House Price Crash Forum
Guest BoomBoomCrash

Fancy A Job At Asda?

Guest BoomBoomCrash

Sounds to me the people in this promo video were reading their lines at gun point.I mean one is left with the distinct impressions that ASDA views these people as little more than children, to be patronised and belittled.It is also interesting that all these 'bonuses' involve deductions being taken form staff pocket money wages.

Edited by BoomBoomCrash

Guest absolutezero

Sounds to me the people in this promo video were reading their lines at gun point.I mean one is left with the distinct impressions that ASDA views these people as little more than children, to be patronised and belittled.

Work for a large corporation?

I'd rather eat your vomit!

Guest Parry aka GOD

I thought you worked for the largest corporation of the lot?

how very patronising

unlike you i know someone who worked at asda. he worked in an asda warehouse and did very well out of the sharesave scheme. the company chipped in money for the scheme (couldn't tell you how much though).

perhaps you should take your head out of your **** for once and listen to this.

http://www.econtalk.org/archives/2009/06/p..._on_workin.html

Today's corporates are being organised on almost "cult" lines.

Their "annual celebration of success" complete with stretch limo's seems like a "must avoid at all costs" to me.

Yep, neuro-linguistic programming, transactional analysis, psychobabble, people using bizarre management speak as if they're in a trance, etc. Even lowly McJobbers are 'performance managed' and have elaborate 'appraisals'. Your ability to turn up and switch off in a mind-numbing McJob as been taken from you.

You are now just a cow in a Stalinist farming co-op - milked for evermore 'production'.

Yep, neuro-linguistic programming, transactional analysis, psychobabble, people using bizarre management speak as if they're in a trance, etc. Even lowly McJobbers are 'performance managed' and have elaborate 'appraisals'. Your ability to turn up and switch off in a mind-numbing McJob as been taken from you.

You are now just a cow in a Stalinist farming co-op - milked for evermore 'production'.

Yeh its why I'll never be employed again. Its not enough to just turn up anymore, even if you are shelf stacker. Only a matter of time before Asda implant microchips into their employee's heads (if they aren't already).

"oh its really a bonus, it wakes me up in the morning and gets me to work.."

Yeh its why I'll never be employed again. Its not enough to just turn up anymore, even if you are shelf stacker. Only a matter of time before Asda implant microchips into their employee's heads (if they aren't already).

"oh its really a bonus, it wakes me up in the morning and gets me to work.."

I can't be bothered to watch the video as I used be a line manager when I graduated from uni and it got shitter and shitter year after year..typical retail 15.5k per year and 70-80 hr working weeks. It worked out some weeks I was earning less than the shelf stacker's per hr. And the annual bonus is a joke. First of all the company has to meet it's profit targets for you to qualify to get bonus which is understandable but then the store you work at has to do better than expected. If you were in a good store you could get 1250 quid as a manager if not tough. It used to get a lot of backs up where a store down the road was getting bonus and you weren't. Glad I lft and got a proper job in a decent company.

Guest happy?
Corporates are organised on "cult" lines.

Their "annual celebration of success" complete with stretch limo's seems like a "must avoid at all costs" to me.

Corrected

Edited by happy?

I can't be bothered to watch the video as I used be a line manager when I graduated from uni and it got shitter and shitter year after year..typical retail 15.5k per year and 70-80 hr working weeks. It worked out some weeks I was earning less than the shelf stacker's per hr. And the annual bonus is a joke. First of all the company has to meet it's profit targets for you to qualify to get bonus which is understandable but then the store you work at has to do better than expected. If you were in a good store you could get 1250 quid as a manager if not tough. It used to get a lot of backs up where a store down the road was getting bonus and you weren't. Glad I lft and got a proper job in a decent company.

I left college in '76 and joined a local supermarket chain as a trainee and became a relief manager for 8 stores without any significant increase in pay. I had to do the lot - hire, fire, cash up, bank, payroll etc..as well as deal with a typical bully-boy area manager who delighted in trying to make young managers lives hell. In retrospect thats quite a lot for an 18 year old.

When I see managers in these big supermarkets today I wonder what it is they all do. Surely they can be little more than shelf-stackers themselves?

I enjoyed the job, but £23 a week was sh*t money even then and I doubled it when I left to join a factory production line.

Truth is, supermarket managers have generally always been overworked and poorly paid and the majority of graduates/college leavers are simply shop floor cannon fodder until they either wise up and leave or bum lick their way up to the next rung.

Like I said, I'd be happy just to stack a few shelves.

Sounds to me the people in this promo video were reading their lines at gun point.I mean one is left with the distinct impressions that ASDA views these people as little more than children, to be patronised and belittled.It is also interesting that all these 'bonuses' involve deductions being taken form staff pocket money wages.

You're certainly right, but should I lose my job and become desperate I'll take a job at ASDA or anywhere else for that matter :)

Today's corporates are being organised on almost "cult" lines.

I wonder if it's got worse at ASDA since they were swallowed up by Walmart - the yanks seem very big into the cultish corporate culture. I once worked for an Anglo American company and the US office have daily morning prayer meetings! You didn't have to join in, but it was very masonic/clanish and cultish in its feel (and presumably they thought I'd burn in hell for eternity for not being in their cult!).

I left college in '76 and joined a local supermarket chain as a trainee and became a relief manager for 8 stores without any significant increase in pay. I had to do the lot - hire, fire, cash up, bank, payroll etc..as well as deal with a typical bully-boy area manager who delighted in trying to make young managers lives hell. In retrospect thats quite a lot for an 18 year old.

When I see managers in these big supermarkets today I wonder what it is they all do. Surely they can be little more than shelf-stackers themselves?

I enjoyed the job, but £23 a week was sh*t money even then and I doubled it when I left to join a factory production line.

Truth is, supermarket managers have generally always been overworked and poorly paid and the majority of graduates/college leavers are simply shop floor cannon fodder until they either wise up and leave or bum lick their way up to the next rung.

Like I said, I'd be happy just to stack a few shelves.

They have no autonomy - have to get written permission from head office before they can take a piss.

You often see bureacracy and stiffling controls far worse than you will see in Government

Edited by Kurt Barlow

Having been made redundant from the Govt Sector last year I took up a post in a private sector corporation and have been surprised at how relatively friendly the orgnaisation is.

Local govt was nasty, parochial, corrupt (at the upper levels), and increasingly pointless.

In contrast in my new private sector I have been given far more responsibility and freedom to move - a refreshing change really.

Guest Parry aka GOD
Having been made redundant from the Govt Sector last year I took up a post in a private sector corporation and have been surprised at how relatively friendly the orgnaisation is.

Local govt was nasty, parochial, corrupt (at the upper levels), and increasingly pointless.

In contrast in my new private sector I have been given far more responsibility and freedom to move - a refreshing change really.

I was about to email you to see how you were getting on funnily enough. See told you you'd do good.

Good to hear it.

Obviously there's a spectrum in the private sector too but I agree that on the whole you'll have a better chance of working in a purposeful environment in business. If you're in a reasonable place you'll get freedom because it costs money to restrict you; all you have to do is use your freedom to given them what they want from you. That makes it conditional freedom, so always best not to have illusions of it approximating to anything like real freedom, but given most people have to spend 8 hrs a day doing stuff for money it makes a difference.

From my dealings with public sector organisations I think I would work in them only as the absolute last resort to avoid starving my kids and would make un utterly unmotivated employee given all I would want to do is get away from it.

How many jobs at Asda are full-time - and how many are part-time, intended/targetted at students, the semi-retired and working mums, knowing that students are grateful for any income, the semi-retired don't need it to live on and working mums then get huge top ups from WTC?

How many jobs at Asda are actually full-time, that would enable a single hard-working person of (say) 25-55 to actually be able to live a reasonable life?

Many retail organisations would rather employ three 16-hour part-timers (the magical number of hours for WTC) than to hire one full-timer.

And, do they actually have jobs, or do they have a jobs:applicants ratio of 1:1500?

I was about to email you to see how you were getting on funnily enough. See told you you'd do good.

Good to hear it.

Cheers Mike :)

Dream job really - I spend most of my time batting off professional 'trip' artists and their ambulance chaser lawyers. Saved the company approx £7000 this week alone from successful investigations. The 'up yours' letters to the solicitors will be going out on Monday :lol:

In contrast a couple of cases where staff have been injured and we are at least partly at fault I got the company to keep the employee on full pay (and as such negate the need / desire for the employee to sue). Just sticking them on stat sick pay is a false economy and costs us 3 times as much if we are at fault.

Obviously there's a spectrum in the private sector too but I agree that on the whole you'll have a better chance of working in a purposeful environment in business. If you're in a reasonable place you'll get freedom because it costs money to restrict you; all you have to do is use your freedom to given them what they want from you. That makes it conditional freedom, so always best not to have illusions of it approximating to anything like real freedom, but given most people have to spend 8 hrs a day doing stuff for money it makes a difference.

From my dealings with public sector organisations I think I would work in them only as the absolute last resort to avoid starving my kids and would make un utterly unmotivated employee given all I would want to do is get away from it.

I wouldn't go back other than in the same circumstances you describe

Last month I picked up on an issue which is probably costing the company around 2 million kwh of extra energy usage per annum across our 1000 plus pubs. I have put in place instructions and a section on the biannuial audit which will resolve this problem and save the company about £100K a year in electricity costs and an undetermined saving in equipment wear. The cost of implementation we estimate at £15-20K.

This is a no brainer and I was told just to get on with it and well done.

In contrast in Govt the idea would have had to have gone through half a dozen different committees and layers of management who would all want to put their rubber stamp on it. Any saving completely blown on bureacracy and feeding the internal memo beast.

Cheers Mike :)

Dream job really - I spend most of my time batting off professional 'trip' artists and their ambulance chaser lawyers. Saved the company approx £7000 this week alone from successful investigations. The 'up yours' letters to the solicitors will be going out on Monday :lol:

In contrast a couple of cases where staff have been injured and we are at least partly at fault I got the company to keep the employee on full pay (and as such negate the need / desire for the employee to sue). Just sticking them on stat sick pay is a false economy and costs us 3 times as much if we are at fault.

Agree with this totally. It is simpler for us as we have a policy of paying 100% when anyone is off sick for any reason for whatever period they are off. I've got one lady I'm paying full pay to who's been off over a year with terminal cancer; I know it's made her last months much more comfortable and less stressed. Also I don't dock pay for being late to work.

Like your own idea, it's not as expensive as people would think because you put it hand in hand with a ruthless attitude to blatently swinging the lead (like having loads of single sick days and the like when there's no underlying condition) - we fire anyone taking the piss because they spoil it for everyone else.

EDIT: Forgot the most important bit - the trust cultivated by the policy means abuse is extremely low. We have very, very low sick rates.

Edited by bogbrush

Last month I picked up on an issue which is probably costing the company around 2 million kwh of extra energy usage per annum across our 1000 plus pubs. I have put in place instructions and a section on the biannuial audit which will resolve this problem and save the company about £100K a year in electricity costs and an undetermined saving in equipment wear. The cost of implementation we estimate at £15-20K.

Changing the bog lights to automatic ones that detect motion?

:)

Having once been a highly-salaried professional engineer, and experienced the ridiculous stress levels that go with being a middle-class "professional" I'd be more than happy to take a low-paid part-time job in a supermarket.