mitigate their other losses.

I can see a plethora of high risk (potentially high yield) opportunities - but establishing what to do with cash that, at some point, should buy a house is rather more complicated. Opting for a low-yield savings account feels like a cop-out, but every alternative I can find looks worse. I find this doubly the case when I anticipate that had I the bottle to speculate on the markets, my perspective best suggests derivative positions rather than equity stakes. My lack of confidence in the detail of my predictions (and reluctance to engage in gambling) leaves it rather easy to dismiss equity investment for now, at least.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423