House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ScaredEitherWay

Chris Moyles Talks Openly Of His 20% Pay Cut

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8236484.stm

"Plus I'm 20% cheaper than I was this time three months ago so, I'm a bargain."

The broadcaster talks openly about the pay cut he received this year - along with lots of other high-profile stars, such as Jonathan Ross and Jeremy Paxman.

"No-one likes to take a pay cut," he says.

"But I want to work at the BBC, which is trying to save some of its gazillions, so who am I to get in the way?"

But he says he only signed a one-year deal and is hoping that when the time comes to renew it, his pay packet will be increased again.

"Hopefully when the contract runs out and the BBC have got bags and bags of money again, I'll get some back," he laughs.

I read in the paper something about this. It is all well and good to pay top money for big names (though the BBC have been more than a little generous for certain 'talent') but even some of the newsreaders are paid stupid sums for what they do.

This newspaper claimed that Fiona Bruce was on about £800K. I am sure a tenth of that salary is more than generous for such a role.

It should have been an 80% cut - I know he has waited until retiring to point out that anyone can do his job but Wogan is right about the journalists. It is just reading, talking and asking questions. Anyone can do it.

Where else would the BBC types go in this recession? Who would pay for them?

There is no justification for the BBC to be paying such high wages to these people.

Can someone tell me who Chris Moyles is so I can work out whether my money has been well spent on his wages.

From my enforced sampling of his show, I would say that the money has not been well spent,

Peter.

Edit: In answer to your question, he hosts the Radio1 breakfast show during the week.

Edited by Blue Peter

Moyles is the Steve Wright of Radio1.

A pompous clown who surrounds himself with people who lick his boots and tell him how great he is.

An odious little man.

Has he thought about running for leader of the Labour party?

A pompous clown who surrounds himself with people who lick his boots and tell him how great he is.

An odious little man.

Steve Wright was on R1 last time I listened. Along with Tony Blackburn and Diddy David Hamilton IIRC. Have they sacked Tony Blackburn then?

Edited by dr ray

An odious little man.

I have to confess to finding Chris Moyles in the morning very very funny. He pulls in something like 6 million listeners too so is probably not too bad a value compared to others (Johnathon Ross springs to mind). He is also one of the few DJs on the BBC who is still prepared to have a go and say things that are against the BBC's strict policy lines though that does not generally take very much any more.

He is definately an aquired taste though and it may take a few listens to 'get' his show

Oh, and he is anything but pompous - listen a few more times. If you are lucky you may hear his Wogan impression :)

An odious little man.

Hmm,

I would have gone tedious rather than odious.

But pompous clown, oh yes

It should have been an 80% cut - I know he has waited until retiring to point out that anyone can do his job but Wogan is right about the journalists. It is just reading, talking and asking questions. Anyone can do it.

Where else would the BBC types go in this recession? Who would pay for them?

There is no justification for the BBC to be paying such high wages to these people.

Yup. Quite frankly, what these people are being paid is BEYOND BELIEF. A perfect illustration of the MADNESS of our times.

How old are Radio 1 DJ's? Moyles is not exactly young and "down with the kids."

I can remember when he first started on Radio 1 as its "saviour." he was the warm up guy for Zoe Ball and Kevin Greening. I was a temporary shift worker then so was up when he started, about 4 am in the morning.

His show was absolutely brilliant then, but the act has got a little stale now. Thats got to be over 10-12 years ago. Same as Scott Mills, he has been around for decades.

Edited by HostPaul TAFKA Rover2000

Yup. Quite frankly, what these people are being paid is BEYOND BELIEF. A perfect illustration of the MADNESS of our times.

Agreed,

I group them together with Bankers, FTSE company CEOs and financial directors, footballers, bank robbers, property tycoons and drug dealers as being deeply destructive of the morals of our country.

Why would a young person learn a skill or a trade when the prevailing attitude in this country is that someone who works steadily for a modest but fair income is a moron.

Edited by dr ray

How old are Radio 1 DJ's? Moyles is not exactly young and "down with the kids."

Jo Whiley? Or how about the master (Peel) ? still going till his death at 65.

Not that Chris is anywhere in their league, but give him time.Who knows.

His "ability" to pull in 6 million listeners a day says more about the opposition DJs than himself.

Have you listened to morning radio? It's absolute tosh.

He's the best of a bad bunch. Not worth more than 1/10th of his salary. :angry: