House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

How Was The Summer Season?

Just wondering if anyone on here has a Summer season business or knows someone who does - you know, seaside cafes, B&Bs, etc.

Apparently we had a staycation this year with millions of Brits holidaying at home but judging by the weather few people ventured out anywhere.

So, anyone know how well or bad these Summer season businesses did?

Have to say, in my part of the World, from what I observed things were much quieter than normal - not sure whether that was because of the weather or the recession or a bit of both.

Small businesses like Estate Agencies?:

Reading the Metro newspaper on the way to work this morning I looked at a short article in their 1/2 page Business section. The article was focused on the number of Hotels in the UK going out of business during the recession but also mentioned that in the 3 months to June this year 510 Estate Agency businesses had ceased trading. So, it looks like it is not only that large numbers of Estate Agencies have been cutting their staff numbers right down to the bone but also that very large numbers of Estate Agencies are still going out of business ...... despite the so called 'recovery'.

And I thought Estate Agencies/Agents were having a great summer! At this rate over 2000 Estate Agency businesses will have gone out of business by the end of the year. Super recovery, well done Estate Agents.

I think all the hype behind staycation in the media and the barbecue summer will have a bit of a backdraft effect. No doubt places in the UK will have responded to the increased demand by floating their rates higher or not dropping them and in combination with a poor summer will probably put off a lot more people than would otherwise been the case of considering it again.... oops.

Meanwhile foreign tour company bookings have fallen (they've reduced the number of packages available proportionately) and airlines have dropped quite a few routes. Might need to book early for trips next year to get any sort of deal and avoid the stampede.

Bournemouth's reef seems to have been a total flop (though not finished yet) and to pay for it (only in part) the parking has been removed and been replaced with ..... more flats.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-...es-1782541.html

Edited by OnlyMe

I don't know whether to be impressed or disturbed that you know of that link. :unsure:

Impressed, of course.

The surveys seem pretty genuine - last summer's was realistic about the impact of the horrible weather. Can be a bit "no shizzle, Sherlock", e.g. "2.3 Many indoor attractions have benefited from people seeking things to do indoors in the bad weather."

Guest KingCharles1st

Hi Tulip.

Had noticed an enormous reduction in "getaway" weekend M25 traffic these last few weeks, and one of the major e-mail sites is reporting it as a story on their news items this morning too.

there was a similar thread on this the other day http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...howtopic=124316

also i was surfing with a friend of mine the other day who manages the local adventure centre, and he was saying how busy he has been and how busy he is until christmas, but they do a lot of work with school groups so the recession hasn't really affected them. Pretty much the whole of the local economy where i live is tourism and i have no doubt the recession and the weather combined has had an adverse effect this year, time will tell in a couple of months when the shops selling overpriced tat to tourists start to close!

Hi Tulip.

Had noticed an enormous reduction in "getaway" weekend M25 traffic these last few weeks, and one of the major e-mail sites is reporting it as a story on their news items this morning too.

Is that foreign "getaway" m25 and related airport traffic, or "getaway" UK weekend break traffic?

Dont want to sound cruel but this is excellent news - 510 more (EA) houses on the market then B)

Small businesses like Estate Agencies?:

Reading the Metro newspaper on the way to work this morning I looked at a short article in their 1/2 page Business section. The article was focused on the number of Hotels in the UK going out of business during the recession but also mentioned that in the 3 months to June this year 510 Estate Agency businesses had ceased trading. So, it looks like it is not only that large numbers of Estate Agencies have been cutting their staff numbers right down to the bone but also that very large numbers of Estate Agencies are still going out of business ...... despite the so called 'recovery'.

And I thought Estate Agencies/Agents were having a great summer! At this rate over 2000 Estate Agency businesses will have gone out of business by the end of the year. Super recovery, well done Estate Agents.