House Price Crash Forum
Austin Allegro

Talking Ourselves Into Recovery

I am getting annoyed with the constant spinning of 'recovery' in the media.

We've had this nonsense about a 'relapse' - how can you have a relapse without a recovery:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090906/tuk-h...se-6323e80.html

Then on R4 this morning there was an item about how traffic jams were lessening in the recession, with a ridiculous and insulting coda (probably added by a BBC editor) that 'of course, traffic would worsen again as recovery continues'.

I don't mind people putting a positive spin on things, but for God's sake stop lying to us!

I am getting annoyed with the constant spinning of 'recovery' in the media.

We've had this nonsense about a 'relapse' - how can you have a relapse without a recovery:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090906/tuk-h...se-6323e80.html

Then on R4 this morning there was an item about how traffic jams were lessening in the recession, with a ridiculous and insulting coda (probably added by a BBC editor) that 'of course, traffic would worsen again as recovery continues'.

I don't mind people putting a positive spin on things, but for God's sake stop lying to us!

Yes and no. Much of the boom & bust cycle are sentiment driven. When sentiment turns, it can actually be a key ingredient in the recovereh!

Edited by Kyoto

of course, traffic would worsen again as recovery continues'.

Huge numbers of ordinary people out of work at the start of any recovery.

Perfectly normal I thought?

EDIT:- AA, are you sure the BBC person didn't say "riff-raff"?

Edited by Laura

just spoke to one of my clients (in engineering - high end precision stuff) who has been doing OK for a while - suddenly it's all fallen off a cliff. he thinks recovery talk is just that, all talk!

I am getting annoyed with the constant spinning of 'recovery' in the media. ........../

I just KNEW it would happen. When the world nearly collapsed this time last year, I said many times here on HPC - [i can't be bothered to find the posts] - the VIs would FIGHT - AND EAT THEIR BABIES/KILL THEIR MOTHERS rather than let house prices sink............ And they've been at it ever since.

We're being fed 'war-time quality propaganda.'

It works for the winning side but defeat is made worse. Imagine the psychological damage if things get worse from now, just when they thought it was all over.....

It works for the winning side but defeat is made worse. Imagine the psychological damage if things get worse from now, just when they thought it was all over.....

It would be exciting to think that Labour are issuing diktats and D notices all around, but I suspect it's more a case of the media, like most of the country, just assuming 'recovereh' is round the corner because they want it to be and they don't understand the bigger picture.

Someone at work today was saying, for example, that we'll be alright because 'the government will be able to spend its way out of the recession'.

War?! Bomb the B*stards springs to mind.

Someone at work today was saying, for example, that we'll be alright because 'the government will be able to spend its way out of the recession'.

Amazing how often you come across the 'government won't let it happen' meme.

No evidence or even thinking behind what comes out of their mouths, no arguments or logic to back up the statement when discussed...

MY MD is a classic case, just lies through who is teeth with a delightful finish of 'be positive'. Told a colleague today that he got 9K reduced off a bill he owed. The bill is 9K. Now I know for a fact that this creditor wouldn't ever wipe our bill, and we would get a max 20% off with good negotiation.

Problem is the damage this does to the company. Constant lies about everything.

Question: do I email this company and get the truth (from a friend in the co) in writing, or just leave it well alone, save myself the grief.

Edited by Tonkers

The flip side of this - we are in a recession, because we are told we are. Unless you are one of the unfortunate who has lost his/her job then you wouldn't really know you were in a recession. For 95% of the population life hasn't really changed. Ok your mortgage payments may have fallen a little but most continue on.

Equally we will come out of the recession when we are told we are out. Most (probably including myself) don't fully understand the economical cycles and whilst our faith in politations, etc is falling, will believe it is over when we are officially told it. That therefore givs, those in control (whoever they may be) great power. The only trick they have to pull is not to officially call (which hasn't happened) it too early when it is obvious that the problem is still there.

There is another effect of this. If people and business including banks think we are coming out of this they will, perhaps unknown to themselves act differently . They will act as if we are coming out of recession and this not only helps other people to think that way, it may actually help the economy to actually come out of recession.

The flip side of this - we are in a recession, because we are told we are. Unless you are one of the unfortunate who has lost his/her job then you wouldn't really know you were in a recession. For 95% of the population life hasn't really changed. Ok your mortgage payments may have fallen a little but most continue on.

Equally we will come out of the recession when we are told we are out. Most (probably including myself) don't fully understand the economical cycles and whilst our faith in politations, etc is falling, will believe it is over when we are officially told it. That therefore givs, those in control (whoever they may be) great power. The only trick they have to pull is not to officially call (which hasn't happened) it too early when it is obvious that the problem is still there.

There is another effect of this. If people and business including banks think we are coming out of this they will, perhaps unknown to themselves act differently . They will act as if we are coming out of recession and this not only helps other people to think that way, it may actually help the economy to actually come out of recession.

I think you are overestimating the effect of sentiment, or certainly the durability of sentiment. As unemployment relentlessly rises, and more and more people do get their own personal experience of recession, the spin and propaganda will inexorably lose its power.

For now, green shoots and sunny days are winning. But how can it last once the massive stimulus of borrowed money inevitably comes to an end?

It can't.