House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cells

Sustainable Energy - Without The Hot Air

Event: Sustainable Energy - without the hot air

Date and time: 6:30 PM on Wed, Oct 28, 2009

Added to MyIOP by: London & South East Branch

Can European countries live on their own renewables? What do the fundamental limits of physics say? How does our current energy consumption compare with our sustainable energy options? BOOKING londonsoutheast@physics.org

To view your Events, login to your account at: http://my.iop.org.

For a full list of conferences, talks, meetings and other activities organised or co-sponsored by IOP Groups and Branches see the consolidated IOP calendar at http://www.iop.org/Calendar.

I think this is open to everybody but not 100% certain.

Could be interesting for the tin foil hatter or anyone into green or energy issues.

The fella who wrote the book is ok but imo still has faults. He doesn't consider much the economics of the options.

I think this is open to everybody but not 100% certain.

Could be interesting for the tin foil hatter or anyone into green or energy issues.

The fella who wrote the book is ok but imo still has faults. He doesn't consider much the economics of the options.

You have to be a member of the IoP looking at that link.. so not happening, unless you are going to PM us all your login :P

[Edit to add: oh, I see.. didn't realise it was an actual live talk in London. The thin film PV one looks interesting on the 16th too]

Edited by libspero

[Edit to add: oh, I see.. didn't realise it was an actual live talk in London. The thin film PV one looks interesting on the 16th too]

Yep they should be lectures. I presume the eco ones would be a little more interactive with question etc.

The one I posted about I think is given by a professor of physics from Cambridge.

His book with the same name is available online on his site.

http://www.withouthotair.com/

ok book, one of the better ones on the subject

You have to be a member of the IoP looking at that link.. so not happening, unless you are going to PM us all your login :P

It's the Institute of Physics - what on earth made you think Cells might be a member? :lol:

What do the fundamental limits of physics say? How does our current energy consumption compare with our sustainable energy options?
Certainly Britain could produce 100% of its electricity from renewables (wind, solar, wave, tidal and small scale river-flow hydro). Whether we ever go that far is another matter. Proposals for offshore windpower would see up to one third of our electricity coming from wind power, depending on conditions. A Severn tidal barrage would generate 7% of all our electicity needs - more than enough to run all the electric trains in this country several times over - I did check this once - I managed to find a figure for the total demand created by all the electrified rail services, but I've forgotten it again now!

I think our maximum energy requirement reaches around 60 gigawatts in mid winter. Nuclear power stations are typically about 1 gigawatt apiece. Large wind turbines are typically about 2 megawatts though there are bigger ones. So a nuclear power station has the equivalent output to around 500 of the big turbines.

Edited by blankster

Certainly Britain could produce 100% of its electricity from renewables (wind, solar, wave, tidal and small scale river-flow hydro). Whether we ever go that far is another matter. Proposals for offshore windpower would see up to one third of our electricity coming from wind power, depending on conditions. A Severn tidal barrage would generate 7% of all our electicity needs - more than enough to run all the electric trains in this country several times over.

I think our maximum energy requirement reaches around 60 gigawatts in mid winter. Nuclear power stations are typically about 1 gigawatt apiece. Large wind turbines are typically about 2 megawatts though there are bigger ones. So a nuclear power station has the equivalent output to around 500 of the big turbines.

I strongly recommend you and anyone else who has an interest in this topic read his book.

He has kindly put up a free downloadable version on his website.

http://www.withouthotair.com/download.html

I did read another fairly objective book on the subject a few years ago. That author started by investigating whether or not we could become fully dependent on renewables and concluded it would be possible but impractical, and worked backwards from there - a bit like what I did with my post above.

Edited by blankster