House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Do You Or Your Mates Go Out On A Weekend

Just wondering, it is Saturday night and there are plenty of HPCers on here... I, myself, an contemplating going down the pub and for the past 3 hours have been weighing up the pros and cons of the price of the guinness, whether there will be any totty present, whether the totty will be...

Anyhow...

I was just wondering how many people bother going out on the weekend - Fri and Sat - these days or have you begun to reign in spending, can't be bothered, etc? If so, why?

What about friends, families, etc.

I have noticed here in Swansea it is dead on the weekends even in the centre of the town - something I did not see even during the 1980s recession. Pubs are closing left, right and centre and a local down the road plays that silly game of creating a queue outside even when there are s*d all people inside the pub... which just alienates punters.

Might be an early night with a glass of Jack D for me.

My Friday night session is sacred.

Pubs seem to be doing quite well in my neck of the woods - some old ones re-opening. I suspect that as time goes on peoples' spending habits will move away from holidays and tat, and back towards the traditional local.

Not tonight but Fridays and some Sundays I am to be found round the local CIU club....

Pretty well attended over the weekends and it has entertainment and bingo but not much so during the week. Things are getting better post smoking ban but that still had a big impact.

Big draw for me is lager at £2.11 a pint where the cheapest pub locally is another 50p dearer than that!! Not much totty to gawp at though!!

Guest theboltonfury
Just wondering, it is Saturday night and there are plenty of HPCers on here... I, myself, an contemplating going down the pub and for the past 3 hours have been weighing up the pros and cons of the price of the guinness, whether there will be any totty present, whether the totty will be...

Anyhow...

I was just wondering how many people bother going out on the weekend - Fri and Sat - these days or have you begun to reign in spending, can't be bothered, etc? If so, why?

What about friends, families, etc.

I have noticed here in Swansea it is dead on the weekends even in the centre of the town - something I did not see even during the 1980s recession. Pubs are closing left, right and centre and a local down the road plays that silly game of creating a queue outside even when there are s*d all people inside the pub... which just alienates punters.

Might be an early night with a glass of Jack D for me.

see you in off topic in about 5.

Just been to the pub where that scene from "Withnail and I" was filmed.

Enjoyed my meal very much. Chips could have been a bit crisper but otherwise very tasty. Talking of tasty, the men's bog has loads of pics of totty fishing, tooty shooting etc. Quite worth a visit.

i flirted briefly with the idea earlier, but the pleasures of a beer, bath, a book, and a couple of podcasts i've been saving completely trump anything i might derive from the centre of Stafford on a saturday night. i can see my mates any time

i went out last weekend. it was ugly. you either get the wild west, or dead dead dead here. lately it's both

with luck i move in a few weeks, and there's a little more going on where i'm going.

tip for the Government - rescind the smoking ban, that might be a start

I've got a shed load of pear cider for 50p a can and am sat watching csi. What more could a girl want? Ok, the freddo caramel will be next on the list.

Going out? it's been too dear for years. but I'm a miser.

I watched "District 9" earlier, so that's this week's discretionary spend.

What did you think? Was pretty confusing, humans were portrayed as being selfish, aliens were downtrodden. Was a lot of sub-text going on. Bit with the robot was cool. Was hoping for more of an alien response at the end, army of robots that sort of thing but overall thought it was excellent if a bit unsatisfying.

I've got a shed load of pear cider for 50p a can and am sat watching csi. What more could a girl want? Ok, the freddo caramel will be next on the list.

Going out? it's been too dear for years. but I'm a miser.

There is a Freddo caramel? Is it a bit of a frog shaped Chomp?

I'm off the beer...trying to lose my gut.

However, I'm watching World Trade Center on Channel 4 and it's making me wish i'd had a few - my god what a depressing film.

However, I'm going to stick on "The Dammed United" - bought today on Blueray. That should cheer me up..

There is a Freddo caramel? Is it a bit of a frog shaped Chomp?

No its a soft caramel like a, er, Caramel. Chomp was chewy iirc

On topic, I'm having to babysit this evening so not going out :(

What did you think? Was pretty confusing, humans were portrayed as being selfish, aliens were downtrodden. Was a lot of sub-text going on. Bit with the robot was cool. Was hoping for more of an alien response at the end, army of robots that sort of thing but overall thought it was excellent if a bit unsatisfying.

I enjoyed it. The relatively unfamilar South Africa backdrop was refreshing and lots of people exploded. The MacGuffin (sp?) didn't make much sense but then they aren't supposed to. I loved the way the robot/powersuit/whatever it was moved, like the operator wasn't in proper control of it.

Verdict: better than the new Terminator film, not as good as the new Star Trek film.

I'm off the beer...trying to lose my gut.

However, I'm watching World Trade Center on Channel 4 and it's making me wish i'd had a few - my god what a depressing film.

However, I'm going to stick on "The Dammed United" - bought today on Blueray. That should cheer me up..

The Damned United was great.

My mate and I are celebrating the Scotland victory by downing Crabbies Ginger Ale and watching Patrick Swayze singlehandedly defeat the Red Army in 'Red Dawn'. What a movie.

I live in the US-totally different. When people ask you out for a meal (or round for drinks) they mean 6-o-clock start and bugger off at eight. If you linger till nine or just after they look at you as if you just farted. Miserable gits most of em.

totally agree with the smoking ban in pubs, for a non smoker it used to be disgusting, you get home hair smells of smoke clothes smell of smoke,get into bed with girlfriend, her hair smells of smoke yuk yuk yuk. best thing to happen for years . ok the pubs may be less busy but i didn,t want to meet people that smoke anyway ITS A GRUBBY HABIT.

just been to my fave pub in formby merseyside and i can,t complain about the prices especially as its in the most expensive part of the liverpool suburbs, steven gerrard lives here etc etc, bottle of echo falls wine £4.95 (ok not the best but thats for a bottle not a glass) fosters £2.15 , becks £2.25 , heineken £3.10.

watched the england game felt a bit hungry so ordered a meal deal special of toasted baguette with chicken, blue cheese, mushrooms and mushroom salsa with a side of salad and chips and a pint of becks for £5.45. great value, nice pub, nice people hardly any chavs in this area.

however have noticed if i go into liverpool city centre at the weekend fridays are alot less busy recently, saturdays are still very busy but i dont see how these expensive city centre locations can survive on 1 busy night 1 ok night and 5 really quite nights so ithink many closures are coming up.

I rarely go out for a few beers with the lads I grew up with. House price inflation has scattered us so that whereas before we lived within a 5 minute walk of each other, now it's a 30 minute drive. When we do go out its an organised event with several weeks of planning about 4 times a year. The casual mid week drink has gone.

Most of my pub going is now lunchtimes for a meal and a pint.

I very rarely go down the pub to get pissed of an evening because the price of a pint is just silly compared to supermarket prices. My drinking used to be 90% pub: 10% home and now it's the other way round.

I've just got in from a quick walked and drive around the night-life of Swansea - the place is deserted.

I visited several wine bars, pubs and walked past various night-clubs - dead. I doubt any of them will have broken even tonight let alone made a profit. A very interesting look at the state of the economy, especially in a public sector dominated area where there have been few redundancies to date.

I noticed small shops closing over the past year, noticed curry houses and other restaurants going to short-day weeks and then closing but now the pubs and wine bars are devoid of trade on what should be the busiest time of the week. If they can't make money on a Saturday night when can they?

This is indeed a fascinating insight into the local economy - what are you seeing in your part of the World?

I will be having a reasonably expensive extended weekend (thurs - mon) in Amsterdam in two weeks. Some of my travelling companions are lunatics so it will doubtless become incredibly expensive. :o

The expensive weekend foreign trip is a bit of contemporary cliche but it'll be the first one I've done.

Tend to stay in more nowadays personally.. (although the tv is sh1te etc).. mostly because of mates getting married and stuff which seems to bring "restrictions".. Some general points..

Smoking in pubs I felt just went along with the general atmosphere of the pub. Not surprised this government got rid tho... pity they dont seem to want to break any power the supermarkets have - I appreciate the choice and price but what they give with one hand they do take with the other in that their power is destroying the local pub (along with the butcher, baker, candlestick maker)

I definitely preferred pubs with what you might call character rather than just another chain refit pub. What's so wrong with sticky carpets anyway? hehe..

And, do people think Facebook is really any kind of substitute for a good ol' booze up? :P

I enjoyed it. The relatively unfamilar South Africa backdrop was refreshing and lots of people exploded. The MacGuffin (sp?) didn't make much sense but then they aren't supposed to. I loved the way the robot/powersuit/whatever it was moved, like the operator wasn't in proper control of it.

Verdict: better than the new Terminator film, not as good as the new Star Trek film.

I watched it earlier, best film since the matrix. I particularly liked how all the actors were unknown which made it seem real.

I've been staying in at the weekends since January because I want to pay as much of my stupid mortgage off as possible.