House Price Crash Forum
LetsGetReadyToTumble

Moving To Dorset.

We'd like to move to Dorset and rent something like a 3/4 bed detached house with a garage.

Can anyone recommend an agent in the area, and even advise on an area with a decent community spirit?

Preferably something rural.

Thanks,

Nick

Shaftesbury's not bad.

Wimborne is also a cracking little town.

Also Ringwood just over the border in Hants is a decent place to live.

Try the aptly named Dorset Lettings for an idea of what's available.

I quite liked Blandford Forum.

Is train access important? Gillingham is a hole, but does have a direct train service into Waterloo - a few hardy souls commute.

Be aware - Dorset ideas of "rural" are a bit more extreme than Londoners! "rural" to a Dorset agent means nothing for miles around - sounds great till you fancy a stroll to get the Sunday papers or need a pint of milk. Also if you have teenagers they will be bored out of their skulls......

Trains not important. I earn if I can plug into the internet, so can live almost anywhere. Kids have flown the nest, Good point about rural. Would like an active community, walking for the milk, etc, and my wife like to hop on buses to shop in the nearest town. She meets some interesting people that way, and we pick up some useful information.

Trains not important. I earn if I can plug into the internet, so can live almost anywhere. Kids have flown the nest, Good point about rural. Would like an active community, walking for the milk, etc, and my wife like to hop on buses to shop in the nearest town. She meets some interesting people that way, and we pick up some useful information.

Um. Be VERY careful with rural villages then. You will, unless you are very lucky, find that internet speed is S-L-O-W. I'm in a village only about 3 miles from Devizes and my download speed, while a theoretical maximum of 2Mg, in fact tests at only 0.2 or so. Check with the neighbours!

Edited by cartimandua51

You're presumably Cornish. Why are you moving to Dorset. Rural in Dorset is like a chocolate box picture of niceness compared to the wilds of Cornwall. Lyme Regis very nice and v nice community but near impossible to get rentals around here. Try the Letting Factory .com

Try the aptly named Dorset Lettings for an idea of what's available.

I quite liked Blandford Forum.

Is train access important? Gillingham is a hole, but does have a direct train service into Waterloo - a few hardy souls commute.

Be aware - Dorset ideas of "rural" are a bit more extreme than Londoners! "rural" to a Dorset agent means nothing for miles around - sounds great till you fancy a stroll to get the Sunday papers or need a pint of milk. Also if you have teenagers they will be bored out of their skulls......

Hole's a bit harsh. But then I was dragged up in Moston, Manchester :lol:

OP try Sherborne, nice town - pubs, restaurants and train station. On the A30 the closest thing to a major road round here.

We moved down from London nearly 3 years ago.... I would always be wary of thinking that you can just land into a village and hope to become part of the local "community" they quite suspicious down here in the shires.... but as you want to rent I would suggest that is a great way of having a look around and then go where you have found to be a place that suits you. One way to find out what is going on in a "community" is the local pub!!

We moved to Poole / Parkstone - because we knew a couple of people around here and knew that there was easy acccess to the beachs but also nice pubs / bars / restaurants and a good social scene going on. A local agent well thought of around here is Realty.

You're presumably Cornish. Why are you moving to Dorset. Rural in Dorset is like a chocolate box picture of niceness compared to the wilds of Cornwall. Lyme Regis very nice and v nice community but near impossible to get rentals around here. Try the Letting Factory .com

What's wrong with moving out of Cornwall? There are other places than Cornwall. Move here and you pay a premium for a very average property. If you want to be near a beach or have a sea view then unless you've won the lottery forget it. Everything's overpriced - a rip off. You will be forever poor, struggling to exist, unless you are one of the several million on the benefit system, when everything is paid for or you are a recluse and don't get out much.

What's wrong with moving out of Cornwall? There are other places than Cornwall. Move here and you pay a premium for a very average property. If you want to be near a beach or have a sea view then unless you've won the lottery forget it. Everything's overpriced - a rip off. You will be forever poor, struggling to exist, unless you are one of the several million on the benefit system, when everything is paid for or you are a recluse and don't get out much.

nothing wrong with moving out of cornwall trplatt. I was just asking why. And actually, property isn't priced too badly in cornwall when you compare it with lyme regis in dorset .... give the choice, i'd rather have the cornish prices than the west dorset ones ....

Thanks for the advice all.

Moving from Cornwall because,

1) The weather has been poor over the last 4 years.

2) The roads and infrastructure are not good.

3) We like cycling, but there's hardly any flat land here. It's up and down hills all the time.

4) generally it's a pretty poor area with small housing.

5) Miles from anywhere else. It takes an additional 2 hours to drive anywhere up country. My daughters have admitted they would visit more often if we were more central

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot going for Cornwall. The food is great and the locals are lovely. I think Cornwall gets a rough deal from Westminster, and it shows. I also want to do some inland waterways instead of just the sea that we have plenty of here.

The avatar suggests I'm Cornish, but like most of the people in Cornwall we are not. I use the flag to promote the place, as Cornwall has been very kind to us. We feel we need a change, and I've always had a soft spot for Dorset/ Hampshire.

I'm also sick of seeing lovely villages/ hamlets ruined by the second homers who turn up occasionally, but leave the community dead the rest of the time. They also think they have a say how the community should be run, without a care for the real locals.

Hole's a bit harsh. But then I was dragged up in Moston, Manchester :lol:

OP try Sherborne, nice town - pubs, restaurants and train station. On the A30 the closest thing to a major road round here.

Sherborne is rather nice..All the pubs aren't far away from each other & mainline station is a big plus. Blandford is just that, and it just acts as a commuter town for Poole / Bournemouth..

As the "renter" I would say you are stuck with the agent if they happen to be the ones who have the property you want to rent on their books ..... The ones I mentioned above (covering West Dorset) were not great, in the sense that they had alot of extra charges hidden in the detail of their standard tenancy agreement, but they had the house I wanted to rent so ...... not sure how you can steer clear of the bad ones. There really is not a great deal on the rental market over this side of Dorset.